Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flywheel pilot bearing sleeve
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

Since you are already that far in, Yes replace the rear main seal with one from gowesty NOT one from the regular auto parts store, and yes, might as well replace the pilot bearing too. Oh and the little o-rimg between the flywheel and crank. Do that and you're done.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

Also do the input shaft seal on the tranny and replace the clutch disc even if it still looks pretty good.
dschmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I have replaced the Trans input seal, it was worn, and am ready to replace the flywheel seal/ o ring, and pilot bearing but now am measuring the end play.
There were only three thrust shims in place, and the tabbed washer shown in Bentley is not there. None of the shims is inscribed and I don't have a micrometer.
But Bentley keeps referring to '86 and after. This is a 1985. The flywheel / crank endplay measured like the video on Bostiq shows reliably .008 in. The book says limit is .007 and I should aim for .005. But again, this seems for a 1986+ waterboxer.
So my question, what endplay should I aim for on THIS engine? Engine number (it is a replaced GEX engine) is DH05416C
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

You don't want to tighten the end play if part of the play is caused by the bearing moving in its bore. If you try to do so you can destroy the shims, the bearing, the crank, and maybe even the case. You might want to go onto the Type 1 or Bus forums and search on how to determine is the bearing is sitting tight in its bore or moving.
dschmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

Wildthings:
I found this in an old thread:
I found that reply from Boston Bob that I mentioned on Saturday:

"Never add (Change) shims on a used high milage 1.9 to lessen the crank movement. The reason of the increase in endplay on the 1.9 engines is the movement of the main bearing in the case. So if you where to use thicker shims to eliminate the endplay you would run the risk of locking the flywheel to the rear main bearing due to the lack of clearance between the thrust surfaces"

And in a follow up email B. Bob wrote:

"do not try to close down the end play, its the bearing movment not the shims that are worn so if you tighten up the endplay the rear main will sieze.

For the 1.9, 006" is fine, it's not broken, dont fix it. For the 2.1, it could be tightened, but don't bother, it's not a problem.

So I'm inclined to bolt her back up with .008 endplay. Plus, it's almost impossible to find the right shims... Wink
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

FYI

http://www.van-cafe.com/crankshaft-c1514

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
horangi i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

In which direction should the end with the rubber seal face, toward the crank or the flywheel? I know it must be common sense but I want to get it right!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel pilot bearing sleeve Reply with quote

horangi i wrote:
In which direction should the end with the rubber seal face, toward the crank or the flywheel? I know it must be common sense but I want to get it right!

The seal faces outward, away from the engine and towards the tranny.

https://www.europaparts.com/clutch-pilot-bearing-056105313c.html

Remember that you have to clearance the flywheel with a stepped drill bit or by having a recess machined in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: