Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

i have an ok 1302 super flat windshield, that would make a good baja (with beam conversion one day)
but the tunnel would be a good starting point for a manx style buggy

my question is which way to go, what are the highs and lows of both?
i have a 73 beetle rally car project and a buddy had a buggy when i was younger.

the open top option of the buggy has an appeal but the all weather baja bug does too. LOL

any suggestions?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

It boils down to what do you want to do with the car. A well built Manx style (with full cage). Will allow you to go place the Baja couldn't. It would be way lighter, so the demands would be less on the engine and transmission. However, it wouldn't be an all weather car (even if you bundled up). The Baja would be an all year round car, but it would take more engine and suspension work to make it compatible with the Manx. Also, with the Manx, unless you cage it, it will twist and flex as it goes through the bumps. Even to the point of cracking the glass. So it depends, what is you budget, how hard to you plan on driving, and can you stand freezing your arse off in the winter and rain.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

I have a fiberglass buggy for about 15 years. It does great on the street, on trails, on the sand. Its a blast to drive. It pretty much has a full cage, its a 1915, and 5 rib bus trans. You can pretty much go anywhere with it. When the weather is nice, its wonderful to be in an open car. The drawbacks are that there are times when an open car is not comfortable. It is also limited in storage room, and is pretty much a 2 seater. I use it a lot on mountain trails up in Big Bear, and when the trails are very dry, and dusty, its no fun swallowing and inhaling all that dust. Also when the weather turns cold, you freeze your ass off. You havent lived until you are being pelted on the face by sleet, and have to keep driving, because its not going to stop any time soon. Because of these drawbacks, I am currently building a full fender baja, but I dont think it will take the place of the buggy, just give me another option. If you are only going to have one play car, I would say the buggy is probably more fun.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

tdrrally wrote:
i have an ok 1302 super flat windshield, that would make a good baja (with beam conversion one day)
but the tunnel would be a good starting point for a manx style buggy

my question is which way to go, what are the highs and lows of both?
i have a 73 beetle rally car project and a buddy had a buggy when i was younger.

the open top option of the buggy has an appeal but the all weather baja bug does too. LOL

any suggestions?

The "1302" comment in the original post says the poster is British, in spite of the West Virginia in the avatar. In the US, that model of VW was called the "Super Beetle". And it came with a 1600 engine, not a 1300 as in the UK. Otherwise pretty much the same car.

Quote:
1302 super flat windshield

Flat windshield indicates it to be a 1971 or 1972 Super. 1973s and later got curved windshields. Not a BIG issue, just takes a little work to fit the fiberglass hood to a curved windshield Super if converting to a beam front suspension.

If you cut the hammer head front pan head off, a pan head for a ball joint, or - better for offroad link pin beam can be adapted. Or better still, cut off the pan head in front of the Napoleon hat and mount the beam on tube structure connected to a full roll cage.

A fiberglass buggy or even a tube frame rail buggy can be all-weather. Full windshield; soft side curtains and doors like on a Jeep with a soft top; or with a fiberglass hard top and soft or fabricated hard doors; and gas heater or connections and ducting from VW heater boxes, either with ducting for windshield de-frosting, are all readily feasible and practical. Perhaps a little easier with a Baja that is already ducted for heating, but it's not a huge obstacle for any sort of buggy.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BajaNoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: my brother recently passed on his baja bug to me... Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Noe and i wanted to ask a couple of questions about Baja bugs if any of y'all can help please reply.
Questions:
- Since i have a 71' Bug eye where do you guys think i can find some parts like headlight trims, wheels, etc.
- And, How do you guys think i should approach this? Since I'm planning for it to be my first car.

This is a picture i took a couple weeks ago before i washed it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: my brother recently passed on his baja bug to me... Reply with quote

BajaNoe wrote:
Hello, my name is Noe and i wanted to ask a couple of questions about Baja bugs if any of y'all can help please reply.
Questions:
- Since i have a 71' Bug eye where do you guys think i can find some parts like headlight trims, wheels, etc.
- And, How do you guys think i should approach this? Since I'm planning for it to be my first car.

This is a picture i took a couple weeks ago before i washed it!
[/img]

Chirco, Jbugs, CIP1.... eBay, craigslist,
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Bajanoe,

It is better to start your own thread, and load it up with all your questions. That way there is no confusion. Welcome to the forum.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Not all weather? No room?

I have driven my buggy from the Atlantic to the Pacific 3 times now. To Big Bear twice and Whitehorse Yukon. Just have to pack light. Heated seats help me run into about 40* F with a soft enclosure. The buggy I will build this fall/winter has heat in it.

It is all in what you want to do.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Joe you and i need to talk

great looking buggy
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Quote:

...tell me that when you are over 60. agility, ability to tolerate weather, your partners preferences all factor in. If you can't remember doctors endorsing cigarettes on TV commercials you can't understand.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/iatWY_ROZfI
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

i like this, it could have heat

i sold my dual sport motorcycles and would like to replace them with DS car i'm to poor or cheap to spend $10K+ on a side by side so its going to be a baja or buggy
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:

...tell me that when you are over 60. agility, ability to tolerate weather, your partners preferences all factor in. If you can't remember doctors endorsing cigarettes on TV commercials you can't understand.

I understand, and can relate.
I have had a kidney transplant coming on 15 years ago. Knee replaced 4 years ago. Neuropathy in my feet. Medication I take makes me intolerant to heat and cold, and acceptable to skin cancer. A wife that is very "citified", but traveled with me to Big Bear in '15 and back.

It hurts getting in and out of my buggy, and holding the clutch on Hollywood Blvd in LA was a torture as was San Francisco at rush hour going through Fishermen's Wharf.

The 5 hour cleanup after making the off road runs at Big Bear was worth it to win two second places in my class on judging day.

The Red Iron Oxide from off roading in Moab UT was a PITA to clean off a week later in '15. Breaking a Valve Spring in the Yukon and replacing it with a used 300 Six Ford spring was Surreal, then driving it 4000 miles home.

The loss of hearing from "buggy ear" is noticeable.

But I would do all those trips all over again. It is what has kept me somewhat young.

At Banff National Park in BC Canada, June 2016:

Leaving Alaska and entering the Yukon Territory in June 2016:

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

The original post asked what were the pros and cons of buggies and bajas, not if you could make a buggy more weather proof, able to carry more, and able to be driven long distances. Obviously it all boils down to what you want, and how you want, and are able to enjoy it. I applaud the hardiness and dedication/determination of people like Joe, to enjoy their buggies to the maximum degree. I am currently building an all weather car,

but I also have my 15 year old buggy that I love, and continue to "improve"

between the 2, I am hoping to have fun all the time, and I am hoping for 2 different/distinctive, enjoyable, experiences.
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

would the best of both be a Thing or Kubelwagen, open air with top down easy to get in and out of, more storage then the buggy or the baja (sort of)
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

Just something to think about...
I bought a baja because of all the downsides of my buggy. Unfortunately, I quickly realized my "new" baja had just as many places (holes) for the elements to get in. Floors rust out real fast in Michigan. I've spent so much on my baja just replacing things that fell off due to age and such. A buggy will more than likely keep more money in your pocket which sometimes can be a deciding factor despite it's limited seasonal use.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug VS Manx type buggy Reply with quote

the season in the WV is pretty long, winters aren't that bad a buggy, baja, or thing would be better in the cold rain and snow than the bike i sold.

the heat and humidity is what kills me, the other season i sold the bike, its too damn hot and humid to wear a helmet !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: