Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:
Syncrozilla wrote:

I've been saying this for a few years now. I'd love to see someone organize a "Vanfest" type of event somewhere in the central California area. The venue needs to be a space with room to grow, nice camping, water would be a huge bonus and the infrastructure for a large event. I think it should be about 4 days long. If the venue was right and the event had good organization it could easily grow to over 1000 vans in a couple years.

There is definitely enough interest and I've been racking my brain for good places that would be a draw and could handle the load.

Sounds like serious campfire discussion at Syncrofest.

I'd happily get involved volunteering at the ground level with other like minded VW owners to organize such an event. Anyone can PM me if interested in discussing.

Bill

2WD Eurovan Weekender owner here, so take the input for whatever you consider it worth... BUT, if you guys get serious about hosting something larger than any conventional campground can reasonably host, and don't mind the event being on the flat valley floor of Central California, you might take a look at the International Agri-Center. Hosts one of the largest trade shows in the world (World Ag Expo) and also the California Antique Farm Equipment Show, both of which are events where many come and camp for the weekend. It's about as centrally located a place as one can find in California, and they've got a lot of experience handling large events, as well as facilitating "course-building" (for tractor test-rides, tractor pulls, etc.). It's also only about an hour from Sequoia National Park. Might be worth a look. Make sure the event is in fall or spring though -- bloody hot in the middle of summer (100+F degree days are common in July and August).

That suggested, I think size and "places that would be a draw" are likely going to be mostly-conflicting goals. Confused As someone who doesn't feel like I "belong" at an already-crowded Syncro-centric event, but would love to see them as well as a gathering of vans across multiple generations, I do hope someone pulls it off.

Last edited by IdeaNerd on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

I've had numerous requests for Windhields and am trying to bring enough for pre orders and last minute orders as well. If you have asked about one or need one please contact me either through Samba private mail or E mail.
All correspondence on this needs to be off of this Thread.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Ban the 2wd Vans at Syncro events? Reply with quote

This year we crossed the critical point where SycroFest is sold out, for the first time.

The majority of the registered vehicles are not Syncros.

There are some Syncros that wanted to attend, but could not, because the event is sold out.

suggestion for next year:
Imo Syncros should have priority at SyncroFest.

I propose two separate SyncroFest registration schedules.
1. Syncros ONLY, will be allowed to register for SyncroFest for the first period.

2. 2wd will be allowed to register, AFTER the Syncro registration period closes.

I suggest that the 2wd people create their own event(s)

it is natural evolution to have more events, SyncroSolstice is an example of another event that formed as part of the evolution of another Hollister event. SyncroSolstice has also been growing growing exponentially, and also allows 2wd (read the writing on the wall).

each time an event venue reaches full capacity, it is an opportunity for someone to create a new event. Someone means YOU Smile

pick a place, post pics on the internet, and people will come. be warned its a double edged sword. I have been guilty of posting pics of places, that were subsequently overrun, trashed, and closed permanently. Choose locations you publicize, carefully.

Be warned that if you have a Syncro event, 2wd people will want to join, and it will alter the nature of the event, due to the difference in Offroad capability.

There is a large demand for 2wd gatherings, and they will come to be spectators at Syncro events, if they are allowed. I think that needs to change and 2wd people need to get their own event(s)..

camp responsibly, learn to LEAVE NO TRACE
https://lnt.org/learn/seven-principles-overview
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

I agree that Syncros should have priority at Syncro events but anyone who wants to go should just register as early as possible. If you sit on the fence and the event sells out...too bad.
There are already PLENTY of Vanagon/Westy/Bus events that aren't 2WD/4WD-specific so I don't think it's necessary to suggest more need to be created per se, although more events are always welcome.
I think these discussions are valuable but we have to be careful about not appearing to be "Syncro Snobs" as a minority of users of this site would have others believe all Syncro owners are. Wink

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

for people that did not register in time for SyncroFest
here are a couple of alternatives

a gtg in San Diego, tomorrow
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385197

and this one in Moab from Friday, May 19 – Monday, May 22:
http://syncrosolstice.com/product/registration/
Ley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Besides Syncrofest, we should have some sort of small gatherings at Hollister Hills with people that ACTUALLY want to OFFROAD their van on the trails, Syncro or 2WD.

I think Syncrofest as an event lost its true objective and has become more work than fun for some.

It feels like every year, less people hit the trails and everyone just stays in camp out of fear of breaking something or going out alone and getting stuck by themselves.

It would be great to just make a weekend trip out of it and hit some trails. Not only would this serve the purpose of entertainment, but also educational for people that would further want to learn how to drive off-road in their vans.

Its mostly a job of coordinating willing individuals.

I miss the days of celebrating what a Syncro could do, instead of what it looks like.
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

I think I'm with Ley on this issue. Last year I remember seeing many 2WD vans on the trails and quite a few syncros that never left camp. Wasn't there a non syncro in the syncro cup last year or the one before? A younger guy. He would be excluded??? Half joking because I can't think of anybody I've met there that I'd want to exclude..... but how about only those that take their van up to the training area this year can come back next year?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

When I first got into the Vanagon Community, I was quite surprised that an event so obviously aimed at Syncro owners openly welcomed the 2wd crowd.

Because of the growing pains they have at these events, I as a 2wd owner would not be at all offended if I were excluded from attending them.

Because of my chosen drive line equipment, I simply don't meet the minimum qualifications to attend. No biggie to me, it actually makes sense.

IMHO

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Looks like I missed registration as well...really bummer.

So...did anyone buy a ticket who is now not able to attend? If so, I would be willing to buy your ticket. Please message me.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just picked up my Transmission From Ron's Transaxels nearby. Mine was fine, but ground going into 3rd and and just a bit loose. It had about 15K on it from a friend who built it for me.
It now has all new bearings 3rd and 4th gear and oiling plates. I've only put about 10 miles on it but it is nice and tight.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Thank You to all the organizers who put up with me and all the other people thrilled to have a reason to get out of our normal day to day routines.

a brief timeline of this years registration to the first ever Sold Out SyncroFest.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am
Syncrozilla wrote:
It's on folks!

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am
Syncrozilla wrote:
If your on the fence about attending the time to make a decision is running out.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 pm
16CV's wrote:
Looks like registration closed early. ...I just looked and it was SOLD OUT. A buddy of mine who had been sitting on the fence is out of luck

SyncroFest or Bussed!

Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Look like you've put on a little weight Jon :giggle:
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:

Just picked up my Transmission From Ron's Transaxels nearby.

Stacy

Maybe a transmission like this with a drive shaft attached should be required for admission to SYNCROfest

Just a regular guy
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Both of my entries have Transmissions with driveshafts.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
16CV's wrote:

Just picked up my Transmission From Ron's Transaxels nearby.

Stacy

Maybe a transmission like this with a drive shaft attached should be required for admission to SYNCROfest

And maybe just Unimogs at all of the Mogfests? Crickets

Or Jeeps only at Jeep Jamboree?

It comes down to the great people who HAVE OWNED OR CURRENTLY OWN the type of vehicle the event was originally named after.

How about a dark underground group of only Syncro owners whispering quietly about a hush hush event next year?

Or maybe an event called " Syncnofest" haha
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

This 4WD vs. 2WD friction pisses me off!
Has anyone bothered to mention the other axle readers here like myself?
The 3WD's?
NO!!!
My opinion on this subject is in the middle, so don't expect me to choose sides.
I currently own a 2 back wheel 1 front left wheel model and I love it.
But then there are those 2 front wheel 1 back right wheel model owners? Those guys have no right to navigate our American highways! They simply don't fit in, especially on a demanding left turn.

Guessing I'm waisting my time here.
I should probably take my complaints to the Samba TriadFest thread.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Bummer for me, the autotransporter is running late. I received a wonderful offer a few days ago, "fly out with a hammock and we'll put you up". I almost bought the flight. It was cheaper then fuel roundtrip. I wouldn't have to drive around once out there. It sounded to good to be true. All I had to do was sip beverages and do a few dishes. Unfortunately I have a Syncro being shipped in and it will arrive Sat or Sun. I'll be staying in Denver. I wish all of you a great time.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Bummer for me, the autotransporter is running late. I received a wonderful offer a few days ago, "fly out with a hammock and we'll put you up". I almost bought the flight. It was cheaper then fuel roundtrip. I wouldn't have to drive around once out there. It sounded to good to be true. All I had to do was sip beverages and do a few dishes. Unfortunately I have a Syncro being shipped in and it will arrive Sat or Sun. I'll be staying in Denver. I wish all of you a great time.

reminds me... PACK MY HAMMOCK! <-- great idea.

Im flying out tonight from Texas...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:

Okay, but I am more anxiously waiting to see what your having shipped in!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
BavarianWrench wrote:

Okay, but I am more anxiously waiting to see what your having shipped in!

Anybody with knowledge of its history please fill me in.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: