Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Guy
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: New Guy Reply with quote

New guy. I am retired and have been messing with cars since age 14. I have built several Ford traditional hot rods and have worked on all types of cars. I have had a Siata, 35 Packard, 356 Porsche, 69 VW. And currently have a 1939 Ford pickup and a 1930 Ford Coupe AV8. My wife always wanted a Thing. She thinks they are cute. I just bought this 1973 Thing. Not sure what the plan is but I am sure I will need advice and help from this group.
Pete

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

Aloha Pete!
You'll find this group very helpful, and I'll use this line to thank all of you who've helped me so far. Hope I can return the favor someday.
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. My 1974 Thing once had the generator seize about 25 miles outside of Hayward, Wisconsin. My sister and I spent the week sleeping at a canoe landing near a 100-foot tall statue of a muskie fish at the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Hayward is terrific but there are not a lot of local sources for air-cooled VW parts and expertise. Good luck!
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

The big fish is still there.I am hoping to track down a guy in Duluth that has a bug drag car. I saw him run in the street drags they hold in Duluth. He made it to the second day beating big engine cars. Very fast. I heard he works on VW.
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Pete.
I also recently purchased a Thing. Mine's a 74 and the same color as yours.
If you need parts there are three online business that sell Thing parts.

http://www.thingsforthething.com/

http://www.thingparts.com/

http://www.thethingshop.com/

Right now mine is on the hoist waiting for my tranny, which is out for a rebuild.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pete VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

Thanks 911 for the parts leads. Wow you have one great shop. Oh how I wish I had a lift.
Pete
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

Welcome Pete. Nice looking 181 - love the wheels. Keep it off those salty roads in your Wisconsin winters Shocked !

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

I have had my 73 for two + years. Its a whole lotta fun for an old dude. Like driving a car from the 1930s.. welcome.

I have learned a lot here thanks to the help of many. Still learning.
Love to tinker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: