Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery location in
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Battery location in Reply with quote

Currently restoring a 59 ghia it's not original i.e. Its going 12v alternator etc
Got to the battery and debating merits of putting under rear seat.
I have two children and don't think it's ideal to sit on a battery, Or even have a battery in the cabin although it all seems convenient.

Any for or against this ?

I think in a lhd 59 the battery should be right hand side facing in the boot is this correct ?

Also grounding the battery in the boot any better ways than straight to engine?

Thanks again
Paul
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

The only "negatives" I can think of relating to having tha battery mounted inside the passenger cabin and under a seat are

- if you were to use an old fashioned non-sealed type of battery, there is the possibility of fumes being given off by the battery and poluting the cabin air

- if the seat has metal springs that could potentially short out across an uncovered battery top and potentially cause a fire

I've had many an Audi that had the battery located beneath the rear seat, and it was never a problem.
In fact, I personally believe that mounting it in a place that is sheltered from the temperature extremes typically found in the engine compartment helps prolong the life of the battery.

Get yourself a sealed battery and do a forum search for tips on mounting it under the rear seat.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Get yourself a sealed battery

Yep, the only type I'd use... considering what the older versions did to the battery tray in the engine bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkmar73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

I have always ran a battery under the seat of my ghia. Just run a sealed battery, I am currently running an Odyssey battery. I just made a ground cable from the battery to a body mount bolt. I also installed a battery cut off switch to disconnect the battery when not using the car.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

Since the Ghia seat bottom is made from wood, there is not problem about shorting. Just makes sure you secure it with quality hold downs or you could salvage the hold down brackets from a Beetle floor to use for a stock looking system. When I'm building a car I bolt the major ground cable to the transaxle and then run a secondary body ground. The reason I do this is that the starter is the highest load in the car, and it is there before the charging system is running. Having the ground and power wires bolted directly to the high load gives a better current path. But that's just me, VW bolted the ground cable to the body in all cars except the Ghia.

brad
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback
Using a sealed modern battery now and will go for under bench seat

Cheers
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

harrycrackerdog wrote:
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback
Using a sealed modern battery now and will go for under bench seat Cheers

I think you made the right decision. Placing the battery (sealed and secured as suggested by others here) under the seat has the additional advantage of decluttering your engine bay. Easier to clean, easier to work on the components.

Battery under the seat:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine bay:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
The only "negatives" I can think of relating to having tha battery mounted inside the passenger cabin and under a seat are

- if you were to use an old fashioned non-sealed type of battery, there is the possibility of fumes being given off by the battery and poluting the cabin air

- if the seat has metal springs that could potentially short out across an uncovered battery top and potentially cause a fire

I have a couple of other negatives:

- sealed batteries cost 2-3 times as much as a normal battery (at least in Asutralia they do because they are all imported premium batteries)

- jump starting would be a bit of a pain unless you have very long jumper cables

But it does look good not having the battery in the engine bay.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

I don't care either way. But I will note there is plenty of room for it in the engine bay and jumping a classic car is quite common. I like having the easiest access to it.
jkmar73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

You can always add remote battery terminals and mount them anywhere you would like for jump starting. The battery cost is expensive, but I looked at as it's cheaper than having your to replace you pan.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I don't care either way. But I will note there is plenty of room for it in the engine bay and jumping a classic car is quite common. I like having the easiest access to it.

I see your point, and there's certainly no denying that "jumping a classic car is quite common". Smile

As jkmar73 has pointed out, remote battery terminals can be added and run to a place more convenient for jump starting - that's what the engineers do in the modern cars that utilize a remote battery location.
Actually, all you would need is a single remote positive battery terminal as the negative jumper cable clamp can simply be attached to any unpainted metal part that is connected to ground.

The Ghias are so light, though, IMO it's probably less of a hassle to just push start it and thereby eliminate the need to find someone willing to jump you.
Back in my college days when I drove an old 1966 Karmann Ghia with a rather unreliable 6V electrical system, I got pretty darn good at push starting the car by myself.
(If you plan ahead when parking, you'd be suprised by just how often you can find a small decline that will allow gravity to assist your push. Wink )
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

How many years were Beetle batteries under the metal spings of the back seat? Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
briggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

Are there seat belts in the back for the Kiddies ? or did you install some
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery location in Reply with quote

No seat belts at present but planning on it obviously
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: