Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The best replacement side view mirrors thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I've got a brand new pair of WW's. I would say the grey seal - or gasket - whatever it shall be called, that carries the mirror glass in the stainless housing, is more of a rubbery material than a plastic...perhaps a plasticky rubber (made up word?). But it has a decent amount of give to it. Anyway, my only comment would be that, this particilar grey rubbery seal isn't molded (extruded, whatever) with the exactly perfect profile to properly "hug" the outer lip of the stainless housing. The result is a somewhat unsightly gap between the seal and housing, albeit only a minor nuisance. In the pic below, the flaw is exaggerated, it doesn't look that bad in person. Also, the other mirror (driver's side) doesn't have this flaw, only one edge/corner of the passenger side mirror.

I only have one OE mirror to compare it to, of which its seal is crumbly, but of course, the original grip and fit on the housing was better. Also, without slicing the housings of an old vs. new, it's hard to tell if the stainless is of the same gauge.

Anyhow, still recommended...I will take closeup pics of this description and edit this post later today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Busstom on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I've had the stainless WW mirrors on my '78 for maybe 5 years now. They would be perfect, except for the grey seal. It is cracking and deteriorating, but still holding together. I've been thinking of taking a trip to the local glass shop, to see if they could do a professional looking repair/replace of these seals. After all, it's kinda what they do...

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Just wanted to come back and say what I did. With all of the good WW recommendations, and the good price of $32 each, I went with those. Here they are installed.

They seem fine so far
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Even though I love mine and think them superior to the og ones - they would not of looked right on your bus. Good choice.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

They look good Gary. I'd be curious if once you set them and tighten the adjustments up, that they hold there. My originals must have weak tightening springs. I set them and they loosen up.

I've been eyeing those WW mirrors.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Duh Gary- I would treat those rubber seals (or anything rubber)regularly with Gummi Pflege. They'll last a lot longer.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Colin- That's the best way to orient the mirrors.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Even though I love mine and think them superior to the og ones - they would not of looked right on your bus. Good choice.

Just got mine in the mail today. What the heck size is this hex key head anyway? Good god I didn't think id have to buy a new tool to install them. It's friggin massive!

edited to add: ok, it's 14mm, easy enough to figure out once I thought about it for a clear moment. still, that's not a size I have ever had before, from what I can remember. sure, it's always nice to pick up new tools, but if ive gone this long without needing a 14mm allen head wrench I probably don't need one other than right now. im already envisioning making one with some 14mm head bolts double nutted. im just impatient and want to put them on now Razz
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
im already envisioning making one with some 14mm head bolts double nutted. im just impatient and want to put them on now Razz

Really no reason that couldn't/shouldn't work if you can find the bolts with 14 mm heads.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

That did work fine btw. Still surprised that others didn't mention it I didn't think that was a standard size to have around.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Isnt it the same as the tranny drain plug?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Isnt it the same as the tranny drain plug?

17mm for drain plug

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Ya, I double nutted a 17mm bolt for my trannie drain and fill plugs. Worked really well and I feel that I was able to torque them adequately.

Those mirrors look good, and kind of match up well with the black wheels and front bumper overriders. Some black powder coated hubcaps would set it off nicely.

Must have been a tough moment drilling the front for the washer tubes on the naranja westy.

Just a regular guy
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-211-857-513-FW

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
Has anyone tried these?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-211-857-513-FW

Yup, I bought a pair, and they function just like the originals.
However, if you're an uber purist, the grey plastic trim around the mirror will not be to your liking. But it's never bothered me...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Dawnpatrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Hi all - I recently had my bus painted and the driver's side mirror glass on the OEM mirror fell out Crying or Very sad There is nothing wrong with my mirror frame. I have found a used mirror arm with good glass and plan to order it, and then glue/ silicone bead the glass from the donor to my OEM mirror frame.

Has anyone done this method? Just trying to keep it stock/ OEM if I can rather than buy a new mirror.

Thanks!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I got a glass shop to cut glass for an OEM mirror with none, but they did a miserable job. They like straight lines.

Joanna Lau Jaime has some NOS mirror parts for sale, like these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1051720

She also has the mounting ferrule (that screws into the door and holds the mirror) in the same ad.

Keep looking! I got really lucky and found a NOS left side wide-angle mirror! It was perfect for the RHD truck.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Dawnpatrol wrote:
Hi all - I recently had my bus painted and the driver's side mirror glass on the OEM mirror fell out Crying or Very sad There is nothing wrong with my mirror frame. I have found a used mirror arm with good glass and plan to order it, and then glue/ silicone bead the glass from the donor to my OEM mirror frame.

Has anyone done this method? Just trying to keep it stock/ OEM if I can rather than buy a new mirror.

Thanks!

someone here cut some (I think grey) very small diam, tubing lengthwise and put it around the glass to simulate the grey seal around the edge. looked great. cant find it now. prob in this thread. that's how good I search.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I found the vacuum line fix and replaced our stock mirror gasket with longitudinally sliced vacuum line. It's not grey, but it has lasted well. Here is my post in the thread that guided me:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8521819#8521819

Finished product:

kingsgate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Does anyone supply the plastic/rubber mirror surrounds, please?

I need a pair if they are available!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: