Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Hey guys looking for some advice and or direction.

Looks like the van I purchased at one point lost its luggage rack and had the pop top rip the seatbelt sewing (not the buckle) resulting in a distinct “bow” to the back third of the pop top.

I can see/feel the bulge from within but no sign of cracking whatsoever inside or outside.

Can I remove the top, disassemble it and bend the structure back to near normal?

I have read cwparrots situation.

Do you think I could remove and heat then pressure the section to return the top to original flat?

I will post a photo or two soon.

This must have happened before.

Whatever advice would be truly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!!
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

I removed my pop top last summer in order to install new canvas.

The top is heavy, so takes some planning. I happened to have an old pulley that I was able to suspend between the rafters of my garage. I tied the rope to the tow bar on my Subaru (after loosing all the bolts holding the top to the body, of course).

Drove the Subaru slowly forward to lift the top. When it was high enough, I drove the EV out from underneath. Slowly lowered the top to the ground and flipped it over to install the canvas. Reversed the procedure to reinstall the pop top.

My top wasn't warped in any way I could tell so not sure what you might need to do to straighten that out. Again, the top is very heavy. Too much just to lift off by hand, IMO.
grumpdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

I'll be going there soon and will chronicle the event.

I'm hoping heat and distributive weight will reverse the "bow" enough that the seal sets better at each end.

Meanwhile searching salvage yards for a pop-top just in case!

TC
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Wish I had videoed my job. I did fine a YouTube video before I did my top- it showed a guy pulling the top from his Westy- used a similar method. Good luck with it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

I install pop tops on Weekenders a lot.

Only takes two of use to carry around a Westfalia pop top. Which is much more robust than a Winnebago top. So I would imagine the Winnebago top is far easier to remove.

FWIW, taking the top off to install a new tent is 100X harder than just installing a new tent with the top in place. I've done dozens of them.
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I install pop tops on Weekenders a lot.

Only takes two of use to carry around a Westfalia pop top. Which is much more robust than a Winnebago top. So I would imagine the Winnebago top is far easier to remove.

FWIW, taking the top off to install a new tent is 100X harder than just installing a new tent with the top in place. I've done dozens of them.

Are there any tutorials on how to take off the canvas? I don't want to dish out the cash to replace the canvas yet, but I do want to remove it and clean the mold/mildew stains all around the canvas.

Do you know if there are any 'cheap' pop top canvas replacements?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

There is a rubber gasket that holds the lower part of the tent in. Just remove it.

There is an aluminum rail that holds the upper tent in. Unscrew it.

Tent loops off over the top.

Clean and repair as you like and reinstall.

Best place for a replacement tent is CaveVan.com Wink

Last edited by Xtremjeepn on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
There is a rubber gasket that holds the lower part of the then in. Just remove it.

There is an aluminum rail that holds the upper tent in. Unscrew it.

Tent loops off over the top.

Clean and repair as you like and reinstall.

Best place for a replacement tent is CaveVan.com Wink

Thank you!
grumpdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

After ordering a new complete Pop top directly from Winnebago I got a phone call stating that they are no longer making pop tops at all.

They typically made 10-12 tops per year.

I've looked everywhere for a replacement

Now faced with somehow straightening the "banana curve" !!??

Any suggestions?

I live near Reno, Nv.

Has anyone else encountered or solved a problem like this?

Cheers,

TC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Destrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan(2002) Pop Top repair/replacement Reply with quote

Did you ever figure out a way to deal with the warped top?
I left my evc out under the sun all summer this year while overseas. I came back to see my top bowed the same way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: