Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

The odometer on my '91 Jetta diesel quit working recently. Actually, it quit then worked a very little bit then quit again. Speedometer works fine, but odometer and trip odometer don't work. Any ideas? Can I fix this myself or is it time to look for another cluster? I'd like to keep the miles accurate if I can. Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

It's the little plastic gear that drives the shaft with the numbers on it, it's amazing that it's lasted this long. Some people have been able to slide the gear out a little, use a dab of super glue & slide it back in place. If you do have any luck with it, don't reset the trip odometer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

Personally, I would not use any "glue" . Rather, if the gear is NOT cracked, slide it off and "score" the metal shaft where it sits, with a couple of angled "bites" from some diagonal pliers. That will totally be enough to keep the gear in place. Personal example: I did this on my 85 Golf when I bought the car 16 years ago. Guess what? It is still going strong and has spun around over an additional 220,000 miles.

Now, if the gear is cracked, that's different: "Just Say No To Crack"... and you'll need to replace it, if it looks anything like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

FYI, car w/o a trip-odometer don't seem to have this issue. My 1980 Rabbit turned the odometer about 5 or 6 times and never had a problem.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

Well, the 85 Golf I mentioned above, certainly DOES have a trip meter, and it definitely had a bad odometer drive gear when I bought it in 2001, with an uncracked gear that was running a bit "loose" on the shaft.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

Thank you. I guess I'll have to dig into it one of these days. Are you saying that after I get this corrected there's a better chance of it staying fixed if I don't use the trip odometer?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

Resetting the trip odometer definitely caused the issue.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

http://www.odometergears.com/

to buy new gears... remember by law you are tampering with it to fix it.. why im impressed those people still offer the gears... you will not buy them anywhere else... i remember the days when you could buy new ones from vdo.. till it was breaking the law...
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It's the little plastic gear that drives the shaft with the numbers on it, it's amazing that it's lasted this long. Some people have been able to slide the gear out a little, use a dab of super glue & slide it back in place. If you do have any luck with it, don't reset the trip odometer.

I must have been lucky with mine. It lasted until I quit driving the car with over 750,000 km on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
remember by law you are tampering with it to fix it.. why im impressed those people still offer the gears... you will not buy them anywhere else... i remember the days when you could buy new ones from vdo.. till it was breaking the law...

This is one statement that proves everything on the internet is NOT true.

Fixing an odometer is not tampering. Fixing an odometer is not fraud. Fixing an odometer is not breaking the law. Making odometer parts is not breaking the law either. VDO may have stopped making gears for the public, but not because it was 'Breaking the law'. Fixing an odometer will not put you in jail or even pay a fine.

VDO stopped making gears for the public just like most companies stopped making small parts, it costs too much money and the market was not there. The way they print gears anymore, it's fairly easy for someone to make their own. That is why there is a small industry that does that.

http://www.rolledbackodometer.com/federal-odometer-law.html
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

Thanks again. We've been using the trip odometer to check fuel mileage thus resetting it every tank full. Now I know that's a bad idea, and I'll stop doing it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

I've held off on replying to the trip meter stuff, but my take on it, that thing rotates NO MATTER if you push the reset button or not. I totally fail to see how resetting it would cause issues. Also, I've pushed mine at least 650 times since I did the fix I mentioned above... and you'll never guess, it still works just fine and has never had any issues. I do not plan to stop using it.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

I suspect the problem arises when the trip odometer is reset while the car is in motion. Some of the cars have a plastic gear & others have a metal gear. I'm sure the longer hot summers may play a role too. I probably replaced 200 of the units before they were discontinued & before the gears were available

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I've pushed mine at least 650 times since I did the fix I mentioned above

SINCE I did the fix being the operative phrase. The plastic gear is just a friction fit on a polished metal shaft from the factory, once you alter that then you shouldn't have an issue.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

A couple burr on the shaft holds the gear on.

Many German cars [Mercedes/BMW/VW, etc] had the same issue and I've fixed them at the dealership since the 80's. The parts manager would hate me because I never sold a speedo, but I always looked at it that I could fix the customers complaint that day and it was cheaper for them.

Of course, I made a couple more bucks too.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I suspect the problem arises when the trip odometer is reset while the car is in motion. Some of the cars have a plastic gear & others have a metal gear. I'm sure the longer hot summers may play a role too. I probably replaced 200 of the units before they were discontinued & before the gears were available

I've seen this comment in other forums. I had a Cabriolet whose odometer stopped working when I forgot to reset the trip meter at the gas station, and decided to reset it while going up the on-ramp. Stopped working immediately.

I fixed it with a little super glue that evening in the hotel room. I was on the first leg of a road trip and was excited to get an idea of the mileage I was getting as I had just swapped in a 1.6 diesel motor.

That was years ago, but I recall that mine was a plastic gear and it cracked.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 VW Jetta Odometer Inoperative Reply with quote

I FINALLY got around to working on this. Found the little red plastic gear to be split. I used a 1/8" twist drill and while holding the gear gently with pliers to kind of keep it from spreading at the crack, ran the drill through it a couple times to remove enough material so that the crack would be pretty much closed up when pushed onto shaft. I thought if I didn't do that, the mesh of the gears might be messed up at that point. Then after cleaning things with alcohol, I applied super glue carefully and sparingly, pushed gear on, and let set overnight. It's been working fine since then.

Oh, guess what! Now my '84 Jetta has the same problem. I presume the fix is about the same. Am I right?

Thanks, guys, for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: