Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

Picked up this Harrison awning off eBay a couple of months ago... don't know why I bought it as I have a mint drive away awning for the westy Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A mouse has had a nibble at it but it's really cool!
Not sure of what year it's from but it's just chucked in the shed until I trip over it and sell it Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

bertie-bus wrote:
Picked up this Harrison awning off eBay a couple of months ago... don't know why I bought it as I have a mint drive away awning for the westy Embarassed

A mouse has had a nibble at it but it's really cool!
Not sure of what year it's from but it's just chucked in the shed until I trip over it and sell it Laughing

Thats pretty cool. Looks like it can attach to a vehicle - also a 70's some tent it looks like.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

found this online, posting in sportsmobilers unite as well

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
found this online, posting in sportsmobilers unite as well

Those are big ass tents. Nice score.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

I bought mine this summer. found this on local CL, but the instructions and the tie-in to the tent offered with sportsmobiles was the turn on for me. it has the same tear in the screen as yours, and mine. staked too tight, I think.
bty 1000 bucks is the asking price. Crazy asking price, but it is super clean and complete. still crazy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

I was able to pry this from a buddy's collection. Its a Westfalia Accessory rear tent. Gives you some foot room. Ill display and use it with the hard top 74 Westfalia. I plan on updating the cushion to match the blue plaid.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

nice "backside" tent. I want one of those too
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

I call them "rear enders" I ran one on my DD EZ with matching dual Orange / White side tents and Dormobile roof. The thing looked like a circus.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

there is an official thread about those rear enders
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251791&highlight=rear+tent
Cornishsilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

Heres a couple of mine

A little slack on the driveaway bit on this one

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

party under the big top! damn! you can park the bus in that thing. THAT is a circus tent. And I thought mine sucked to put up
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
party under the big top! damn! you can park the bus in that thing. THAT is a circus tent. And I thought mine sucked to put up

Yeah they don't play in the UK. Some serious home away from home four day festival shit for a family of four. Cool

My man - posting up. Whats you been up to - lurking the tent thread? Laughing

By far one of the more over the top set ups yet. Cool

Go big or go home.

alman72 - yes there are actually a couple of threads for just that tent. For those that want one - look for - rear hatch, back, rear tents.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

My man - posting up. Whats you been up to - lurking the tent thread? Laughing

By far one of the more over the top set ups yet. Cool

Go big or go home.

I'm up to the same thing as you, life.....
I was looking through the gallery today trying to find a photo and I saw your tent so I figures I'd stalk a bit to see what you were doing, and here I am...

That tent day took FOREVER to do. Trying to park two buses alone so the tents line up. Rolling Eyes
I guess I had more free time back then. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cornishsilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Haha Yeah could almost get the bus inside, Only takes 10 mins to put up though, very easy Smile
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

A family friend called the other day and said "my dad's girlfriend has a VW tent sitting in storage and they need to clear out the unit, is that something you would be interested in?"

Um, yea. I would.

Picked this up today to bring home and evaluate. It doesn't smell great right now, but I think it's OK in that it'll clean up alright. There's 2 loops missing from the top and at least 3 of those funky blue plugs that are glued to the bottom that are disconnected. I actually found the missing ones in the tent bag but im not sure how well you could reattach them. There is one guy-line missing and I think there's more steaks than you need.

Those metal stakes that fit the shape of the guy-line hooks - two of them are a little shorter/smaller than the other 6 large ones.

I'll probably offer them a few bucks for it tomorrow.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

Nice score! I got mine from a neighbor under similar circumstances. We moved into the neighborhood and had the van parked out front. All the peeps on the street started coming up to me telling me stories about the van they had back in the day and the great family time they had in it. One mentioned still having the original tent that he had only used twice. I was trembling with excitement having seen them at the show in Irvine earlier that year. I covered well and he let it go for $60. We used it for a year or two while I was waiting to redo the ripped canvas pop top.
Now it is basically a show piece. I found it too bulky to take on trips with the wife, 3 kids and the dog. Only so much room in the bus you know. Now with the Westy Essen trailer, I expect to be bringing it along again. First trip out will be to the Oregon coast in June. I'll put up some pics after.

Just a regular guy
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

That's definitely a best case scenario, neighbor-wise! I scored a folding table saw once but that's about it. Wink

Notchboy, I love seeing that rear end tent because the thing that has which the Amescador does not is the ability to keep the platform in a Westy that has the rear cabinet. The Amescador is awesome, but it's a full-width platform which means that I can't easily slide it inside. I do have an elaborate plan for a thin bed platform made from steel that telescopes to the proper width but still slides neatly under the rear bed cushion in the hatch area. I love the rear tent for not making me fold down the bed and lose the "living room" area Smile

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
That's definitely a best case scenario, neighbor-wise! I scored a folding table saw once but that's about it. Wink

Notchboy, I love seeing that rear end tent because the thing that has which the Amescador does not is the ability to keep the platform in a Westy that has the rear cabinet. The Amescador is awesome, but it's a full-width platform which means that I can't easily slide it inside. I do have an elaborate plan for a thin bed platform made from steel that telescopes to the proper width but still slides neatly under the rear bed cushion in the hatch area. I love the rear tent for not making me fold down the bed and lose the "living room" area Smile

- Doug

Its funny how the engineers actually engineered it Wink It works!

I dont know if I would put any weight on it though other than my feet. Confused Im not a small dude.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

Do those rear tents make a long enough bed back there to sleep without folding the back seat down? Looks like it might still be rather short.

There is a company making a version of them now, except that the hatch is fully open, which means that any rain would not run down off the back, but would be funneled between the hatch and Bus roof. The old version looks like the hatch is not fully open, therefore rain would tend to run off the back.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Side Tent thread Reply with quote

If a person wanted to sleep with the tent on and the seat up - it could be done. But not my big ass. Im to tall and need some spreading around real estate.

The Westfalia one does indeed have the hatch half up and a substantial amount of vinyl and bungee around the opening to keep things tight. The tent itself provides a lot of its strength to keep it in position. Its snapped all around where the skeeto net goes as well as around the board. I just dont like how it connects to the lip of the back of the bus.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 25

Jump to: