Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch kit
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: clutch kit Reply with quote

getting ready to order a new clutch kit. Sachs for 93.00 or Beck Arnley for 50.00 Is there a difference.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

I like Sachs. That would be my first choice every time.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

well i just clicked on Beck Arnley at amazon for 50 bucks. Time will tell.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
well i just clicked on Beck Arnley at amazon for 50 bucks. Time will tell.

Hey - they both could be Chinese-made.

I will share that I've run a chinese-made disc in my 1971's 1835cc engine for at least a half-dozen years and it's been fine. And a few months ago I installed a chinese-made disc into my 1970 when I resurrected that, also has been fine.

Remember: there's not just ONE factory in China; quality can depend upon materials, engineering, quality of manufacture and QC.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

For anyone else who's interested, Sachs 200 mm clutch discs and pressure plates are both made in Slovakia and Brazil, and you can tell the European and Brazilian ones apart at a glance. The European ones are also much more expensive. Sachs throw-out or clutch release bearings are made in Germany and Brazil.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

What about Kennedy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
For anyone else who's interested, Sachs 200 mm clutch discs and pressure plates are both made in Slovakia and Brazil, and you can tell the European and Brazilian ones apart at a glance. The European ones are also much more expensive. Sachs throw-out or clutch release bearings are made in Germany and Brazil.

I just bought a 200 mm Sachs clutch and pressure plate kit for my 70' bus. The pressure plate was made in Brazil and the spring loaded clutch disc was made in S. Korea. I think the throwout bearing was made in Germany. It's been excellent so far.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boom10ful
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

Bought a Korean Valeo clutch disc for my '69 Bug. Couldn't be happier!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: clutch kit Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
What about Kennedy?

I run a Kennedy "stage 1" pressure plate with a Sachs unsprung-center disc on my stock carb 1776, daily driver, stop-and-go gridlock traffic100-150 miles daily, and it has the pedal feel of a new car, highly recommended. I had an Exedy daikin spring-center disc on it before but swapped it out when I replaced my failed main seal due to oil contamination. I like the solid disc better for sure, and the sachs disc grabs nice and firm with little slip due to the increased friction from the solid center, much nicer for traffic.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: