Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxhouse97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: 1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

First post here - need some advice from you smart people on how to proceed. This seems like the VW board to be on! I have a 87 911 so I know how valuable forms can be. I have a 77 Beetle that I inherited from my Father-in-law (FIL). It has sentimental value for my wife (see below).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the problem: while the motor was rebuilt in the last 5 years, and the car looks great, it needs work underneath. My FIL did an amazing job, but we have already dumped $3k into it fixing the old fuel injection, etc. and I don't want to piecemeal another $3k into it getting it running well (it currently won't start/turn-over). And while it was getting a new set of twin carbs, the mechanic said the floor boards had been improperly repaired (by my FIL) ... mentioned that they were pop riveted. He said it was bordering on unsafe to drive. So my thought was to hand it over to an expert and let them go through it - body and mechanical. I don't have the time to work on it myself between my car and two kids under 3.

My goals is to have a solid, safe driving car that I don't have to fix/spend money on every month (at least the big mechanicals). Don't need a show car.

So here are my questions:
1. How much could I get in repair/restoration for a $10k budget? Obviously it won't need paint or engine rebuild, but could need significant under body welding to fix the floor pan. Also may need trans work, starter, alternator, etc. Again I would rather have an expert do a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of all the critical components/preventative maintenance rather than band-aid fixes.
2. What shop would you recommend in the Cincinnati area for a semi-restroation and significant repair (body and mechanical)? I had heard that there was a great shop in the Dayton area (just north) but can't remember the name.
3. How would you proceed? My thought was to take it to at least two shops, get an estimate and compare. Obviously I am sure the sky is the limit in what they will tell me needs done - again I want to prioritize mechanicals and a solid-running car over aesthetics (I think it already looks pretty good). How would you go about avoiding getting swindled?

Thanks for your help.

Tony
cp23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop Reply with quote

Did you eventually find a shop near Cincinnati? If so, would you recommend them? I've got a '79 convertible.

I live in Louisville but there's no one around here who can do a restoration.

Thanks
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop Reply with quote

Maxhouse97 wrote:
Hi everyone,

First post here - need some advice from you smart people on how to proceed. This seems like the VW board to be on! I have a 87 911 so I know how valuable forms can be. I have a 77 Beetle that I inherited from my Father-in-law (FIL). It has sentimental value for my wife (see below).

Here's the problem: while the motor was rebuilt in the last 5 years, and the car looks great, it needs work underneath. My FIL did an amazing job, but we have already dumped $3k into it fixing the old fuel injection, etc. and I don't want to piecemeal another $3k into it getting it running well (it currently won't start/turn-over). And while it was getting a new set of twin carbs, the mechanic said the floor boards had been improperly repaired (by my FIL) ... mentioned that they were pop riveted. He said it was bordering on unsafe to drive. So my thought was to hand it over to an expert and let them go through it - body and mechanical. I don't have the time to work on it myself between my car and two kids under 3.

My goals is to have a solid, safe driving car that I don't have to fix/spend money on every month (at least the big mechanicals). Don't need a show car.

So here are my questions:
1. How much could I get in repair/restoration for a $10k budget? Obviously it won't need paint or engine rebuild, but could need significant under body welding to fix the floor pan. Also may need trans work, starter, alternator, etc. Again I would rather have an expert do a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of all the critical components/preventative maintenance rather than band-aid fixes.
2. What shop would you recommend in the Cincinnati area for a semi-restroation and significant repair (body and mechanical)? I had heard that there was a great shop in the Dayton area (just north) but can't remember the name.
3. How would you proceed? My thought was to take it to at least two shops, get an estimate and compare. Obviously I am sure the sky is the limit in what they will tell me needs done - again I want to prioritize mechanicals and a solid-running car over aesthetics (I think it already looks pretty good). How would you go about avoiding getting swindled?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Theres a shop in Columbus (Powell) called Auto Assets. They specialize in higher end cars, but the owner (Chip) is a huge VW guy. He drives a Thing, used to have a bus, and randomly has Beetles on his lot. No clue what we would charge, as it would depend on the extent of the work that needs to be done, but I'm certain he could help with your Beetle. I ran into him one day when I was driving mine and he asked if he could look at it and offered to work on it any time. Might be worth checking out.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop Reply with quote

Fuel injection and twin carbs? So what does it have?

Floor pan welding is pretty easy from inside the car if you take everything out.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Beetle near Cincinnati - need restoration advice/shop Reply with quote

cp23 wrote:
I live in Louisville but there's no one around here who can do a restoration.

That's not entirely true, because Dave Unser is in Louisville and he builds very, very nice VWs.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: