Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Hi, folks, I have a 57 ragtop with a 2 liter engine with a Kennedy 2,300 pound pressure plate (yes, it needed it, I smoked a 1,700 pound in a weekend). I got tired of the clutch pedal hook either peeling back, or simply breaking...I searched all over, and I couldn't find anyone who makes a new clutch pedal shaft... SO, I am going to start making them, out of 1045 carbon steel, with a flat 3/16" plate on the end with a grade 8 bolt, a la Pedalwerks/Classic Bugs, but their pedal assemblies are for 58 and later only. Nobody seems to offer anything except the brake pedal return springs, bushings, and brackets for these old assemblies...on the other end, I will be turning down the shaft, and using a Bronze Oilite bushing in the clutch pedal bracket, to help smooth things out. I suspect that I will have to take about 1/16" off the outer end of the clutch pedal, as that is the thickness of the flange on the bushing, in order to make the brackets line up with the nut plate on the pan.. Would there be any interest in a kit, that you can put together yourself, that should give you trouble-free service for the rest of your life? I'm trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to make jigs and fixtures, to locate the hole in the shaft for the clutch pedal retaining pin, make the 3/16" plate on the end of the shaft in precisely the right place every single time, or just make it a one-off? I have enough stuff to do 8 or 10 now, bushings, brackets, 1045 carbon steel rod, etc...and I have 5 pedal assemblies apart at the moment..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"

Last edited by Dave on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Okay, well, I guess this answers that question. Cool I have 8 or 9 clutch pedal shafts made already, they work really well, but I guess I'll stop there.

VW1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Hi Dave, are you selling shafts? Pictures?
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

VW 1234, I will be selling the shafts, but I want to put one in my friend's Oval this weekend, to make absolutely certain that everything is right, before I start selling them...I have 8 made, and have a few brackets, with the oilite bushing in them..once I know for a fact there is no interference anywhere, no binding, etc then I will begin to sell them.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Installed it in a friend's Oval about an hour ago, the ONLY modification needed, it to open up the clevis end of the cable, so it fits over the shoulder on the Grade 8 bolt...a tapered punch and a hammer did the trick nicely..It worked like a champ, NO interference issues Very Happy Very Happy Nice and smooth operation..
Now, I have to figure out how much I have invested in these, with the shaft, the grade 8 bolt and Nylock nut, and the oilite bushing..I don't want to make a killing on these, I just don't want to lose money, and help other Oval owners out Cool

(1)-this is what you need, and I can supply, as soon as I figure out if this will fit into a USPS small Flate Rate Box, or padded mailing envelope:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(2) the old hook shaft on the top, and the one I made on the bottom...the clutch cable being on the outside compensates for the bend in the hook.

(3) shows how it will all fit together...NOTE: depending on the fit on your floorpan, you MIGHT have to grind a very small bit of the outside of the clutch pedal, to make up for the 1/16" flange thickness on the bronze oilite bushing.

Photo #4- The bushing is designed to fit into your stock pedal bracket.

VW1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Looks great Dave! I'm very interested, let me know when you figure out a price.
Did you make these yourself?

-Chuck
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Chuck, I sent you a private message on here. Thank You !!!

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

These are now ready for those big cc engines with lotsa horsepower and clutch...they are in stock.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

and this is the last batch I am going to make..long story short, I gave my word to a competitor that I would stop making them after I went through the materials I had on hand...I wish I hadn't said I would quit, but I did, so, I will keep my word.
There are not a lot of these left, so if you want one, may I suggest you get on it? I hate to use the term "when they are gone, they are gone" but, that's the way it is.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Don't have that many left; when they are gone, they are gone...

flymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
and this is the last batch I am going to make..long story short, I gave my word to a competitor that I would stop making them after I went through the materials I had on hand...I wish I hadn't said I would quit, but I did, so, I will keep my word.
There are not a lot of these left, so if you want one, may I suggest you get on it? I hate to use the term "when they are gone, they are gone" but, that's the way it is.
Sooo is the competitor going to start making these for oval pedal clusters? I know someone makes them for 58- up.....
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Yes. I checked their website, and it said NOTHING about 1957 and earlier, so I -mailed them on November 16, 2016, asking if they planned on making them for 57 and earlier, as I knew they had previously, but had taken them off the market. On November 17th, I got a reply, simply saying NO, they are not going to make them. NOT "we don't make them now, but plan to re-introduce them" Not anything but "No, we do not carry those" SO, I went through the time and trouble to make the fixtures and jigs, order the 1045 steel and Grade 8 shoulder bolts, and went into production. Funny thing, FOUR DAYS LATER I see they are bringing out a revised (I think) version of the one they sold in 2010, and basically telling me I was ripping them off, being a copycat, not cool, etc etc. Now, if they want to say they had them first, in 2010, I have some old 35mm slides of the one I had made by Bannister Iron and Steel, in Escondido, CA, back in 2001-2002 (it's been a while, and I don't have the receipt anymore, and Bannister Iron and Steel only keeps records like that for 7 years) Anyway, their accusations caught me off guard, and I said on an internet forum that after I went through the material I already had, I would stop producing them. I wish I hadn't said that, but the fact remains, I did say that. SO, after these are gone, I will not be producing any more.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
. . . and basically telling me I was ripping them off, being a copycat, not cool, etc etc.

He must have a patent on them! Rolling Eyes
Let's see . . . that sort talk would prevent EMPI from producing those clutch shafts . . . at least for 10 or 15 minutes!!!!! Razz
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Neither one of us has a patent. They are expen$ive, take forever, and are a monumental PITA to file, submit, wait, and wait, and get one.
I said I would quit making them, and I will. My reputation as a man of my word is far more important to me than the few bucks I make on these.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

I still have a few left, if anyone wants to change their pedal assembly for the last time.... Cool

eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
...I wish I hadn't said I would quit, but I did, so, I will keep my word.

May Blessing come your way for being a man of your word.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
Dave wrote:
...I wish I hadn't said I would quit, but I did, so, I will keep my word.

May Blessing come your way for being a man of your word.

Thank You, eashc, I have been truly blessed Very Happy

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

The Oval forum is an oasis. Personal integrity and lack of pissing contests makes this place my first read of the day.
Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I still have a few left, if anyone wants to change their pedal assembly for the last time.... Cool

I know this is older, but do you have any still?

Thank you,
Drew
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and brake pedal assembly kit... Reply with quote

Drew, I will PM you..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: