Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

I'd like to use a single dual weber(mainly for simplicity sake and all the horror stories I hear about running dual carbs offroad). What would you suggest for cam? I've built a few 2276's for the street but always with dual dual carbs. At what point does duration make the single weber hard to tune? I will make sure the manifold has preheat. On the street I've run the FK8(awesome!), and right now the FK45(awesome!).
My main use for the baja(full weight with cage) will be riding the rocky, sandy trails we have around here in Phx. I need torque and don't need a high revving machine.
I usually run tight squish and as much compression as the cam will allow. I don't mind running premium fuel.
Thanks in advance.
Parts that I have right now:
case
010 distributor
2x44 hpmx 2nd gens and 2x48 Weber IDFs
Panchitos 40x35
82mm crank
94 Mahles
scat rods
1 5/8 tri mill
stock, 1.25 and 1.4 rockers
31x10.5 tires with 4.37 ring and pinion, 1st through 4th TBD

Last edited by tobiism on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

What size rear tires and what gearing in the transaxle?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

ah yes thank you.
I will amend the post
31x10.5 with 4.37 and rest of the gear tailored to suit
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

I'd suggest the 1.4 rockers with FK-7 or FK-43
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

Don't forget to Tune by Cylinder #3(Furthest), and #2(Closets) When Reading Plugs.. Tuning Jets..... Timing too......

I got 4 Second 0-60 mph when all out with my Single 44 IDF on a Redline Single Carb Intake w/Heat on a Engle 120 Cam Driven 2110 on my Street Rail, And put a few thousand miles on her with same old plugs, man she moved..... RB
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'd suggest the 1.4 rockers with FK-7 or FK-43

Thosr are definitely worth a look, thanks!
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Don't forget to Tune by Cylinder #3(Furthest), and #2(Closets) When Reading Plugs.. Tuning Jets..... Timing too......

I got 4 Second 0-60 mph when all out with my Single 44 IDF on a Redline Single Carb Intake w/Heat on a Engle 120 Cam Driven 2110 on my Street Rail, And put a few thousand miles on her with same old plugs, man she moved..... RB

Thanks for the tuning reminders!
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
I'd like to use a single dual weber(mainly for simplicity sake and all the horror stories I hear about running dual carbs offroad). What would you suggest for cam? I've built a few 2276's for the street but always with dual dual carbs. At what point does duration make the single weber hard to tune? I will make sure the manifold has preheat. On the street I've run the FK8(awesome!), and right now the FK45(awesome!).
My main use for the baja(full weight with cage) will be riding the rocky, sandy trails we have around here in Phx. I need torque and don't need a high revving machine.
I usually run tight squish and as much compression as the cam will allow. I don't mind running premium fuel.
Thanks in advance.
Parts that I have right now:
case
010 distributor
2x44 hpmx 2nd gens and 2x48 Weber IDFs
Panchitos 40x35
82mm crank
94 Mahles
scat rods
1 5/8 tri mill
stock, 1.25 and 1.4 rockers
31x10.5 tires with 4.37 ring and pinion, 1st through 4th TBD

If you go for the single IDF through stock end castings you won't make much more than 100hp so you might as well sell all that lot in your list
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

There are other end casting out that breath better than stock.. Dyno made some, plus there is Fat Performance that is in service. Then you can always opt for the CB Turbo's.

Thing is intake, Redline has bigger plenums than stock plus heat, both DRD and aircooled.net sell it. The Redline intake has heat that goes to the bottom of the carb, so with mine I just waited and took my time for about 15 mins. till the carb got hot then she ran great in winter.. But some fabrication maybe needed of the exhaust to run the heat, but well worth it.. RB
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
There are other end casting out that breath better than stock.. Dyno made some, plus there is Fat Performance that is in service. Then you can always opt for the CB Turbo's.

Thing is intake, Redline has bigger plenums than stock plus heat, both DRD and aircooled.net sell it. The Redline intake has heat that goes to the bottom of the carb, so with mine I just waited and took my time for about 15 mins. till the carb got hot then she ran great in winter.. But some fabrication maybe needed of the exhaust to run the heat, but well worth it.. RB

If there are bigger end castings then yes but if using stock 1600 castings then it doesn't matter what you do upstream from them and they don't work well much above 4500rpm either
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

My Rev Limit on my Street Rail was 5,000 RPMs do to the use of HD Single Valve Springs, so, you may be right or wrong, but you can portstock end castings to an extreme and I know Off Road Fat Engines tack higher. Fat is a good resorce for they have been building off road engines for decades and are still around.. So a call into them maybe needed. RB
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Baja build, 82x94 with single weber, and the older Panchitos Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. After seeing a previous thread I may use my current Street engine and build a plenum manifold with 4 runners to my tall match ported 48idf manifolds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: