Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts Reply with quote

I've asked around several places, but thought I would check with the field of ultimate knowledge. I recently purchased this oval under the impression that it was a 55. Upon closer inspection, the body number coded it as a Late November or Early December 53.
*Chassis is long gone unless this was rebuilt by the factory or a dealer.
*A 1955 chassis came with the car at the time of sale.
*Body number is 503***.
*Ribbed doors with two rubber wedges on each B post
*semaphores
*56 only heater channels.
*Rear apron with cutouts for exhaust tips.
*Inspection hole behind rear seat.
*Spare tire well has spot welded clips instead of the punched out ones for pre-55.
*Jack clamp on passenger side 1/4 panel.
*Later batwing steering wheel
I am intending to use this for a Heb tribute, since the roof is beyond me wanting to repair, but would like to get any ideas where this oddity might have come from.

Inspection hole and cover supposedly ended in June of 1952.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jack clamp

What's left of the spare tire well with spot welded tabs

What looks like striped brown upholstery

Heater channel vent by B post
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts Reply with quote

... that is a mixed bag. I'd initially be confused too. 1953 had a starter push button on the dash and the ash tray had no bright surround.

... the body number 503*** could be a 1/54 or 3/57... looks like the heat channels are 1957 as 1956 had the same outlets, but were further forward and a later batwing...

The only thing throwing me off is the 2 rubber adjusters and cut-outs on the doors... have no explanation there...

Bottom line: I'd say it's a non-USA 1957... the cloth upholstery, later semi-batwing steering wheel, 1957 heat outlet placement, rear apron with pea shooter cut outs, non-USA semaphores, 3/57 body number, jack clamp - all indicate that it's a 1957.

... I'd say the access plate behind the seat was added, by someone... I add them all the time.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
I've asked around several places, but thought I would check with the field of ultimate knowledge. I recently purchased this oval under the impression that it was a 55. Upon closer inspection, the body number coded it as a Late November or Early December 53.
*Chassis is long gone unless this was rebuilt by the factory or a dealer.
*A 1955 chassis came with the car at the time of sale.
*Body number is 503***.
*Ribbed doors with two rubber wedges on each B post
*semaphores
*56 only heater channels.
*Rear apron with cutouts for exhaust tips.
*Inspection hole behind rear seat.
*Spare tire well has spot welded clips instead of the punched out ones for pre-55.
*Jack clamp on passenger side 1/4 panel.
*Later batwing steering wheel
I am intending to use this for a Heb tribute, since the roof is beyond me wanting to repair, but would like to get any ideas where this oddity might have come from.

Inspection hole and cover supposedly ended in June of 1952.

Jack clamp

What's left of the spare tire well with spot welded tabs

What looks like striped brown upholstery

Heater channel vent by B post

That doesn't fully explain what is going on here.

Is there any evidence that the entire front clip was replaced by cutting the heater channels somewhere in the door area and in the A pillars?

This was not an uncommon way to replace a heavily damaged front clip. This would explain most of the late details on the front clip and earlier details on the rear of the car from the doors back. The inspection plate is weird though. Looks like the factory inspection plate so if it was added then someone would have to had pulled that out of a split.

Another early detail is the '53 and earlier rear bumper mounts and that apron looks like it might have been replaced.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts Reply with quote

Front clip has not been replaced. I have looked to see any evidence of cutting or welding and have yet to find anything other than factory work.
The inspection hole has not been grafted in. It appears to have factory spot welds.
I will take some better pictures of the rear clip asap.
I appreciate the thoughts so far. I have already decided to use this car for
The Heb tribute, but would like to solve the puzzle.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Strange 53 Oval with multiple year parts Reply with quote

I thought I'd add a picture of the access hole without the cover. This was as delivered before clean up began.

I will take a better picture once I'm able. I'll also try to get a picture from the bottom side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: