Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam clearancing - check this out
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Anyone have any comments on this clearancing I found on the cam in my just torn down - high quality - 2387 motor? I have more amusing photos to add later depending on what comes back from the guy that built it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Don't tease us, show us the pics now.

Clearancing doesn't have to be beautiful to work... But I'm not sure if that's right or not, it looks thin in some places.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

that's scary, why tear down?
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

I understand that vwkirb but I'm more inclined to agree with Jason. In the words of an engine builder that I've had tear it down 'its a ******* disgrace'. There cant be more than 10mm of material in one section of it.

Jason, I've had the motor torn down because it just didn't 'sound' right, seemed to have a slight knock and I wanted piece of mind. I hoped maybe for a freshen up - maybe some bearings etc....what I got is a lot of bad news. Bear in mind I have only put approx 20 miles on the motor. It was a 'second hand' motor so I know that to a degree you take your chances but there's bending the truth and flat out deceiving.

Here is the two of the rods....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Wow, special heat treating of the rod too. Ouch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Your looking at a real deal hot rod there Shocked Laughing
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Yep there's more too. I have asked the vendor for his comments on the findings and he has responded. Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

I bet that rod bearing was too tight. The cam is ugly, SPOOKY, but it might have worked. Tight rod bearings, they don't work for long, they melt.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Case is pretty much junk. Cylinders are pitted. Crank is not what was sold. Nor are the heads. Yesterday was not a great day. Mad
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

What did the engine have as far as parts and who built it? Sorry to hear about your engine, that's a horrible news to find so many thing need to be replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

That's the HIGH QUALITY workman ship you see in a Bernie Bergman or Gex engine. Sorry to see what you got, that's a shame 😰
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Most second hand motors never have the parts people say they do. Sad, but it's been my experience...
Every 1776 has been a 1600, but a mystery trashed 1600 ended up being a 2110, go figure.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Esky - it was sold to me as 2387 with CB crank (he now says he told me he only THOUGHT it was a CB) - it isn't a CB - not sure what it is - photo below
SCAT H beams - they are but one is Blue.
Wiseco pistons - to be fair to him - these are new and are ok.
Tims Stage 2 heads (they aren't)
New barrels (they are trash)
Everything balanced (it isn't)
He says HE didn't clearance the cam and had a guy do it for him.

I do not want to name currently as I want to give the guy a chance to send some money back my way but judging from his first response to my email that will not be happening.

It is most certainly NOT a Gex engine - though it is of a similar level of workmanship evidently Laughing

I know that with second hand you are taking a risk and I would expect on tear down to have a few things that may have needed rectifying but the guy tearing it down says it is THE worst put together motor he has ever seen. It can be rectified of course to the tune of new rods, cylinders, cam etc but its going to cost a little.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Just for grins here's the case

richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

The guy who has torn it down now has it apart completely and is going to let me know what the best route out of this will be.

And Mark - the guy that built the motor is not in either of those places you mention. Don't know where the guy is that clearanced the cam but it does look like it could have been done with a chisel. Like you say - and the guy said to me on his email - it ran ok.....how long it would have been with that cam before it snapped into 6 pieces is anyones guess.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

So did you buy the motor from an individual or a vendor?
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

From an individual yeah. I realise it's a used engine and all but it was sold as quality and priced accordingly
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Just because something looks UGLY does not mean it is junk or done wrong. Not everybody has a lathe & mill in their garage. I have clearance cams with a die grinder and not had them break. I have also hand clearances a case for stroker cranks with a die grinder. I do admit that cam in the picture was ground too much though. What makes you think the case is junk?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Lets see the heads. First time I've seen a stroked motor without clearanced rods.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cam clearancing - check this out Reply with quote

Jason - clearanced rods????

I don't have photos of the heads yet - when I do, I'll post them up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: