Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Looking' good!!!

thanks
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so as work continues on my buggy, i decided to service the tranny as i dont know the whole history of it.
i pulled the plugs and like a cup of oil came out.
i let it drain for a few days as i only work on this thing once of twice a week.
the next night i put some new oil in the tranny.
let it sit for a few more days to settle into all the points.
came back to find this, i axle seal leak.
guess better to find it now then 60 miles down the road

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

needed to get my front bumper figured out. i had what i thought was a rear cage but it didnt fit. so i was looking at it one niht and thought would it fit on the front and sure it did

but didnt like the looks, so i modified it a little

wasnt quite sure of it so i bent up a different one

was not sure on that one either so i tried something else

but eventually went back to the orignal but closer to the car, also got the towbar made too

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Make sure you can take the hood off with the bumper being so close to the body. I shortened mine and I have to unbolt the body and lift if up to get the hood off. I hate the looks of the bolt on mounts so I welded mine to the beam, at least you can pull your bumper off.......

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Make sure you can take the hood off with the bumper being so close to the body. I shortened mine and I have to unbolt the body and lift if up to get the hood off. I hate the looks of the bolt on mounts so I welded mine to the beam, at least you can pull your bumper off.......

brad

i thought about that too, and actually all the work was done with out the hood on. i did think afterwards what if i cut it to short. it was good then i added the tabs for lights and didnt prefit that. it just clears lucky me. i might still trim them back a little.

i am going to use the mount for the bumper as a mount for the hood. no screws in the sides. just some angle iron on the front and the windshield support
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

well my hood hold down idea went to the birds. i could not get it to work, so back to the screws in the sides no big deal

i am heading to my first car show tomorrow as a work in progress, but i can say i drove it for the first time today and towed it about 4 miles from the shop to my house with no issues. heres a pic as it sits now

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

so back working on the buggy, well have been all the time just forget to take pics.
since last above post i have got the cage built, seat belts for 4 figured out re did the lower steering shaft

and now in the process of taking it totally apart to fix all the little things and then final assembly.

so with one of the little things is redoing my front beam.
i am taking out the "cut" leafs and installing only 1 spring pack with a solid var in the top.

when i originally put the front end together i had no idea of the shim had a certain configuration, now i do
but question is given it is a 64 pan and from what i have found the 61 and up had a seal of some sort install in the shim pack,.
i dont have said dust seals and found that i should us the chart for 10 shims.

Is this correct?
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oh and i think i fixed my shifter so it shifts proper with the reverse lock out
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Got my front “sway bar” made and installed. Still need to finish putting the front end back together. One full leaf pack in the lower tube and the bar in the upper. Hopefully the end result works out like the idea in my head. I will post pictures when it’s back on the ground.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I wouldn't have cut the middle down like that, I would have just knocked out the center fixture. What you've done is significantly reduced the strength of the bar and those sharp edged are where it's going to break.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I wouldn't have cut the middle down like that, I would have just knocked out the center fixture. What you've done is significantly reduced the strength of the bar and those sharp edged are where it's going to break.

brad

i am gonna try it cutting out the center square is something i wasnt sure about.
if it breaks quickly i will look at other options.
i am thinking this is better then welding squares onto a round shaft, but i am no engineer.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

From 'net pictures the SV sway bars (or maybe it was Formula First?), it appeared to be made from a section of tubing with square cross-section solid pieces welded to the ends. I suppose the tubing wall thickness could be tailored for the amount of "springiness" desired, plus add some lightness. The square ends engaged the trailing arm spring pack openings. I agree with slalom that the reduced middle section is where most of the twisting will occur and likely fatigue early. Ideally you'd reduce the solid bar to a round cross-section for about 70-80% of the length - leaving the ends square.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

well after dping some more digging on the good old net. i feel fairly ok with my design, time will tell, and with no one here near me nobody would seen an obituary.
if this design fails rapidly i will let everyone know, if i am not in the grave, and then at that time look at it again.
i have read 2 or 3 different posts about removing the upper spring pack and installing a bar.
one even said to use a 1" drill on a 3' extenstion to drill out the square.
might be the next choice.
but if anyone knows its hard to make a square hole round. Confused
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Found you! Wink

You have put a lot of work into this Buggy! Ours was mostly drivable when I bought it but the more I drive it the more I want to change!

Very interested in your front leaf mod, I need to do something on ours too. It sits too high for proper steering geometry and handling. I seriously doubt that bar you put in will break running it on the street and if it does start to fail it will take on a twist first and show up as the buggy sitting crooked. That is assuming it to be mild steel.

I have been wanting to meet up with the Calgary FB guys. Maybe this spring we could meet there?
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Found you! Wink

You have put a lot of work into this Buggy! Ours was mostly drivable when I bought it but the more I drive it the more I want to change!

Very interested in your front leaf mod, I need to do something on ours too. It sits too high for proper steering geometry and handling. I seriously doubt that bar you put in will break running it on the street and if it does start to fail it will take on a twist first and show up as the buggy sitting crooked. That is assuming it to be mild steel.

I have been wanting to meet up with the Calgary FB guys. Maybe this spring we could meet there?

yeah i feel ok with it, if it breaks my nest step will be to drill out the center square and instal a sraight bar.
i have not really drove mine more then about 3 blocks so i am not sure how dependable it is but its got a tow bar so towing to calgary and driving it around might be ok
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

You might be pleasantly surprised. I did a few 1/2 hour runs around here when we first got ours just sorting out tuning issues, then a 3 hour trip on my own. That convinced me that all was good so we loaded it up and did a 22 hour round trip to Vernon BC pulling a small trailer with a canoe on it. Did fine, no breakdowns at all.

Since then we have not hesitated to go anywhere. Yes it burns oil and gas stops are about 3 hours apart but it is a total hoot especially the reactions you get from others!

I would be tempted to trailer it to Calgary right now in this weather but once it warms up - no way! Hair straight back for the 3.5 hours it takes to get there buddy!! Very Happy Very Happy

And all the way home too!! Very Happy Very Happy
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

we shall see
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I'm just wondering how you made out with the engine and what the final configuration is?
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I'm just wondering how you made out with the engine and what the final configuration is?

very confused on this question. can you elaborate more please
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I was looking back over your build thread and about a year ago it looked like you had a 1600 single port with stock carb and distributor in the Buggy. Is that what you still have?

Did you rebuild it or was it a good runner you found?

Did you find all the tin bits needed to complete the cooling system? Thermostat?

Maybe I missed it all somewhere.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: