Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2074 For a Split Window????
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

I am considering putting a 2074 in my split window bus. Im looking for something peppy as right now I have a 1600DP that is just to slow for me (I can't hardly get it on the highway fast enough and up to speed on the streets) Do you think this would be a good fit or should I keep looking. Here are the specs:

2074 Motor
Aluminum case
counter weighted CB crank 78x92 stroke
92 Pistons and cylinders mollies
scat rods
044 heads 35 x 40 650 S. Springs titanium retainers
Steve long cam
1.1 rocker arms with good elephant the
chrome Molly flywheel
Malory solid-state distributor
free flow oil system
Steve long lifters
CB deep oil SUMP
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

Which Steve Long cam are you thinking of. There at least 51 different grinds.
Do you plan on a full weight flywheel? Or lightened?
Which heads are you looking at? Stock 040 DP. Or some that have been massaged a bit to help getting things flowing better.
Carbs?
Exhaust?
Ignition?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

The 650 springs say you plan to rev it over 7000rpm. Right?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

I built a 78x92 for a split bus last year. Worked out really good. Idled nice and lugged though town, but still had plenty of power when needed. Easy to tune and got decent mileage.

Here was my combo.
Stock case, line bored and light clerancing
4130 78mm vw crank
5.4 I beams
AA thick wall B's
Tims stage 1 heads
Fk7 cam
AA 1.25 rockers. (1.34 measured)
Light flywheel
Cb offset manifolds and linkage
40mm IDF clones, w/32mm vents
Cb magnaspark kit.

If you are planning to buy a new aluminum case, no reason at all not to built it with a 82mm crank.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

The motor is already built up. I would be buying it as it sits.It does have a lightened flywheel and thinks the cam has around a .500 lift.Aluminum case. Supposed to find out shortly on exact cam. I plan on running dual carbs. I have a set of Kadrons that I might use or can get some Webber's. Was thinking about running a a-1 exhaust. The heads have been massaged a bit for better flow.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

What trans are you running? I perfer a 74 stroke, thiclwall 92 or 90.5 depending on your best available case, stockish heads heavy duty single springs heater boxes, dual webers or clones and a small boring cam. I'm a bus guy. 65 mostly 75 or 80 when I want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

I'm sure it will move the bus along nicely.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

vwoki wrote:
The motor is already built up. I would be buying it as it sits.It does have a lightened flywheel and thinks the cam has around a .500 lift.Aluminum case. Supposed to find out shortly on exact cam. I plan on running dual carbs. I have a set of Kadrons that I might use or can get some Webber's. Was thinking about running a a-1 exhaust. The heads have been massaged a bit for better flow.

How do you know it doesn't have one of these?
richierich wrote:
Anyone have any comments on this clearancing I found on the cam in my just torn down - high quality - 2387 motor? I have more amusing photos to add later depending on what comes back from the guy that built it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

my combo:
Bugpack 78
Mahle 92
AA TW cylinders
SLR 304
SCAT SLR'd lifters
Berg flywheel.
DRD L5 heads
1.25 bugpack rockers
manton PR

calculated HP of 150
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

Keep your flywheel stock weight in a bus a light one will have no effect in a heavy vehicle. Are you getting rid of the reduction boxes? You can put as big an engine as you want in a bus, it's still geared dog low. Ti retainers are good for racing wouldn't run them on the street unless you want to change them every year or so. It sucks when the keepers pull through.

brad
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Are you getting rid of the reduction boxes?
This. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Are you getting rid of the reduction boxes?
This. Cool

Biggest question yet. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2074 For a Split Window???? Reply with quote

RGBs are a waste of a 2 litre imhop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: