Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A bargain for someone
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

Just happened across this THING in Dallas. Seems like a bargain to me..

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/6082329051.html

someone go for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

That's a great price. It won't last long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

Makes me want to take a flight to Texas... maybe drive back.

Nice seats, top looks pretty nice too.

Pans look good. Maybe a little damage to the drivers side engine compartment area.

Our Texas Sambanistas need to act quickly and report back here with results.

Mark
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

I emailed him and that email and his answer troubles me, see below. He doesn't know about heater, apparently he doesn't know if it even has a gas heater. I looked at that top real close and I do believe it is bent because that top is bowed. If you got side curtains they wouldn't fit the top. He said clean open title. Notice he didn't say title was in his name as I ask, he said open. To me that means that who he bought it from or some one earlier signed the title and is passing it on without it ever being transferred to his name. Than can cost you a arm and leg to ever get it in your name if in fact you didn't lose the car. Don't ask me how I know. At any rate that car is a long way from a survivor, notice distributor, another reason not a survivor. IMHO it isn't a bargain, probably OK buy if you get good info on that title

No original air cleaner, Not sure about heat. No side curtains, No top bend, clean open title.

Hawkeye
210-548-1310

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM, craigslist reply 8d24 <[email protected]> wrote:

Do you have the original or correct air filter? Does it have the gas heater in it and does it work? Do you have the side curtains and if so condition? I can't tell for sure in pictures but it looks like the top frame right above where side curtains would fit is bent, is it?
Is the clean title in your name?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/6082329051.html
moondogi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

Two of the underhood pics show the gas heater.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

moondogi1 wrote:
Two of the underhood pics show the gas heater.

He has edited his add. It didn't have all those photos originally. I wouldn't have ask if it had a gas heater if photo of one had been there.
brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

For better or worse, I bought it unseen, and before finding this thread. Sounds like just what I want--a good driver, decent 20-footer, and reasonable price. I am en route to San Antonio as I write this. I will report back after getting it home.
-David
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

For the money I don't think you could go wrong! Good Luck!!
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

brezelfenster wrote:
For better or worse, I bought it unseen, and before finding this thread. Sounds like just what I want--a good driver, decent 20-footer, and reasonable price. I am en route to San Antonio as I write this. I will report back after getting it home.
-David

Congrats David. I hope I'm wrong about my suspicions. I was just hoping whoever bought it would get those questions answered.
brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

Yesterday I brought the Thing home from San Antonio, almost 600 mi. by tow bar, to Lincoln, Ark. The top frame seems to be straight. I haven't lowered it yet, but no obvious damage to frame.

As noted, side curtains and original air cleaner are missing. Floors are good but not perfect. Only the battery compartment shows extensive rust.

A few crusty areas on the body were covered with yellow rattle can paint.

On the plus side, it runs great, and starts every time. Brakes, steering, clutch, gears all intact and no problems found. A few electrical issues, but all the lights work.

Title is indeed open, which I actually like. I have a dealer's license (though I seldom sell anything--really just a hobby), so no problem there.

Anyway, I'm happy with my first Thing.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A bargain for someone Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the THING world!

Now you have something else to tinker with.

Have someone help you lower the top, you 'can' do it solo but you have a much better chance of putting a bend in it doing so. Or tearing the top like I did on mine. [it was and OLD top, kinda worn thin in places, since replaced].

did you get a heater?

Mine had a frozen fuel pump for the heater when purchased. But I used a spare battery and did a direct connect, couple of hundred wire taps and sparks and she broke free.

Well, post up some photos and let the fun begin! LOL

Good luck with it,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: