Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Here's a couple engine pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have other stuff to go on it later....

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
NIASE/ASE Master Mechanic
Low Country VW Club
Southern Integrity Aircoolers
drscope wrote:
If the guys on TV can do it in an hour, you should be able to get it done in 60 days!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Great job. Been watching this thread for a while.
Couple of questions tho, are u leaving the semaphores body colour or will u go black as a point of difference as a lot of semaphores were black originally too.
And how extreme original are you going to go on the motor too?
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Good questions there D-Train. I believe only the "Ribbed", Early Splitty semaphores were originally Black and the "Smooth", Oval and later were Body Colored...I'll leave mine body colored.

As for the engine and the rest of the car I'm trying to get as close to "Original" or at least "Period Correct" with stock pieces and accessories. I will upgrade or replace as I go. The Big Generator Nut is just a Fan nut I put on there for looks !!! The engine in there now is a '60 but I have a March '55 Case getting ready to be built.

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
If the guys on TV can do it in an hour, you should be able to get it done in 60 days!
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Yesterday (4/29/17) was the First Outing for Sweet Pea and we both had a Blast !!! I brought her in with my '65 Double Cab...

....then the Fun began !!!!

And finally a little Icing to top that Wonderful Cake....Top Air-Cooled VW !!!!

I couldn't be happier...it was a GREAT DAY !!!

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Jody, definitely happy that you are getting to enjoy the ca now, I followed your build the entire time.

I'm not picking, so don't gripe at me, but check the seals around your tailights. Did they rip?

Also, I have a 36hp manifold powder coated the same silver if you want it. The heat riser tubes are in much better shape.

Here is a picture of it:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Jody, definitely happy that you are getting to enjoy the ca now, I followed your build the entire time.

I'm not picking, so don't gripe at me, but check the seals around your tailights. Did they rip?

Also, I have a 36hp manifold powder coated the same silver if you want it. The heat riser tubes are in much better shape.

Here is a picture of it:

Thank you, that's very nice of you !!!

The taillight gaskets are kinda folded under....they are a Bitch to get right. I bought those special and they are real hard to make work. I checked with WW and they want $36. EACH !!!! What's up with that ?? Gold Inlaid or something ?? Anyway I got a length of vacuum hose that I'm gonna split and use....I'll beat it one way or another !!!

Let me know about the intake !!! Name and address ?? Shipping ??

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

I'll check shipping and get back with you...

Yeah, those seals are expensive, I remember crying over mine, but I've never had an issue with them. Mine came from WCM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Check cip1 for those seals, I got mine there and they fit great. Heat them up a little with a heat gun and they get nice and pliable.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

bugmandave wrote:
Check cip1 for those seals, I got mine there and they fit great. Heat them up a little with a heat gun and they get nice and pliable.

Still $35.00 EACH..... I'm having a hard time believing these prices....

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

jody714 wrote:
Good questions there D-Train. I believe only the "Ribbed", Early Splitty semaphores were originally Black and the "Smooth", Oval and later were Body Colored...I'll leave mine body colored.

As for the engine and the rest of the car I'm trying to get as close to "Original" or at least "Period Correct" with stock pieces and accessories. I will upgrade or replace as I go. The Big Generator Nut is just a Fan nut I put on there for looks !!! The engine in there now is a '60 but I have a March '55 Case getting ready to be built.

Jody

Most Aussie ones I've seen are black, wether it's just a thing here because a lot of them have the body colour overspray on the sides of them. Either way it's looking good an congrats on the trophy!
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:

Jody

Most Aussie ones I've seen are black, wether it's just a thing here because a lot of them have the body colour overspray on the sides of them. Either way it's looking good an congrats on the trophy!

Thank You !!! I thought about it and decided to go with body color mainly to hide them from the un-knowing. WAY too many didn't know what the Swamp cooler was or how it worked so you can imagine what a Semaphore popping out would do to their frail minds !!! Like being a tour guide in an Antique Museum !!!
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

So, is the intake manifold silver and not light grey?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:

Jody

Thank You !!! I thought about it and decided to go with body color mainly to hide them from the un-knowing. WAY too many didn't know what the Swamp cooler was or how it worked so you can imagine what a Semaphore popping out would do to their frail minds !!! Like being a tour guide in an Antique Museum !!!

I hear you! My daily is a 6v 57 oval still running semaphores, no one sees them so have to be extra vigilant driving around the place
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Gray is the "factory correct" color. Silver just looks better, that's my opinion
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:

Jody

I hear you! My daily is a 6v 57 oval still running semaphores, no one sees them so have to be extra vigilant driving around the place

That's why I found and purchased the "Blinking LED " bulbs for mine (see earlier post)...whoever is behind MIGHT figure out that the Blinking light means it's a Turn Signal...!!!!
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Gray is the "factory correct" color. Silver just looks better, that's my opinion

So did you pull the pin and go OKRASA with your engine ??

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:

Jody

That's why I found and purchased the "Blinking LED " bulbs for mine (see earlier post)...whoever is behind MIGHT figure out that the Blinking light means it's a Turn Signal...!!!!

I'm running those as well, but I find one side is a bit lazy, checked and rechecked everything too..
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:
D-train wrote:
jody714 wrote:

Jody

I'm running those as well, but I find one side is a bit lazy, checked and rechecked everything too..

A loose signal switch made my right one lazy...tightened it up good and no more problems.
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

Car looks great Jody. Can't wait to see it in person.

Where was that show at?
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jody's 55 semaphore three fold restoration! Reply with quote

tlambert wrote:
Car looks great Jody. Can't wait to see it in person.

Where was that show at?

Hey Tim, that was down in North Charleston at the Trident Tech Collage "Spring Warm-Up" car/truck/motorcycle yearly show. This was the 25th Anniversary of that show and show admission was Free !!!!

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: