Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 sb convertible interior light lens removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doghouserepair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

I can't get the lens off. I don't want to break it. Who can tell me how to get it off to check the bulb?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

You just pull the white part off (if its standard type) back towards you, it unclips. Problem is the plastic does get a bit brittle with age, so yes its a little scary.
doghouserepair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

I understand it will just pull off, that much I get. I don't know where to put a tiny screwdriver with which to pry, to begin the pulling process.
Do I pry from the top (above the switch) or from the sides or?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Try heating it with a hair dryer on low till warm then try removing.
doghouserepair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

I don't know where to put a tiny screwdriver with which to pry, to begin the pulling process.
Do I pry from the top (above the switch) or from the sides or?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Just go and pull on it if it breaks you can get a completely new light and lens for under $30.00 from Wolfsberg west. If you must pry start at the bottom.
doghouserepair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

I removed the lens assembly, following my instincts to start at the top and fortunate that I did, since as my picture shows, the locate stop knob is located at the bottom of the lens.
So for future amateurs like myself, who for the first time ever, will be removing their convertible dome light lens to check the bulb
START AT THE TOP, pull the top out a bit, lift up the bottom to clear the knob from it's locate point and it's out!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

On my 76 sb mine was cracked, so came out easy ... OK, i spent $30 on a new one .. how do you get it back in without breaking it. I tried a couple ways ... top first, bottom first, but did not what to push to hard.
Thoughts/suggestions?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Put the bottom in first and put a little KY Jelly or other water base lube along the top outer edge and gently push down on top edge closest to windshield and push in with your other hand on the out side of top edge of the lens and it will snap in.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

The tabs sometimes break so people glue them on instead of spending $23 on a new one.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Thanks ... I'll give that a try.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Tried glue, but the bottom tab plus the top was cracked and the glue did not hold.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sb convertible interior light lens removal Reply with quote

Just get a new one. They are cheap enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: