Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigRobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm purchasing some shocks from Avo for my 1303. Unfortunately I don't have any standard shocks to send them, doesn't anyone know the standard dampening, spring rate and lengths of the shocks so I can have the shocks built please.

Thank you.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate Reply with quote

CraigRobbo wrote:
shocks built.?

Stop in at the closest autozone, napa, or crickets? auto parts and buy theirs. Standard duty. not gas charged shocks for your car by year model.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate Reply with quote

I agree with DT above unless there is something in particular about your car that you need custom built shocks?

X2 on the oil-filled. I initially installed KYB gas shocks all the way around, within a few miles I replaced the fronts with oil-filled versions, this light small car rode way too rough and bounced all over the place. I left the gas rears in place though, and at least in my case the combination seems to work fine.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate Reply with quote

Why?

If a shock company does not know what damping characteristics you need for your vehicle, stay away. You will end up paying a lot of money for their guessing game. Your best bang for the buck would to be to go with a set of Bilsteins. They will probably be cheaper, and they have the shocks characteristics worked out.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
CraigRobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension specs, spring rate and dampening rate Reply with quote

Hello, issue with standard shocks is that I have a uni ball rear setup so I need to use coilovers on the rear, the car is set up as a circuit track car so I would like the adjustability.
The companies I'm looking at are gaz shocks and Avo suspension, both very well known for high quality products. However they say they only built to customers spec and don't have any details on my specific car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: