Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slightly Frustrated......
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classic truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

I recently purchsed a 1971 one owner Super Beetle. Upon going through the car I found the fuel tank had rust and gunk in it. I purchased a reproduction fuel tank. When trying to put it in tonight, it didn't fit. It isn't even close.... Evil or Very Mad I am now going to try and clean the old fuel tank. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Just wanted to vent a little. Thank you for listening.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

These tanks hard to clean at home because of internal baffles. We took one to a radiator shop and they boiled it and got it clean. Shop around prices vary
classic truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

I am thinking about that. Going to call around to see what prices are tomorrow.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

classic truck wrote:
I recently purchsed a 1971 one owner Super Beetle. Upon going through the car I found the fuel tank had rust and gunk in it. I purchased a reproduction fuel tank. When trying to put it in tonight, it didn't fit. It isn't even close.... Evil or Very Mad I am now going to try and clean the old fuel tank. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Just wanted to vent a little. Thank you for listening.

Welcome to aftermarket VW parts. Let me help you here. The original VW parts are the the best, period. Not many of the NEW parts sold today are worth buying. You can restore, rebuild or refresh many parts on that 71'. Examples are the carb, distributor, fuel pump, generator, etc.

Here's what I do when I look for parts for me VW. I first look for NOS (new old stock). Then I looked for good used that I can restore. Finally, I'll consider a "new" part if I know it's a quality made part w/good reviews.

There are always daily threads where someone is needing a part and posts a question on who makes and sells the best new version today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

Is it possible you bought a tank for a '71 standard instead of a '71 super?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Is it possible you bought a tank for a '71 standard instead of a '71 super?

☝🏻️This.

Super beetle and standard tanks are ENTIRELY different and that is likely the reason why your new tank "wasn't even close".

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

usually the hole for the sending unit is stamped so badly the o ring leaks too
classic truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly Frustrated...... Reply with quote

Ordered the right tank for a 1971 Super Beetle. Called the company I purchased the tank from and they have been having figment issues with their tanks. Trying to get a refund or credit for the tank. Company is working with me. I am withholding the name to see how it all turns out before forming an opinion. Will be looking for nos parts from now on. Thank you all for the replies...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: