Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electrical poser
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: electrical poser Reply with quote

OK, here's the description:

1964 KG (in picture on left) with original 6v electrical system. Below 1G rpm I get a red light in the dash -- not enough juice right. I replaced the starter bushing so I know its not going to ground. PO had done a hatchet job on the wiring in the front fenders, so I've rewired that. Disconnected the clock so nothing should be pulling volts when the ignition is off and checked the voltage at the battery -- no current. Everything sounds good so far? I figured bad generator Idea, so new gen and regulator installed, same as before, below 1G rpm I get a red light I'm still building the garage so I can do a frame off on this car, and a new wiring harness is definitely in my future, but this is really bugging me Boo hoo! Anybody got any ideas?
'73 Sunroof Transporter
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical poser Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
Anybody got any ideas?

Tiny piece of black electrical tape over the light? Very Happy

You've already replaced the generator and the regulator, so about the only thing left is the simple solution-- turn your idle up a touch. VW generators are designed to start charging at about 1200 rpm (at the generator) which translates into about 850-900 rpm at the engine.

Maybe an additional 50-100 rpm at idle will solve the problem? Since the generator rpm=the rpm of the cooling fan, this is a relationship that VW took seriously when they designed the system.

Although to be fair all generators are inefficient at low rpm. One of the great advantages of alternators is their ability to continue to charge at very low rpms. A friend of mine had an old wooden chris-craft boat that would drain batteries constantly. Turned out he lived at the end of a long canal and the slow speed thru the canal was not fast enough to charge the battery. He switched to an alternator and the problem was solved instantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a smaller pully? at least untill you can replace the 100s of bad grounds that exist in every unrestored car...
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterericb wrote:
what about a smaller pully? at least untill you can replace the 100s of bad grounds that exist in every unrestored car...

Don't even know if they're available, but you would have to consider the increased RPM of the generater/cooling fan when driving the car in normal conditions. I'd go with Coads suggestion and increase the idle.
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: electrical poser Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Tiny piece of black electrical tape over the light? Very Happy

Razz Good idea, but not exactly what I was looking for!

The idea of a smaller pulley brings up a question I had not thought about -- is there a difference in size between the 6v and 12v pulleys? At some point, a 12v pulley was installed on the generator.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
4ghias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has some good info on the elec. and how to test for different problems, who knows you might get lucky. Shocked
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/1970/electricallinks.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: