Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solid Shafts
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Does anyone have any sources for modifying the stock rocker shafts to make them a solid setup? I did a quick check, but couldn't find anything.

Someone sent me their rocker assemblies to modify the arms for swivel adjusters. I normally do the mod to 1.1:1 late rockers, but I told him I'd look them over to see if I could safely accomplish the job. We discussed modifying the shafts as well.

For high performace use, are there any weak links? Can I narrow the spacers that separate the intake and exhaust rockers, or are they a perfect fit in their saddles? Has anyone ever found it difficult to attain correct adjuster-to-valve stem alignment with the stock setup, or are they perfect every time? With late engines this is a problem. An easy fix is to narrow the rocker blocks, and use shims to set the adjusters in the correct locations. Btw, I have shim assortments in different thicknesses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Here are mine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Milled the ends of the shaft to remove the clip mounts, drilled and tapped the ends. Made a solid center spacer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Thanks! The set screw reminds me of GB shafts.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

I wish I could remember what I made the center spacer out of...I believe 9-chome

I didn't like the stock spring setup, so went this route and have had no issues
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

I sourced the parts today. I'll use high-strength aluminum for the center spacer and endcaps. The center spacer material I.D. is .635", which will give me about .008" clearance. The O.D. of the tube is 22.30mm, which also works out nicely. No mods! I just need to cut it to length, which seems to be about 49mm. I'll try and update once I finish...
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

I used aluminum and bronze.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Finished! High-strength alloy center spacer, with m4 set screws, mounting rings narrowed .060" to allow the use of shims, rockers modified for tool steel adjusters, without affecting geometry, aluminum end caps, and m8x1.25 button head securing screws on the ends. The shaft can still be returned to the stock setup, if desired. This particular setup allows for a total of .240"-worth of shims. The shims are 16mm spring steel - 20mm O.D.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Would you be willing to machine another set of rockers for tool steel adjusters?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Yes sir! My next batch of adjusters should be here in a week or two. In the meantime, I could get some rockers ready for you. P/M or email me please. [email protected]
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

email sent
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

use a cutter with a raidi to under cut the rocker so it dosent leave a sharp corrner, much stronger. and remember the thrust side of the rockers is the rear side of all the rockers.(rear as in toward the rear bumper if you have one)if your a mid mount it would be toward the front bumper Shocked Wink keep up the good work.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solid Shafts Reply with quote

Shocked STRESS RISER.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: