Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Westy - first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
^^^^Excellent call and thank you for the reminder wcfvw69
Can I get an inline fuel pressure gauge at NAPA or FLAPS? Wondering if the metric fuel line size makes this tricky or do I just say 1/4"?

I'd be tempted to leave it hooked up permanently so I have a roadside check for future fuel issues. Crazy?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a picture of the gauge I bought. I "think" I bought it at NAPA. In this picture, the engine is running after I rebuilt the fuel pump with an NOS repair kit. The gauge is reading 3psi.

You don't need to keep a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. Once you install the pump and check that it's pressure output is in range, you're good to go.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

[quote="Schwing"]

bolted on headers and muffler and called it a night.

I read your thread and really enjoyed it, you've done a great job ! My first bay window was a '72 butter scotch Westy, one of my favorites.

What headers and muffler are you using? It looks really nice.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:

What headers and muffler are you using? It looks really nice.

Thanks man, Vintage Speed. I had to eliminate heater boxes (which I saved). Later on I will add either a gas or propane heater but for where I live, its fine for now. I have a portable propane unit to keep the family warm when we are parked at a campsite.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

You don't need to keep a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. Once you install the pump and check that it's pressure output is in range, you're good to go.

Thanks Bill! I guess you can run this test by just cranking and not running the motor? I'd like to leave plugs out and not foul them again. This engine hatch makes plug installation a little tricky, though I am getting the hang of it.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Thanks Bill! I guess you can run this test by just cranking and not running the motor? I'd like to leave plugs out and not foul them again. This engine hatch makes plug installation a little tricky, though I am getting the hang of it.

No, the motor needs to be running to get an accurate pressure reading.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

owned a 72 of the same color for years. Drove it all over the west coast. Hated the lack of a top hatch but otherwise too many great memories of a real fun ride.

Looking Great! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Schwing wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

No, the motor needs to be running to get an accurate pressure reading.

Glad I asked thanks! Now that I think about it the cam would need to be spinning faster, I get it.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I haven't updated in a while. I sorted out my fuel pump issues by installing a new unit from aircooled.net. After setting up fuel pressure gauge I was at 3.5-4psi at idle. Also my buddy and I fiddled with the carbs enough to get it to idle. I swapped out the lower throttle plates which I believe was causing a minor vaccum leak.

Went through the brakes, replacing vaccum hoses and bleeding. If anyone remembers I replaced the whole system last fall (not including master and booster).

I drove it for the first time last week! soooooo slow. As it turns out my accel cable was all wrong. Its better now but still not right. I cannot find any detailed info on how it should be setup and I know its a one year only thing. Top end is phenomenal on the open road, running very smooth. No front end shimmy at all, but some noises coming from brakes which is why I will go through them again.

Went camping for the first time this weekend. The kids had a blast! It was a stressful drive for me, thinking about everything that could go wrong and hearing new noises but we made it there and back.

Next up, replacing the booster and master cylinder and re-bleeding brakes. After that I am going to play with the carbs more and go through Colins step by step now that this beast starts and idles.

The family voted that I should not paint the bumpers. So on they went. Actually a brilliant idea cause now I can stand on it to load the rack and not worry about scratching paint. Oh did I mention broken bolts, drilling and tapping. yes lots of that, front and rear. I never wanted this bus to look restored so it was a cool idea. I am usually quick to repaint stuff.

First drive to my sons baseball practice. We were stoked we even made it. This was the third time I drove it.

Posturpedic foam from Target, cut to size. Because there was this one night I tried to sleep in it in the backyard, and it was way too firm for me.

Made it to my friends party. Other cool campers there. Thats a Ford Falcon Super Camper I believe. The top also opens.

He lives near the water so my son's room in the poptop was waterview and he loved that. We walked down to the water in the morning and saw Osprey on a nest.

My daughter in her spot, she freakin loved it. Don't worry the heater is just on in the AM to take off the chill before we got dressed in our street clothes.

She is a quirky bus, I won't lie. But I am making some progress. Its down to timing and carbs on this engine now. Something I have been fighting a lot. All in time.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Congratulations on a sucessful first trip!, you'll never forget that one.
Fuel pressure still sounds a bit high but if it's not overwhelming the floats you can tune around that. Time for some fine tuning, that should have plenty of power, not in a drag racer sort of way (especially when fully loaded), but it should be able to keep up with traffic OK, adjusting your timing and driving style should help.
Schwing wrote:
........now I can stand on it to load the rack and not worry about scratching paint. .......

Once you discover what that zipper in the rear of the pop top canvas is for you won't have to stand on the bumper anymore Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Congratulations on a sucessful first trip!, you'll never forget that one.
Fuel pressure still sounds a bit high but if it's not overwhelming the floats you can tune around that. Time for some fine tuning, that should have plenty of power, not in a drag racer sort of way (especially when fully loaded), but it should be able to keep up with traffic OK, adjusting your timing and driving style should help.
Schwing wrote:
........now I can stand on it to load the rack and not worry about scratching paint. .......

Once you discover what that zipper in the rear of the pop top canvas is for you won't have to stand on the bumper anymore Wink

Haha yes sir I am aware of the removable window, very convenient when installing fresh canvas, my own trick. Yes I agree 100% I need to get these carbs tuned and maybe try advancing my timing a touch. I'm at 25BTDC @ 3500RPM but I have a mild cam From Greg at Fat Performance. Probably wouldn't hurt for me to call him and see what he recommends.
Also there is no info on how the accel cable connects to the left carb. I had to fab a steel collar and the circlip I have appears to be too small so it does not move freely. If anyone has a closeup pic that would be amazing. The first 1" of gas pedal travel seems to do almost nothing which makes the pedal feel dead or engine sluggish. My buddy drove the bus and immediately stalled it.

About fuel pump pressure I thought I was right on the mark per Bentley??

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

OK, 5 psi it then, I still like to keep it a little on the low side thanks to the moonshine in modern gas boiling every time you stop for 10 minutes.

Here's a little bit on the throttle cable tha may help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347868

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
OK, 5 psi it then, I still like to keep it a little on the low side thanks to the moonshine in modern gas boiling every time you stop for 10 minutes.

Here's a little bit on the throttle cable tha may help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347868

Thanks thats great info! I will share my solution (or lack thereof) in that thread. I searched and was not able to find that.

I appreciate your help and input. By the way wasn't arguing fuel pressure, just wasn't sure if you had more intel on the topic from personal experience versus a bentley recommendation. You bring up a good point with fuel differences. Thanks.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Schwing wrote:
I have an SVDA pertronix flamethrower.

You'll be disappointed, start searching for a real VW 021-905-205E to replace it and put a module in that if you feel you must.

For now cap the nipple on the aircleaner side of the carb.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHosesCarb.html

Your were right! Its a POS. It would not advance. I ended up plugging both ports and setting up the 009 that was on it, with fresh points and a new cap/rotor and it runs great! Hard to believe a 009 would resolve an issue. I think it will get me through this season while I try to source the correct dist.

First semi-long distance camping trip this weeked. Still sorting out little things like passenger tailight not working, unidentifiable noises etc. The fun stuff.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

First camping trip was a success! 310 miles round trip, not a super long trip but a big step for this bus that's sat since 1989.

It cruised really nice! I was on NJ Turnpike cruising at 70mph with no effort, Pandora and Google Maps to help and my family was so excited.

I won't lie, I was pretty nervous the night before and the day of the big trip. I didn't want to disappoint my family. To be honest, I wasn't even sure if the car was ready for a trip like this, but I decided to just go for it.

I averaged 22mpg and the exhaust was much quieter than what I had expected after reading things on the Samba.

Nothing but rain the whole way up. 150 miles of rain.

Stopping for sandwiches and to meet a friend.

The family unit. This trip was the first time my wife ever rode in the bus. The week I got it on the road she had to head out of town to tend to family matters.

Looking out the window waving at people as they passed us. He told me a week before this trip that we would make it just fine. He was right.

Vintage Motel

Parked at the show, Dubs in the Shrubs.

We had many celebratory drinks

Camping layout. I am on the right. Lots of great buses and good people. No one minded the rain.

Parked at the show the next day.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

That's fantastic!, congratulations!
Adventures like that will stick with you and your family for life, and mostly in a good way Very Happy
Now get out there and make some more memories before your kids are too old to be seen with you, that will seem like next year the way time flies Wink

Слава Україні!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Thanks man, kids were tired and fighting with each other something fierce on the way home. Ipad needed a charge and we didn't come up with any creative ways to keep them busy, cause we were tired too!

But the sound of that engine just kept me going. Next camping trip is tentative for May 6.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Next camping trip is now booked or Martinak State Park on the eastern shore of MD on the Choptank River.

Occasionally I hear a noise almost like a whistle or air leaking. It is very intermittent, as in I can go a full hour of driving and not hear it. In fact everything sounded healthy on my last trip. I can sometimes hear it when the engine first starts and is cold, or if I re-start it while it is still hot right after an extended trip.

I was told to potentially re-torque heads. I do recall getting the headers glowing red while getting my timing right. I wonder if that heat caused any trouble??

Or could it be my stainless steel headers need to be torqued. Please note, I have never torqued them, just made em tight. Thoughts? Tests I can perform?

Is it common to have to retorque heads on a type 4 after break in?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

No need to retorque heads if assembled properly to begin with. The exhaust usually benefits from a snugging up after a few heat cycles though.

How's your ignition switch?, a starter sticking on sometimes makes a whistle.

Слава Україні!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
No need to retorque heads if assembled properly to begin with. The exhaust usually benefits from a snugging up after a few heat cycles though.

How's your ignition switch?, a starter sticking on sometimes makes a whistle.

Thanks, you got me thinking...wouldn't a compression test tell me right away if I have loose heads? Also on quick inspection I already found a nut on my header that could be tighter. Hoping to be off this afternoon so I can play VW.

busnutdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Hey bud, Dave from Delaware. Just got on samba for the first time in a bit. Congrats on getting the bus on the road. Camping with my kids are the best memories we have. Enjoy the good times that a VW can provide.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: