Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Hi guys
I wanted to ask for your input and pictures if you have em. When my bus is ready for the all important family camping trip I want to take up some extra power. Meaning a small generator I have been thinking of ways to put it in the bus and brands since there is 1 million different generators out there I was wondering if you guys could show me your set up and what kind of generator you prefer with specs ,wattage ,runtime ext ... I was thinking of the Honda EX 1000 here's a pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Ya..so if you guys could please show me your generator set up in your bus to give me some ideas I would much appreciate it thank you!! Very Happy
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting I to am curious. Please do share.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

The Honda generator line is pretty much the best you can get. I have used several of them over the years, and a I know many people living off the grid that use them for their homes. To pick the needed size, add up the power consumption needs of all your stuff, add another 20%, and choose the generator that will work.

I am considering the EU2000 for a backup home generator. I can run a few lights and keep the fridge and freezer working as necessary during a power outage with that one. Also works great to run my small table saw and a few tools on job sites that do not yet have power. We have done that a few times over the years.

But I have to ask, why the need for a generator for camping? I thought camping meant getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, including the need for the instant gratification of electronic gadgetry.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Seems to be many sub $300 invertor based 1000w generators available these days. Plenty of 1000w to 2000w between $300 and $500 range. Tempted to get one someday but for home use but could come in handy for extended long camping sessions.

I like the compact size and less weight of the smaller 1000w units. Normally around 30 pounds. Easier to carry around. May be suitable for small power needs.

The 2000w would be more useful though. The Harbor Freight has a small compact Predator model that can be had between $400 and $500. Two can be paralleled together too for 4000w.

But something to run the home fridge in a power outage would be nice.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
The Harbor Freight has a small compact Predator model that can be had between $400 and $500. Two can be paralleled together too for 4000w.

TJ
I have had a few of those HF 800w / 2stroke- and 3 outta 4 isn't bad. Hey- they were $89.00---

One had a poorly installed main brn.-- any way- found out the little devil would run a med sized swamper--(everything else is gravy)-- BUT- you had to start the fan spinning first.

Then I like the 2 stroke as when it runs out of oil/gas it quits.

But to upgrade I got the Dometic 2800 (I think)- It was electric start inverter model- That works still- but the designers put in a 12vt looking 6vt battery and that died on the charger.--New battery was $67- But still run it at the storage. Hope it last the summer running an air conditioner.

Contemplating the HF gen and a 3 gallon boat gas can and a lay down propane 5 gallon tank to fill the storage on the Rivi- we'll see.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
amishman wrote:
The Harbor Freight has a small compact Predator model that can be had between $400 and $500. Two can be paralleled together too for 4000w.

TJ
I have had a few of those HF 800w / 2stroke- and 3 outta 4 isn't bad. Hey- they were $89.00---

this is the one i had meant.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-peak1600-running...62523.html

good reviews too.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Generally, the Harbor Fright generators are not repairable, and 1 out of every few seems to die an early death. Keeping one for "emergency backup" wouldn't be my first choice.
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
The Honda generator line is pretty much the best you can get. I have used several of them over the years, and a I know many people living off the grid that use them for their homes. To pick the needed size, add up the power consumption needs of all your stuff, add another 20%, and choose the generator that will work.

I am considering the EU2000 for a backup home generator. I can run a few lights and keep the fridge and freezer working as necessary during a power outage with that one. Also works great to run my small table saw and a few tools on job sites that do not yet have power. We have done that a few times over the years.

But I have to ask, why the need for a generator for camping? I thought camping meant getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, including the need for the instant gratification of electronic gadgetry.

Hi, Very Happy to run :to run my flood lights, electric stove, radio, mini fridge when parked for long periods of time Cool ac unit ext... & most of ALL! Pice of mind knowing that I have good strong BACK UP POWER ! Just In case of dead battery ext... you never know! ... I'd rather HAVE IT and not need it VS NEED ONE and Not HAVE ONE! Very Happy NOTE: on a just weekend 'basis' I WOULD NOT BRING ALL mentioned above ! Very Happy that is stuff I would bring ( amongst other things ) Laughing for a trip consisting of a weeks time or more ...like when I go to AZ,MEXICO,COLORADO ext... Smile
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Noise level also needs to be considered, especially when camping. At full power some of those generic brands are wakeup-the-entire-neighborhood crazy loud. The HF model is 66dB, almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner and 25% louder than the Honda at full power. Over twice as loud as the Honda when the Honda is at 1/4 power (53dB).

[/quote]

this is the one i had meant.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-peak1600-running...62523.html

good reviews too.

tj[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

I have heard very good things about this Ryobi generator and they are about 50% or less the cost of Honda. Also come with wheels so you don't have to lug it with the handle. You can buy them at home depot

RYOBI Model # RYCI2001 | Store SKU # 1000783343

2000 Starting Watt Inverter Generator

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000783343.html...wAodo00OLA

I have the Honda EU2000 and it is whisper quiet when running on Eco mode. That being said I was surprised that when it has sat for a month it is a PITA to start. Honda blames crappy gas (stabilizer etc etc) but I also have a Yamaha 7200 watt generator (a beast both in size and performance- not to be lugged in your car) and it doesn't seem to care if it has been sitting months. I wish I could say I was more tickled than I am with the Honda but I would be lying if I did. Great when it runs but having had other Honda products I can't say I am super thrilled with it. If you do get the EU2000 make sure to drain the gas when not in use and use a fuel stabilizer!
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Honda EU2000 is the way to go. I would suggest listening before you buy. Many tool rental spots rent generators. Try them before you buy. My .02
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Anyone with a pic of there set up in there bus? Very Happy location, wiring ,sound proofing? Ext... Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

You can't setup a generator in a Bus. It's an internal combustion engine full of fuel. You don't want it near your Bus while camping as its hot and spews CO.

I'm not sure where generator camping fits in between tent camping and an RV Park.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
Anyone with a pic of there set up in there bus? Very Happy location, wiring ,sound proofing? Ext... Very Happy

Nothing to it (no pics, though):
Open the cargo doors, set generator on the floor with your stuff, arrive at the campground, take it out, set it on the ground, pull the cord, plug in your floodlights, and irritate the fuck out of other campers with light, noise, and smell.
If you want to run it inside the bus, skip steps four and five, turn the muffler toward a cracked-open cargo door.
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Very Happy bump
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

If you need a generator while camping, just stay home.

If you can't run it off a camping battery you don't need it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

With the HUGE leaps that SOLAR technologynhas taken in the past few years on both price and operation, no way would I lug a generator and extra gas inside my unit! That being said, if you plan to run a window Air Conditioner... solar won't do it. Everything else? Sure can!

I'm with the ditch the generator crowd, an old type2 is small to begin with, now put in a heavy generator that has the potential to become an unsecured projectile and kill you.......

IMHO
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
the potential to become an unsecured projectile and kill you.......

IMHO
Dave

So, secure it. Straps are cheap.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

I'd rather fold out 5 solar panels like on this Recon as the quieter option for camping & leave the generator home.
https://www.reconcampers.com/packages-options
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators for your bus and camping trips!! set ups & Brands ? Reply with quote

Ive seen the expensive ones take a shit way too soon, and the cheepo ones last long time. Ive got 3 ( living in herbicane ally you need a few) my HF 5000 watt works just fine, the old Kawasaki works just fine but is only about 1600 watt as ai recall, might be 2000. then there is the yamaha suit case ef600 Shocked it will run a refrigerator but not a coffee pot....it's super quiet. but the main jet is so fricken small you have to remove it and clean it every time you want to use the dam thing if it's not run for 2 weeks or more.I mean it's tiny Ive never seen a idle jet that small. if I were gought to get one I would figure what I needed and get at least the next size up...or 2 sizes up if you can. and run it for about 30 min then change the oil!!! then again after 1.5 hours. I put synthetic in mine after the 4 th oil change. and make sure you use the right size extension cords!!!!!! romex 12 ga is a pain in the ass but it does make good ext cords and put a box on the end. I need to get them all out and run them...been a few years, but they always start right up...execpt for that dam yamaha....( and I was a yamaha certified tech Shocked )Ive tried every thing.same results.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: