Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I think my Beetle really likes that VR1. It's purrrrrs.

... until it upchucks a hairball... Twisted Evil

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I found Valvoline 20W50 and will use this in my 71.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

s60088 wrote:
I found Valvoline 20W50 and will use this in my 71.

Why 20W50? Is the engine worn out and experiencing issues with low oil pressure? Is your climate excessively hot?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I live in the NYC metro area. What grade oil would you suggest. I'm looking at Brad Penn and Vr-1. 10w30, 10w40 or 20w50?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I live in the NYC metro area. What grade oil would you suggest. I'm looking at Brad Penn and Vr-1. 10w30, 10w40 or 20w50?

Brad Penn is slightly less good for wear protection, supposedly, than the VR1.

New engine in good shape- vr1 10/30

Tired engine- vr1 10/40

This is a hell of a read, but look at the ranking of high zinc oils, and diesel oils (sections 9-13) if you have the time-
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't have a new engine. I have the original engine in my 70 with original 73000 miles. Runs well. So I wouldn't say tired, but definitely not new.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So my motor is original to the car. It has 74k on it, runs strong and well. Has a couple drips on shut down here and there. Nothing major. I've read thus whole thread and have decided as stated above between brad Penn and valvoline race. Given the mileage on my car, I don't want to blow seals or anything with a really heavy or low weight oil etc. The brad Penn 10w30 is semi synthetic, so I'd like to avoid that. The brad Penn 10w40 doesn't state whether it is semi synthetic, if its full Dino, this is a food option I think.
The valvoline race comes in 10w30 and 20w50 or straight 40. 10w30 may be too light? 40 isn't a multigrade etc. 20w50, never have run that type weight oil. Is that really heavy? Looking for a good option here
It has also been brought to my attention about regular valvoline 10w40? Does this have sufficient zinc?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Unless it says it has zinc consider it a mystery. Both VR1 and Brad Green Penn state they have Zinc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So the question is whether brad Penn 10w40 is semi synthetic. Their 10w30 is. What does that even mean.

Then in the valvoline side there is 10w30, 20w50 or straight 40. I really am not sure which to use.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
So my motor is original to the car. It has 74k on it, runs strong and well. Has a couple drips on shut down here and there. Nothing major. I've read thus whole thread and have decided as stated above between brad Penn and valvoline race. Given the mileage on my car, I don't want to blow seals or anything with a really heavy or low weight oil etc. The brad Penn 10w30 is semi synthetic, so I'd like to avoid that. The brad Penn 10w40 doesn't state whether it is semi synthetic, if its full Dino, this is a food option I think.
The valvoline race comes in 10w30 and 20w50 or straight 40. 10w30 may be too light? 40 isn't a multigrade etc. 20w50, never have run that type weight oil. Is that really heavy? Looking for a good option here
It has also been brought to my attention about regular valvoline 10w40? Does this have sufficient zinc?

Start with a light oil, say a 5w30 and see if the engine will make sufficient oil pressure, if not go thicker. Note that many of today's straight weight oils have viscosities similar to a multigrade without needing additives to accomplish it. A 30wt may well have the same "cold" viscosity as a 10w30, but there is variance by brand and perhaps even from batch to batch in the same brand.

All oils have ZDDP (zinc) in them TTBOMK, it is the amount that counts and you may have to do some searching to find that out.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

What other options are there for high zing other than vr1 and brad Penn? Vr1 doesn't make a 10w40 and brad Penn is kind of difficult to find. How does this stuff fair when using with a regular oil?
http://www.bughaus.com/Zinc_Additive.htm
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What other options are there for high zing other than vr1 and brad Penn? Vr1 doesn't make a 10w40 and brad Penn is kind of difficult to find. How does this stuff fair when using with a regular oil?
http://www.bughaus.com/Zinc_Additive.htm

Why not blend 50/50 the VR1 20w-50 with the 10w-30. If you look at these oil's CST's which is the viscosity this is an easy fix.
Also, if you like Valvoline's product line they make a couple of very nice 15w-40 oils. One is their Premium Blue Diesel and the other is their All Fleet Plus. Both oils are dual rated.
Bill.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Why not blend 50/50 the VR1 20w-50 with the 10w-30. If you look at these oil's CST's which is the viscosity this is an easy fix.
Also, if you like Valvoline's product line they make a couple of very nice 15w-40 oils. One is their Premium Blue Diesel and the other is their All Fleet Plus. Both oils are dual rated.
Bill.

You can not mix weights of oil and get a custom blend. If you mix a bottle of 10W-30 and a bottle of 20W-50 you DO NOT get a 15W-40 blend of motor oil. What you get is a screwed up soupy mess. The oil companies will tell you this if you ask them.

Go back 30-40 pages and read. With todays gov't regulations you should no longer run diesel oils in a gasoline engine. Yes the label say they are rated for both, but because Diesel engines operate at a much lower RPM range, the Diesel oils have too much of some additives and not enough of other additives for the higher RPM range gasoline engines turn.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Well, that is debatable.
I say it's OK to mix different wights of the same product line, in MOST cases.

Joe Gibbs says it's ok also

It could be a bad idea in some cases, but I've never heard of a problem actually happening. While on the other hand, I have heard of a few cases of additives being not compatible with each other and causing foam or something. They sure do sell a lot of oil additives, bunch of snake oil, should be avoided.......but IMO, adding oil to oil is usually just fine.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

If you have an M35 you can put everything in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I mix my brands and weights I always have and always will.with the crank&rods&heads in my 2028 having well over 130000 miles on them and still std sizes,the main bearings have well over 110000 as does the cam&lifters&gears.as assembled now they have around 80000 miles on them. so...mixing dont hurt. in tech schools the oil company reps for that manufacture stated."we make the oil for the big 3 manufactures" it is all diferent additive packages min the same oil to address the issues each manufacture saw a issue in. and additive's took care of the issue's. mix and you get the best of the best. I like the quaker state defy/highmilage semi syn it has zinc in it although they forgot to add that to the packaging when they changed this labeling this year.I contacted them and they did not change the oil just labeling as was not aware that was left off..... I mix it with castrol syn,penisynthetc,valvoline syn and even sometimes mobile...Im not a fan of mobile oil but it may have atleast 1 good thing in it so i do use it too. I will not use any racing oil in a motor that is not a dedicated race engine. no snake oil shit, no lucas mucas shit.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Mark,

Sounds similar to gas. It is all the same (except for octane) at the pump except what the tanker adds to it when they fill it at the pipe.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Mark,

Sounds similar to gas. It is all the same (except for octane) at the pump except what the tanker adds to it when they fill it at the pipe.

Bullshit. There are different blends of gas all over the country. Every state has regulation to adjust to geographic altitudes and EPA air quality standards. There are also different summer and winter blends. Somewhere I read there were 175 different blends of gasoline sold in the USA. Here in Oklahoma almost everybody sell 100% pure gas. In some states you can only get e10-e15 gas.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So, you are telling me there are 175 different pipelines where that truck driver picks up the gas? There is probably only a fraction of that and they are mixed accordingly.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
So, you are telling me there are 175 different pipelines where that truck driver picks up the gas? There is probably only a fraction of that and they are mixed accordingly.

175 sounds like a lot so I did a search, this article says 20:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3180/summer-...-13747431/
I don't know if that is definitive and it's also from 2012, in case anything has changed.

Quote:
175 different pipelines

Question Probably not 20 either since it's not like they are trucking gas from one refinery across the entire USA. Smile

We should probably stick to oil discussions in this thread though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 208 of 235

Jump to: