Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

- installed the new drag link. I think there's still quite alot of play on the steering, i'll have to get a second opinion on that. I'm not sure what is considered play. When i turn the wheel a bit, t here's no resistance, but the wheel turn, then about 1/8 turn later, t here's resistance and the wheel, well, turn.

With wheels pointed straight ahead there should be at most 1 inch of play measured at steering wheel outer rim.
i'll have to check. i'm pretty sure its more like 2 inches. Since it hasnt been touched yet (well, except being removed to replace the floor), i hope i'll be able to tighten it a bit more.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

Someone's coming next saturday to help me out. I'd really really like to get the engine in and connected. Just that would be quite an accomplishment. But i doubt i'll get that far. I might also just try and remove the transmission to see what the hell is up with that.

Better to sort out the transaxle before installing the engine.
[/quote] Oh i know. But i want to hear it roar a bit to give me some motivation. I'm not sure yet what i'll do with an extra pair of hands (that are larger than 10 years old's). I guess i could just remove the damn tranny.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Oh i know. But i want to hear it roar a bit to give me some motivation. I'm not sure yet what i'll do with an extra pair of hands (that are larger than 10 years old's). I guess i could just remove the damn tranny.

Get a few six packs of beer and invite some folks over. Someone will help.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

I had two struggle finding parts since i got my bus ;
- finding a transmission and/or reduction gearbox
- finding the metal above the engine.

I know both can be easily found, but the shipping to canada always been a big issue price wise... until this week, when i found someone who had a straight axle transmission for me and that was able to ship relatively cheaply.

It might not be the setup i'd picked if i was to choose, but i'm still very excited to finally get something that'll work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's not in my hand yet, but i paid for it, and should have it wednesday, and i'm so excited, i have to share with people (and my wife dont care at all).

There's gonna be a few thing to do before it goes back in, but it's complete, which is a big plus.

Next is gonna be an adjustable beam.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

I'm excited for you, can't wait to see the first video of you driving your bus.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

It's not in my hand yet, but i paid for it, and should have it wednesday, and i'm so excited, i have to share with people (and my wife dont care at all).

Next is gonna be an adjustable beam.

I know that feeling! I've realized that the main reason I post on this site is so my wife doesn't have to pretend to be excited by my new shift linkage or engine tin or something. Laughing

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
I'm excited for you, can't wait to see the first video of you driving your bus.

i feel like its a pretty long way still, but i'm getting closer. Not having the transmission was really taking a toll on my motivation.

Now that i found it, i realize all the job i have to do before putting it in, and all the job to get it working, but at least i know now that its to get it closer to get it on the road, not just while waiting to be able to get the parts i need.

ernstben wrote:
I know that feeling! I've realized that the main reason I post on this site is so my wife doesn't have to pretend to be excited by my new shift linkage or engine tin or something. Laughing

Exactly! I guess it doesnt help that i tell her the truth everytime she ask me how much i paid for the things i buy for the bus... Laughing
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So today was unpack day (yay!). Almost as fun as christmas.

Two small but heavy boxes were waiting for me in the garage tonight.

Now, excuse my shaky cam pictures, but heres ;

Transmission is nearly flawless (at least paint wise). A good gloss paint, with a few chips here and there but nothing major.

The straight axle. Quite frankly, i was nearly giving up on going straight axle, since new kits are nearly 2k+shipping... Everything is there, everything is in great shape. The only thing i need to purchase for now is new boots.

The Spring plate. They are not adjustable, but its ok. I'm not going too low and will work with whatever they can give me.

So now, i have no reason not to work on the bus.

Still need ; boots, brake line, handbrake cable (which length should i get?) and fixing that metal above engine (which is the last part i need now).

Still a long way to go, but getting so much closer.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Thought about it all day, and tonight i decided to start working on the part i pushed since the beginning to fix ; the metal above the engine.

The first thing i did was figure out roughly what i wanted to replace. To do that, i used some white painting to give me a good idea.

I'm really just cutting what i need to. There's gonna be some patch needed elsewhere, but this is the most important part imho, since this is pretty much swiss cheese all around.

The part to replace it is really simple. I didn't want to spend too much time on a temporary fix, and really i do not have the tool to do much better. I'm sure with at least a press, thing would have been much, much easier.

I didnt take a picture, but i cut what was white, leaving a little overlap this time. Hopefully tomorrow i'll start welding it into place. Once that is done, i'd like to replace the rest of the rusted part, so when the engine go in, it won't have to come out for later repairs.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So, my patch worked. It's not pretty (of course it isnt), but its solid, and better than swiss cheese!

So once again, measure 10 times, cut 12 times, and go a little overboard and cut too far.... Rolling Eyes

At least, going slow, i make sure i only do little mistake.

About 3 hours later, welding is finished. It's more solid than it was, and i think i even managed to take out the curve it had.

Next part, is fixing those hole too. I'm contemplating doing it in two different way ;
1- Weld small patch (basically the square drawn)
2- Weld in a large patch that replace pretty much everything.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Soo, lets say, there'S no turning back now.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Now is a good time to do a lot of clean up, sand, primer in the engine compartment since you have that nice hole above for better lighting and ventilation.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Soo, lets say, there'S no turning back now.

FYI-That is not where that crossmember is supposed to be installed. Wink

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Now is a good time to do a lot of clean up, sand, primer in the engine compartment since you have that nice hole above for better lighting and ventilation.

Though about it. Might try and see if i can rent a sandblaster for a few days. Might also just go with a wire wheel, but that would be a pain... in the back.

cru62 wrote:
FYI-That is not where that crossmember is supposed to be installed. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Yeah, i used it as a ghetto jack to push up the reinforcement, to avoid having as much cave in as possible. The whole thing is already pretty much out of whack, i'm trying to get it as straight as possible.

People won't like it, but the repair section is gonna be some 16ga sheetmetal plug welded there. It's not gonna be pretty, but its gonna be solid enough for its use. It's at least gonna stay that way until i decide to do the whole thing correctly, which would probably end up being a very big job of repairing correctly everything that the PO did (wheelwell, etc).
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

People won't like it, but the repair section is gonna be some 16ga sheetmetal plug welded there. It's not gonna be pretty, but its gonna be solid enough for its use. It's at least gonna stay that way until i decide to do the whole thing correctly, which would probably end up being a very big job of repairing correctly everything that the PO did (wheelwell, etc).

Does not need to be pretty, BUT it needs the corrugations for strength of the shelf. Otherwise it will bow and vibrate in wacky ways later that you are not going to want. If you can not find material from a split screen bus, see if anyone is parting out a bay window bus and use that for material. If still no luck, hit your local wrecking yard and wander around looking for corrugated sheet metal in other makes that might work.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

Does not need to be pretty, BUT it needs the corrugations for strength of the shelf. Otherwise it will bow and vibrate in wacky ways later that you are not going to want. If you can not find material from a split screen bus, see if anyone is parting out a bay window bus and use that for material. If still no luck, hit your local wrecking yard and wander around looking for corrugated sheet metal in other makes that might work.
i thought plug welding it to the support under it would be already a good way to avoid bow/vibration.

Maybe i could add some more support under there? I'm quite frankly giving up on finding a replacement part, even used, that isnt either very expensive, or very rusty, or both.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

If you're gonna be grafting non-original stuff in anyway maybe you can get the whole rear section from a bay or a Vanagon so you'll get the removable engine access panel, that'd be useful.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Is anyone out your way, and/or have you put out an ad for parting out type 3 or 4 square backs??
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Is anyone out your way, and/or have you put out an ad for parting out type 3 or 4 square backs??
i've seen a type 3 once in about 15 years here.

I had an idea tonight. I'm pretty sure you guys won't really like, but it sound fun, and could actually work ;

What if i welded stripe of metal, about the width of the OG hump? Just saying it make it sound hard (with heat management and all), but would it work? It wouldnt be OG, but it wouldnt be just a plain sheet of metal either...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Give it a try!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Last weekend i got some help to remove the tranny. I seriously though it was going to be easy, but it turned out to be close to a 2 hour job with 3 noobs.

But we finally managed to remove the old transmission, and put it in a corner where i'll forget about it for the next few years.

I really wish i had a sandblast to clean this all up and paint it correctly, but i think i'll have to wait another time.

Also ended up removing the torsion bar. I didnt mark them or anything, but i think its okay (?).

The torsion bar are a bit pitted at one end, and whatever grease was in there is not some black goo.

What do you guys recommend doing now before installing the new springplate and everything? Should i bother trying to clean the hole where the torsion bar goes? Should i clean and paint them? Should i... replace them? (i hope not, i think those are expensive).

Next goal is to get the tranny back in one piece and ready for install.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: