Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oops.. another fuel hose reminder..
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Is the orientation of the generator clamp correct? Confused

Yeah but the generator is missing its dust cover. Haha

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

and the right side fresh air hose clamps are in the wrong position Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Is the orientation of the generator clamp correct? Confused

Yeah but the generator is missing its dust cover. Haha

69 engines didn't have them Wink Trust me, I double and triple checked. I've also read they are not good for the generators as it prevents cooling air from getting inside them. 69' engines also didn't have the rubber boots over the generator power lugs.

60ragtop wrote:
and the right side fresh air hose clamps are in the wrong position Shocked

Eh?

vamram wrote:
quot;]

Ok Bill...admit it: You're a Photoshop expert! Very Happy How on earth can a driven engine EVER look that clean?!?! Shocked

Full disclosure? The bug isn't driven that much. I think I've put 5k miles on it since 2002. It's a full time sunday cruiser or quick errands runner. I try to get my gal to drive it to work when it's nice in Arizona but she's too scared to crash it. I remind her it's only a car..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went out this am and installed the screw I forgot to put back on the bowden cable securing clamp at the top of the oil bath. I also took off the vacuum advance steel hose and spent 4 hours lol meticulously straightening it with straight edges and a laser for Joey's OCD. Laughing I then polished it real quick as well.

I'm glad Joey pointed that out as it does look much better though the picture makes it looked kinked a bit by the spark plug boot on the distributor cap which it's NOT! Very Happy

I'm trying to track down the correct wiring harness and plastic 4 slot wire connector for the license plate light. I posted this on another thread and got some good answers.

For someone viewing this thread in the future looking for originality, there's two things missing on my engine that I'm aware of that I plan to address.

1) A smog decal and the M157 M-code smog stamp on the fan shroud.

The above picture is off a unmolested 1969 bug engine delivered in the USA. You can see the M157 stamp and the smog decal behind the coil in this photo. I contacted the Samba member of this bug/engine via PM. He replied that it was his mother in laws car as she sold it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/12_68bug_uk/40.jpg

the top clamp should be positioned like this so you don't chew the crap out of your hands while changing the spark plugs.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/12_68bug_uk/40.jpg

the top clamp should be positioned like this so you don't chew the crap out of your hands while changing the spark plugs.

Aww.. gotcha! Another thing I didn't notice.

Thanks

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

For someone viewing this thread in the future looking for originality, there's two things missing on my engine that I'm aware of that I plan to address.

1) A smog decal and the M157 M-code smog stamp on the fan shroud.

Bill,
here is a picture of the front side of an original 69 autostick engine I am thinking of buying:

It shows the M157 stamp on the fan shroud, but what is the designation number next to it? Would that have something to do with it being an autostick?
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

Amazing looking engine.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

Really? Four hours? To straighten a shepherds crook? LOl.

Aren't all of the fresh air clamps supposed to be pointing inward? Toward the center of the engine?

I can see some dust on the oil filler draft tube that should be cleaned off.

And what is the correct orientation of the gen strap? Is it to the right or the left? Zundeloge1432 is always bitching about this and, to my knowledge has never revealed the correct orientation.
All of the beetles that I have owned have had the open end of the clamp situated to the left.

Bill your engine is a work of art. Thank you for posting these pics.

Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
And what is the correct orientation of the gen strap? Is it to the right or the left? Zundeloge1432 is always bitching about this and, to my knowledge has never revealed the correct orientation.
All of the beetles that I have owned have had the open end of the clamp situated to the left.

You have the 13mm fasteners on the left? How do they not intersect the accelerator pump on a stock carb?

If the fasteners and open clamp is up, I guess it could chafe on the wires. There was a thread here last week where someone was trying to be smart about it, but they didn't actually give us a reason why. I like the opening to the right of the generator/alternator, so the gap is between the pedestal and the body of the gen/alt. No chafing, no bumping, and the deforming of the straps happens in the air, not on metal.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Bill your engine is a work of art. Thank you for posting these pics.

Bill's engine shows the generator strap in the correct orientation, with the "open end" on the right, hex head bolt on top and nut on the bottom. To loosen or tighten, a box head 13mm wrench can hold the nut on the bottom while the bolt is loosened or tightened with a 13mm socket and extension.

I've R&R'd and stripped down/back up on over 50 different engines, and have never seen the strap oriented differently; remember also that my own two VWs became mine with just a couple of years on them, from first owner, and were not monkeyed with.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops.. another fuel hose reminder.. stock 69 engine Reply with quote

I thought I'd post some corrections in this thread for future searchers. The 3 slot spark plug and fuel line holder on the drivers side of the fan shroud didn't start until 1971. It was only a two slot spark plug holder on 69's. The fuel line was held with the vw clamp that uses the side fan shroud bolt that secures the fan shroud to the cylinder tin. The fuel line routes under the spark plug wire holder. BTW, I need to clean back there! Very Happy Shocked

I sourced a few of those used VW fuel line clamps. You then cut a piece of braided fuel line hose and wrap the steel line and then put it in the clamp. Once everything is tightened down, the fuel line is pretty rigid and won't vibrate or rub against anything. I used a bigger rubber grommet that fit the front tin where the fuel line exits the engine compartment through that tin.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: