Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying new oilpump - Camshaft?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Hi!

Iīm on my way to buy a new oilpump with attachable oilfilter. But when I read about it, it looks like itīs only doable depending on which type of camshaft I have installed. If itīs dished or has 3 or 4 bolts. HOW can I know this?

For example: "OEM VW 30mm Full Flow Oil Pump, Fit Dished Camshafts (4 Bolt Cams)."

Picture to show what kind of pump Iīm talking about:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

What is the code on your engine?
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Ah! It's AD745362
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Unless his engine is all original never opened he could have either cam, they are interchangeable. The only way to know is remove the pump and 👀
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

I think the only real answer is to pull your current pump and look at the face of the cam gear. Once the pump is removed you can just look if it had 3 or 4 rivets/bolts. You should see one or the other of these:

The cam on the left (4 rivet) has a "dished" area allowing the pump to sit deeper into the case. These will fit the later pumps.
The cam on the right (3 rivet) has a flat face for the earlier pumps.

Knowing the year of the case might help if you were certain it had an original cam installed. But if the case has ever been opened it is possible the cam and pump have been replaced. Since all performance cams are built on the earlier (flat) cam style, there are high volume pumps that work with the later cases (larger passages) that interface with flat gear cams. So knowing the year of the case is not a definite way of knowing.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Moondrip wrote:
Hi!

Iīm on my way to buy a new oilpump with attachable oilfilter. But when I read about it, it looks like itīs only doable depending on which type of camshaft I have installed. If itīs dished or has 3 or 4 bolts. HOW can I know this?

For example: "OEM VW 30mm Full Flow Oil Pump, Fit Dished Camshafts (4 Bolt Cams)."

Also be aware crankshaft pulley may rub on the pump and this may also hit muffler or header. For a little more money you can use the NOS VW Mexican filter pump. www.aircooled.net sells them.
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Ah OK so itīs fully visible when the oilpump is removed, that I didnīt know. Well thatīs the best advice there is.

And ofc I canīt be certain that previous owners havenīt replaced the cam.

Many thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Yes, look at Ashman's post above.

The difference in the oil pumps themselves (like the CB Maxi2) is that the shaft on the oil pump gear protrudes farther for use with the dished camshaft gear. I have the Maxi2 in both my VW engines; I was surprised that the original engine in my 1971 convertible had a flat camshaft, so good thing I waited to check that before I ordered my Maxi2 so I could get the correct one.

I also had to clearance the pump on mine to get the tin to fit without rubbing the pulley

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Oh bollocks...

So in order for me to have a look I first need to drain the oil, remove the pump, have a look, bolt the pump back and refill the oil?

Or cna I just lift the rear up as high as possible and then remove the pump with out too much oil sipping out?

Do notice the motor is attached to a beach buggy
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

I've pulled the pump before by jacking the rear way up in the air. Probably better to just drain it though, you need to make sure the pump sealing area to the case is clean to get a good leak-free seal.

Unless someone has installed a 4 rivet cam in your engine for some reason, chances are you have a 3 bolt. Only way to verify would be to pull the pump though.

An AD code engine was originally installed in a bus between 71-73.
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Do less work. Just pull the oil pump cover, remove the gears, and measure the gear length and shaft+gear length. Reseal with a new gasket onto a cleaned pump and cover flange.

Yes you'll have to drain the oil for this, so just do it at the next oil change maybe??

Give us the length in mm and we'll tell you what you have. That way you can buy the special VW oil pump puller at the same time as the correct pump.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

wet_bread wrote:
Just pull the oil pump cover, remove the gears, and measure the gear length and shaft+gear length. ... Give us the length in mm and we'll tell you what you have.

I don't think that will do it.

There are 30mm pumps (30mm long gears) for both flat and dished cams:
Heavy Duty Oil Pump (30mm Gears) 8mm bolts fits to 1970 (flat cam)
Heavy Duty Oil Pump (30mm Gears) 8mm bolts fits 1971-later (dished cam)

This pic shows how this is possible:

Notice that all three pumps are lined up so their mounting flanges are even. The space above the mounting flange will extend outside the case. Below the flange is INSIDE the case. The middle pump (26mm) has a thicker flange allowing more of the gears to extend OUTSIDE the case. The right most pump (also 26mm) has a thinner flange and can sit deeper into the case to engage the dished cam slot.
You could remove the pump and measure the distance from the mounting flange to the tip of the drive gear. It it is the longer 52mm it will be for the dished cam. But at this point you can look into the case and see if there are 3 or 4 rivets/bolts.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

You said this is a buggy? Why do you need to put the oil and old pump back in? Why can't the car sit for a few days and just install the new pump when it comes in?

If you must keep the car on the road, order one of each pump. Then just install the correct one once you remove the old one ... and return the pump you don't use.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

This pic shows how this is possible:

In that case, all you have to do is just look at the flange on your existing oil pump. Thick = flat cam, thin = dished.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

What engine do you have, and why the need of a huge 30mm pump?

I hope you are aware that a 30mm pump will steal hp and build a lot of heat when it dumps excessive oilflow back through oil preassure regulators to the case, without the trip through the oilcooler.

If it its the filtration you wants, fullflow the engine instead.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

anthax wrote:

I hope you are aware that a 30mm pump will steal hp and build a lot of heat when it dumps excessive oilflow back through oil preassure regulators to the case, without the trip through the oilcooler.

If it its the filtration you wants, fullflow the engine instead.

I missed this part as well, good catch. 30mm gears are way overkill, I'd stay close to stock.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Moondrip wrote:

Bashr52 wrote:
anthax wrote:

I hope you are aware that a 30mm pump will steal hp and build a lot of heat when it dumps excessive oilflow back through oil preassure regulators to the case, without the trip through the oilcooler. If it its the filtration you wants, fullflow the engine instead.

I missed this part as well, good catch. 30mm gears are way overkill, I'd stay close to stock.

The original post shows a picture of a CB Performance Maxi2 pump/filter. See
http://www.cbperformance.com/Oil-Pumps-Accessories-s/254.htm looks to me that these are only available in 26mm gear size.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jr1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Will the filter pump clear the moustache bar on a 71 stock 1600 bay bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

jr1984 wrote:
Will the filter pump clear the moustache bar on a 71 stock 1600 bay bus?

This seems like a question to post in the Bay Window Bus forum.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying new oilpump - Camshaft? Reply with quote

Take the oil pump out and look at the cam. Here is a link to the CB performance page where they describe what to look for.

If you have 4 bolts it is easy. If you have three you need to look at the bolts. Mine was 4. I took a pen and marked one and then moved the crank and counted the number of bolts until I came back to the one I marked. Count twice to make sure. Move the crank slowly to make sure you don't miss one.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: