Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

I'm back! Finally after a few years away from vans I have my dream van. A diesel powered HI Top Syncro Westy. It needs and will continue to need work, but after having 5 vans I can say that this one is here to stay.

I plan on using this thread to document my repairs, bolt-ons, and mods. I figure it will provide me with a good list of what has been and what needs to be done.

Van was imported by Rob T and is originally from the Netherlands. So it has all the little Euro bits that although quite interesting and unique here in the States do make it a little more difficult to say... hook up to shore power. Get a new skylight gasket. It has some rust, leaking door seals, and a few other small issues, (Like I blew out the front left drive line the second week I owned it) but overall it is solid and a blast to own.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bikes, KTM motorcycles, sailboats, and busted knuckles.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Nice Van Man.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

I'll give you $20.00 for the broken CV.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

I saw that Van about a month ago and talked to Rob. That was a great deal!
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
I'll give you $20.00 for the broken CV.

Stacy

Probably rebuilt it for a spare as I am sure the other will fail eventually.

Put on lt mirrors and have solved the camper unit issues. Looking forward to a weekend excursion.

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) house battery Reply with quote

Well, I thought I solved the camper battery issues. Replaced the assumed to be faulty relay and still no charge at the house battery. It seems to be all stock club joker wiring, but no juice. Anyone have an idea?

Front axle is now on. Had to remove the tie rod end, and drag link as well as a brake line to get it in, but pretty straight forward.

I miss having a garage. Working outside in the dark after work is not ideal. At least it wasn't raining.

I'll start tracing wires tomorrow. Still looking for a descent wiring diagram.

Cheerio.

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Update

Installed sound deadening throughout the front drivers area with rubber floor mats. Great upgrade. Less road noise and I can actually have a conversation now. Once it warms up I will apply it to the doors as well.

New window rubber on the front doors. Waiting for warmer weather to install the new door rubber on the front and slider. Have new rubber for a new front windshield, but need to take care of the usual rust in spots.

Debating suspension configuration. Current ride heights are as follows measured from hub to wheel arch

LR = 17.25"
RR= 17.5"
LF = 17.75"
RF = 18"

Thinking new Syncro.org springs with two shims at LR and one shim at RR. Currently running 215 75r15 on steelies and will most likely keep them for the foreseeable future.

A few little items over the last month. New sink drain via GW. New Lloyds mat in rear. Love it especially given the long muddy season in the PNW.

New window latches for awning window. via Campervan Culture. Also sourced a window seal for the upper front window in the Westy hi-top as it is currently leaking. Those guys are great. It got to me faster than most vendors stateside.

[/img]

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: ELECTRICAL GREMLINS Reply with quote

Help please.

I installed a go Westy dual battery kit which seemed to work, as my radio and lights are now running properly off of the factory house battery. However, The last two times the van hasn't run for the 48 hours both batteries are dead. Down to about 4 volts. I am pretty certain I installed everything correctly. Where could the draw be coming from, and why would it be drawing from both batteries. Once it is started it quickly charges both batteries as there is 14+ volts at ea while running.

It does have a AAZ diesel conversion. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: hitch Reply with quote

So, I need a hitch so I don't have to put things inside my van I don't want to put inside my van. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a hitch for the euro set up?

Should I just weld up one of these?

Thanks.

clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ELECTRICAL GREMLINS Reply with quote

getset wrote:
Help please.

I installed a go Westy dual battery kit which seemed to work, as my radio and lights are now running properly off of the factory house battery. However, The last two times the van hasn't run for the 48 hours both batteries are dead. Down to about 4 volts. I am pretty certain I installed everything correctly. Where could the draw be coming from, and why would it be drawing from both batteries. Once it is started it quickly charges both batteries as there is 14+ volts at ea while running.

It does have a AAZ diesel conversion. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

We had a long running current draw issue with our Westy that we eventually managed to pin on our Eberspaecher. It might be worth pulling the plugs on your heater and seeing if that helps.

Also, if you're replacing the split charge relay in a Westy then you need to make sure you've got the right split charge relay fitted. My understanding is that you need a make/break twin terminal relay - it has two 87 terminals but no 87a.
Search on eBay for a Durite 0-727-32.

EDIT: I'm assuming gowesty's kit gives you the right relay, but for others who are looking...
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Thanks clift_d. It ended up being a wiring problem. There was a wire coming from the second battery that was triggering the relay to stay open all the time. All fixed now and seems to be working.

Suspension recently redone with new bushings up front, and all new shocks, springs, and spacers in the rear.

Also cleaned up some rust, added bedliner, and a serious polish. Teh escapod is ready for the dance floor. Never be this clean again.

No, I am building a shed to store the garage items while I rebuild a garage that can house this things giant forehead.

Oh, and what a great mt bike rig. better than my old tin top.

macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

That's a really nice rig. It's a keeper for sure.
You must have a DA polisher? That paint really popped!
Bike as primary transportation
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

I was quite suprised by how well it turned out. I did use a Power Polisher and three steps of polishing starting with a standard turtle wax polishing compound and ending with a hanf applied and buffed hard shell wax. Makes me smile even bigger. A keeper for sure.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

You drove right by me early this morning--Capitol Way and Maple Park.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You drove right by me early this morning--Capitol Way and Maple Park.

No kidding? A fellow Oly resident eh? My wife and I moved here last summer. We live in SE near the Wildwood market. I have been curious if any of the vans I have been seeing around town are on here. You know of any gatherings locally? Be fun to get a group together for a pint now and again. Cheers!

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

I live just across I-5 from you, next to Lincoln elementary. There used to be two Syncros in Wildwood and both are friends of mine. One moved out of town and the other sold his for a Chevy 4x4 van--silver with a hightop.

I was driving the Audi this morning, as I'm servicing the EV and still finishing up the TDI swap in my T3. I'd be up for a gtg when I get it back on the road--soon.

y u rune klassik?
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Power steering squeel is driving me nuts! Plenty fluid, belt tight, it must be the pump eh? 1.9 aaz TD. Any other thoughts or do I just need to swap out the pump. Could the tack be the issue and if so how would I tell?

Thanks for the help.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Under what circumstances does it squeal? I could loan you one of my pumps if you want to try it out...assuming an AAZ uses a WBX type pump.

y u rune klassik?
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Any time the rpms are low and I turn the wheel more than 1/4 turn. Seems like it isn't creating the hydraulic pressures necessary ad it is more difficult to turn than it was. I'll look into the pump model. Probably take you up on the offer if it is the same.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The new ESCAPOD (86 club Joker Hi Top Syncro) Reply with quote

Just take a pic and post it. I have two WBX pumps and one off of a Mk2 Jetta. Kinda thinking your pump might be from a Mk3 or B4 car since those were the typical AAZ donors here in NA.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: