Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sometimes working on your car can be a real pain
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Sometimes working on your car can be a real pain Reply with quote

Another 15 minute job that turned into a 2+ hour job.

I just received the new clips I ordered to attach the soft top to the windshield header on my Thing. The passenger side install went off without a hitch.

Then I started on the driver's side.

There's 3 screws that hold the hinge onto the soft top. Two of the screws broke off while I was unscrewing them.

CRAP Mad

So, I got out my drill and went to work drilling them out. The first one wasn't too bad. I managed to drill it out, use a tap, and install a heli coil. The second one was another story.

First, I broke off the end of a drill bit, with the piece of the bit stuck in the hole. Ever try and drill out a drill bit? It takes.......forever.

Next came the tap, which shouldn't have been a problem, except I broke off the end of the tap and it was stuck in the hole

Double crap. Mad Mad

The only option (besides ordering a new top) was to drill out the tap and those suckers are HARD.

I finally drilled it out and used a larger tap and installed a heli coil.

I guess I can expect more of this when working on a vehicle built 43 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes working on your car can be a real pain Reply with quote

Not a way to start your weekend...

But I guess the job got done. Sometimes you gotta be satisfied with that.

Mark
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sometimes working on your car can be a real pain Reply with quote

Working on old cars is definitely a test of character.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: