Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got a Beetle!
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyt22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: I got a Beetle! Reply with quote

I encourage you to read about how I didn't get a Beetle here:My 16th Birthday. This will give you context to how I got a beetle.

I haven't told too many people about my 16th birthday devastation. It's done , and over with, I'm over it.

In 2007, I started dating a lovely lady, and at some point in our relationship, I did tell her this sad story. I don't recall ever dwelling on it, or even mentioning it outside of telling her the story, one time.

Well, this relationship was great, we got engaged, and in 2010, we were set to be married! I was not aware of a lot things that are involved in planning a wedding and all that jazz. One thing in particular was the Bride & Groom gifts, which were to be exchanged at the rehearsal dinner. I was made aware of this tidbit a couple weeks out from our big day.

I am not the best gift giver, but I try. Well, I knew she really wanted a nice set of earrings, so I set out to get her a really, really nice set of diamond earrings; they would match her engagement ring. I never thought they would be as expensive as they were, but that is what you do for the one you love, right?

Well, at our Rehearsal Dinner, I was stoked for her to open her gift. It wasn't a competition, but I was going to win; no way she could top it. Well, she opens her gift first, and she is happy, but her face said "I'm going to win!" I am given a fairly small box, wrapped.....sound familiar? I open the gift, and inside is a little, gray, convertible VW Beetle toy car. I find humor in this, but don't get the punchline. Under this toy, is a photo album, with the cover photo being of her sitting in a Beetle that looks just like the toy.

At this point, the pollen was high at our May wedding because my eyes started to water. Everyone is quiet, looking at me like, "WHAT IS THE GIFT!" I look at her, with the "is this for real" face. She tells me to look at her dad, and when I do, he is there, holding a VW Keychain with one single key!

I am floored at this point, not because I got a VW Beetle, but because she WON! Okay, no I couldn't have been happier at that moment. My wife, er soon to be, bought me a car! She took this sad moment in my history, and turned it into an incredible gift.

Shortly after we got back from our wedding, we went and picked my car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It needed/needs a decent amount of work, and I joined this site almost 7 years for information about how to do so. This site is really amazing! I am, somewhat, mechanically inclined, and am not shy about tinkering. This is my second post, long time lurker. We have a couple of children now, and having the time/money to work on my car is slim, but one day it will be restored to its glory.

Thanks for reading my story.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: I got a Beetle! Reply with quote

Nice story and Beetle, welcome!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: I got a Beetle! Reply with quote

That's an amazing story! Best of luck and wishes to your family, including the bug.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: I got a Beetle! Reply with quote

I read both of your posts.
The 16yo story ended badly and I feel for you. I know your over it. But man that was cruel.
Now this story even had a tear come up in my eyes. Great story!
You have a special wife. Make sure you keep her happy.
Hold onto that beetle. Time will come when you will have the time and resources to make it just the way you have dreamed it being all of those formative years ago.

Good Luck. Oh and a belated welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: