Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust options camper special engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hey!

It's not that one, but it's like it (I think mine and that one use the same filter elements). I bought the more universal 25-906 model:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/25-90...ON-12-NPT/

I think I got it from JEGS...it's an expensive filter compared with the old push-on disposables, but it's easy to change out the filters with each 10K service, and they sell the o-ring kits, too, should you ever need them (I've opened mine up 4 times so far and the original o-rings are still working well).

I think these are the elements I'm using (this is the 6-pack):

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/26-62...LTER-6-PK/

So far, so good! Smile

Gonna order that exhaust now Wink

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

On a side note, since noise is a big concern to you, have you tried any sound deadner mats inside the bus? Thinkin if that would help with the exhaust noise a bit?
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hey!

Yes, I've done them in some of the more available areas...rear engine area, floor under rear seat, front seat base area, a little in the doors, in the sliding door and rear hatch...but admittedly not everywhere.

Stainless header exhaust ordered!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Hey!

Yes, I've done them in some of the more available areas...rear engine area, floor under rear seat, front seat base area, a little in the doors, in the sliding door and rear hatch...but admittedly not everywhere.

Stainless header exhaust ordered!

- Doug Smile

Ooooh. Post a full wfite up when it comes in pleass! I have been asking here and there over the past year or so and no one seems to have bought one yet....or if they have they have not posted anything.

I wont need an exhaust until probably fall. If its nice it may be worth it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Will do!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Doug, which exhaust did you end up ordering?

Bill

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

The stainless header & single quiet pack muffler from Car Craft (seemed like the best price when factoring in shipping...around $300 shipped).
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Can you provide a link?
Seems to be a few different ones on there. Trying to pinpoint the exact one you chose, might help for others as well. Laughing

Thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Can you provide a link?
Seems to be a few different ones on there. Trying to pinpoint the exact one you chose, might help for others as well. Laughing

Thanks!

Laughing ....you may be having trouble locating the items we are taking about .....if you are not sure what we are talking about.

The operative words here are:

Headers for type 4 engines....and nothing else

HEADERS......meaning not mufflers, connecting pipes etc.

Stainless steel....not painted, not powder..... coated not steel etc.

On both pages....VW Heritage and Car Craft there is only one that fits that description and bolts up to stock heater boxes.

But to make it simple..... Wink

http://carcraftstore.com/stainlesslatetype2andtype4exhaust.aspx

Ray
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

That car craft one looks nice. Stainless is a softer metal and the stainless exhaust on my Vanagon has had problems with cracking at the flanges where they attach to the pipe. Search on the Vanagon form as this is an active topic. My old stock VW muffler for the 78 heat exchangers lasted 20 years. I got it in a junkyard and hit it with a coat of silver BBQ paint when I was in school. That was a long time ago! My point is don't ignore a good mild steel muffler as it may outlast any stainless set up.

It's hard to determine what the best exhaust will be for this motor. Obviously a free flowing exhaust is better for any type IV. The CS motor is supposed to be more resistant to dropped valve seats and I was already getting 60K miles out of a set of stock VW heads and the highly restrictive 78 style exhaust.

The new performance motor will have the less restrictive 74 heater boxes and muffler. I will be watching the Dakota digital CHT numbers and see if they are acceptable. No guage before, so I won't have a direct comparison. But I guess the info on stock head temps is out there already.

It is nice to hear those very positive stories about Jake, that he helped a lot of people and gave to the community. I do have one of his motors and will be running it for as long as possible.

When I was a kid, I threw a rock at a bee hive....

Just a regular guy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
That car craft one looks nice. Stainless is a softer metal and the stainless exhaust on my Vanagon has had problems with cracking at the flanges where they attach to the pipe. Search on the Vanagon form as this is an active topic. My old stock VW muffler for the 78 heat exchangers lasted 20 years. I got it in a junkyard and hit it with a coat of silver BBQ paint when I was in school. That was a long time ago! My point is don't ignore a good mild steel muffler as it may outlast any stainless set up.

It's hard to determine what the best exhaust will be for this motor. Obviously a free flowing exhaust is better for any type IV. The CS motor is supposed to be more resistant to dropped valve seats and I was already getting 60K miles out of a set of stock VW heads and the highly restrictive 78 style exhaust.

The new performance motor will have the less restrictive 74 heater boxes and muffler. I will be watching the Dakota digital CHT numbers and see if they are acceptable. No guage before, so I won't have a direct comparison. But I guess the info on stock head temps is out there already.

It is nice to hear those very positive stories about Jake, that he helped a lot of people and gave to the community. I do have one of his motors and will be running it for as long as possible.

When I was a kid, I threw a rock at a bee hive....

Laughing

Stainless is a blessing and a pain. The problem from what I have heard....is that the most common stainless steel used for auto exhaust systems.....is 409. But.....while its stronger with superior grain structure, less prone to cracking....its susceptible to salt corrosion on yhe outer surface .....and it's cheaper....which are the positives and negatives of why it is used by aftermarket companies like magnaflow

304...discolors from heat....but is much more corrosion resistant.....but it cracks easier and is harder to weld.

So its hard to tell how good something is unless you can see how and what its made of. Ray
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Terminatez wrote:
Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

Laughing ....you may be having trouble locating the items we are taking about .....if you are not sure what we are talking about.

On both pages....VW Heritage and Car Craft there is only one that fits that description and bolts up to stock heater boxes.

Ray

Thanks, that's the one I was looking at. Just wanted to make sure considering I'm still in the process of learning. Better to be sure that I'm looking at the right stuff than mixing up my terminology with something that isn't. Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Terminatez wrote:
Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

Ray

Thanks, that's the one I was looking at. Just wanted to make sure considering I'm still in the process of learning. Better to be sure that I'm looking at the right stuff than mixing up my terminology with something that isn't. Very Happy

Exactly!....which is why I thought it would help to explain what we were looking at! Very Happy Ray
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hey all,

I got around to welding an oxygen sensor bung on that stainless T-bird copy from Car Craft (it's an EMPI exhaust) and just installed it on the bus yesterday morning. I took it for a quick test drive afterward...here's what I think so far:

- The sound is more close to the stock exhaust than the VS muffler by a long shot. I don't remember the original, plain steel EMPI header but Chait's being this quiet.

- The setup definitely interferes with the Jamie Miller receiver hitch I have, so I had to leave that off.

- EMPI clearly doesn't understand that a lot of bus owners have bumper overriders, as every EMPI header exhaust I've ever had has the tailpipe coming out right where I have my overrider. I had to move them inward a good bit to just where the engine hatch clears them.

- Install was otherwise straightforward. The kit comes with all gaskets but does not have the 6 bolts/nuts you need to mount it to the heater boxes.

- CHTs seem like they might be a little lower, but 1) I didn't have time for a longer highway sprint and 2) I think either I don't have a good enough connection with my DD CHT sensor or it needs to be replaced, but my CHT seems to be registering high recently especially in humid weather. A few days ago on my usual morning commute, and with no other noticeable differences, I hit 400 on the gauge...but after arriving at work I opened up the engine bay and could comfortably put my hand right on the engine tin by the heads...it was barely even warm in the the engine compartment. Replacement SEN-11-8 sensor on the way.

- Performance is good...definitely a little better than with the stock muffler.

I'll post some pics when I have a chance this week.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Thank you for the review!
So....the car craft dxhaust is EMPI. I Wonder if the one from VW Heritage in the UK is EMPI as well?

Depending on how it works out quality wise.....I have also been thinking of just buying a nice collector, a collection of mandrel bent tubes....and makimg my own.

Yep I would bet that whoever originally set up the T-bird design/shape.....was tginking 914 and not bus. Ray
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the review as well.

I have my heart set on the VS exhaust but this may be a better option unless I can find a used VS someone wants to sell me Wink

Nice work. Any videos?

Curt
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

I have been running this setup for about 8000 mi. I changed from what I think was this setup in carbon steel. Not much difference performance-wise. I did the hillbilly oil pickle but it still discolors no matter what.

I have run this in every kind of condition the Northwest has to offer. The CS always runs strong. I rarely reach 400 degree head temps unless I'm approaching the apex of a mountain pass. Desert temp (90+) runs 375 - 395 at 60mph. West of the mountains I run about 325 - 350 degrees at 60-65. Oil temps 190 in cool conditions 210 in hot conditions.

About the basket. I do not run the fan basket. Jake told me that temperatures will run 10 - 15 degrees lower without the basket. I am super careful not to leave anything loose in the engine compartment.

I have been noticing a bit of a leak in the system at the head at #2. I'm moving to address that issue now along with a small but persistent oil leak at the case/filter adapter.

I just finished a 2200 mile trip in NoCal. Desert, Mountains, Napa Valley, Cape Mendocino. Forest service roads, two lane, freeway. It handles everything flawlessly.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

What's a hillbilly oil pickle?
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hillbilly Pickle: Run til hot - Slather with used french fry oil - Repeat - Repeat again. Again?

The bolts and nuts that come with it, in my case, were dog crap. I had to get some 10mm bolts and nuts. I felt I needed them to get enough bearing surface on the trapezoidal flanges. The flanges are skookum, welding was actually pretty good.

I figure any veg oil will work for the pickle but I like to think that the really bad shit in the used oil scares Twisted Evil the rust away. It gets a kinda red/orange speckled look. Like the belly of my redheaded former girlfriend.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Took the stock muffler I was running off as I finally installed the repaired SS setup. CHT's were down a good 15-20 degrees running at 70 mph on a run upto Mt Vernon Sunday.

Looking to order the SS empi muffler I guess for a long term solution. My S&S exhaust is rusty as hell and repaired.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: