Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

I have an 84 Westy with a 91 Subaru 2.2 that's been running well up until the last 100 or so local miles.

A couple of times leading up to today, it felt like someone turned the key off, pressing on the gas had no effect, but this would end rather quickly, within 10 seconds or so. Happened maybe 3 or 4 times.

Today, the van would start but the engine would surge between 500 and 1500 RPMs, and then stall if I hit the gas. I was able to limp it around a little bit, but every time I would get above 2500 RPMs or so, it felt like someone was squeezing my fuel line. Pressing on the gas pedal would result in worse performance, and the engine seemed starved of fuel. Lots of bucking if I tried to gas it harder.

Van was low on fuel today, I thought I ran out, but same symptoms now that it has about a 1/2 tank of gas.

Installed a new fuel filter within a year or so. Fuel tank is maybe 3 years old.

I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump. I can hear it when I turn the ignition, but it seems like the engine is not getting the fuel it needs. Can fuel pumps fail like that, where they work but don't pump the required fuel pressure?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

My fuel pump went like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

bucking is a good indication of a lean operating symptom.
mine did that also when the fuel pump died.
have a 1989 ford f250 pump now the last few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

Hi Dan! Those clutch parts are still running strong, van has been cross country with no further clutch issues, thanks again!

This issue ended up being a bad Subaru mass airflow sensor. When I started the van without it plugged in, it ran way better. Although I've read that this is not a definitive test (I think the ECU disables some other inputs if it sees the MAF missing) it was a bad MAF in my case.

Grabbed a used one from a pick n pull and the van is running strong again.

This has got me motivated to get some gauges installed so I have a better idea of what is going on when things act up.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

Ohh, Hey great..
it's tough to nab parts in a pinch. and Vince is a great guy/friend/mechanic..

you may be able to read the OBD-I system for some of the ECU inputs & vitals. check with the Subie guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

Yeah, deciding on whether to piece together a real time OBD1 diagnostic tool for the EJ22.

This guy has a great writeup http://www.4bc.org/vanagon/engine.html

Tempted to put together that Evoscan tool.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

Driverdave -- good job diagnosing that. I have a subie power plant but haven't run into that problem yet.
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Driverdave -- good job diagnosing that. I have a subie power plant but haven't run into that problem yet.

Thanks! I ordered that Evoscan cable & software, I'll update here when I get it in. Gonna try to get some gauges in the van as well.

Next time I have an issue, definitely want more info on how things are running.
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucking Under Heavy Gas & Higher RPMs Reply with quote

Got the Evoscan cable & software.

Works well! Probably could have made the cable for far less, but I appreciate the effort, and the software is nice, so happy to support them. If you have an EJ22, would recommend this, nice to be able to see live engine diagnostics.

This has me motivated to start an Arduino project for a dashboard gauge. Going to try to cobble together something to pull the water temp reading from the Subaru SSM port. After that, will try to add in an oil pressure gauge.

Just ordered a basic Arduino starter kit to get familiar with things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: