Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Got my hitch mounted up, and engine is ready to go in
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Sweet Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

I have a factory original full trailerhitch from my 1973 that I'll never use if anyone in the SF bay wants to come get it.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Xyzzy can you post to England 😂😂😂😂
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Got my hitch mounted up, and engine is ready to go in

Looks awesome Very Happy

Just a regular guy
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
I have a factory original full trailerhitch from my 1973 that I'll never use if anyone in the SF bay wants to come get it.

Lets see some pics of this hitch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:

Let the bidding begin! Popcorn
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Yes, pics to see make and type for this thread would be cool Cool Thanks ahead of time Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

My hitch is on. I had to take off the gravel guard from under the bumper as there not enough clearance. I also lost the tow eyes that were on either bumper bracket when going to my modified bracket mounts.

All in all, it bolted up pretty easy. I was unable to get a bolt threaded in through the rear most upper mounting hole. Any one know the size and length of the bolt to be used (circled in red)? I still have 4 bolts in per side right now (3 lower and 1 upper) so it is pretty sturdy.

Here is the hitch when I got it installed. The wiring still needs to be done, but so far so good.

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

The Otis I had, had brackets for the bumper. Looks good and not bad at all for a Westfaka. Should of kept your mouth closed and told all it was the real deal. None of the posers I know would of spotted it Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

Nice job brother.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

No worries.

Any idea or info on the size of the bolt? I can always try just threading in a variety of metric bolts from the teardown pile too.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
The Otis (Peka) I had, had brackets for the bumper.
Nice job brother.

That is a different Peka hitch than mine. I think mine originally had bumper bracket boxes on it similar to the Westfalia T2b hitch. Mine has a round main bar as well.

Just a regular guy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Does anyone know why the vertical plates were added? My Late Bay Westfalia hitch doesn't have them and bolts into the bumper end mounts in the frame.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Does anyone know why the vertical plates were added? My Late Bay Westfalia hitch doesn't have them and bolts into the bumper end mounts in the frame.

With the increase in cc from 1800 to 2000 you see the side plates added accordingly. I would think to accommodate the bigger motors ability to pull more weight? Wink Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
cedric-FR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Hello
Excuse me for my bad English (I'm french)
I bought a tow hitch but I don't have the ball
The reference is: westfalia 321 073
Do you know or I could buy one?
Do you have another solution if the ball is not found?

can you help me ?
Thank you for your answers
cedric
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

I would find a trailer sales company in France. There are many other companies in Europe that sell trailer hitch parts. Finding just the ball hook part may prove difficult and you may need to find something close.

Try here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259975957415954/

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
stevem2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Ok, so a few questions tp those who have a 321-125 version, with the side plates.

How exactly are the side plates bolted to the chassis?
I appreciate I need to drill some holes, which may prove easier said than done due to no room to get a drill on there.

Ive translated the manual but it is not clear, and the internet has proved no help.
It shows the bolt on hole "c" as m10 x 25 with a nut, but there is no way a 25 mm long bolt will pass through the chassis rails, more like 65mm required.
The top hole "a" dissapears into the box section behind the rear valance, so there is no way a nut can be atttached, none is shown in the documentation so what does it screw into, is it a self tapper?

Picture stolen from above, i cant see he got an answer to a similar question.

Cheers

Steve
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

On my 77 I didnt bolt them through. I left it alone. Here is why -

Im not towing anything more than an Essen. If I were to step up to a boat, then maybe. See the pic below? That side plate you want to bolt up is literally the difference between an 1800 cc VW Bus and a 2 liter. Im assuming weight being the factor to add the side plates. Bigger motor able to pull more.

What do you plan on towing? When I Think contemplated Think mine, I thought with the tools I had, the engine needed to be out to drill the holes. If not then you need a 9O degree bendy bit thing.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
stevem2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Ha! I have a weedy 1641.
Not planning to tow anything, just wanted to do it "right".
May well put a bike rack on it though.
The 321-125 only has 2 lower bolt holes, the 321-073 has 3, so thought it would be best to use as many bots as possible. The wifes e-bike weighs a ton.
From what I can tell is that some rear frame rails have a captive nut on the inside for the rear most bolt and a huge cut out so the front bolt only attaches to one skin.
PITA is that I also almost have a 321-073, but cant get a tow ball for love nor money.

Cheers for the reply.

notchboy wrote:
On my 77 I didnt bolt them through. I left it alone. Here is why -

Im not towing anything more than an Essen. If I were to step up to a boat, then maybe. See the pic below? That side plate you want to bolt up is literally the difference between an 1800 cc VW Bus and a 2 liter. Im assuming weight being the factor to add the side plates. Bigger motor able to pull more.

What do you plan on towing? When I Think contemplated Think mine, I thought with the tools I had, the engine needed to be out to drill the holes. If not then you need a 9O degree bendy bit thing.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: THE Westfalia Tralier Hitch Thread (MANY pics!) Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/anhaen...0-223-2002

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: