Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
kooper271 wrote:
I've watched the BugMe video several times as well. It has been very helpful while rebuilding my engine. Thank you

Nice to hear that... I've gained 40 pounds since then, though!

Note to self: don't make instructional videos.

Too late, you've posted pics of your scrawny ass all over. Wait until that metabolism slows & shows the effects of all those barley pops you enjoy Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I've probably consumer two of those barley pops in the last 5 years... Drinking does nothing for me!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dansuxs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I have been respectfully following this thread for years…Every time Mr. Raby replies to someone, I imagine in my head that he has the voice of Sam Elliott.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Well, we know now he's not drinking "the banquet beer" Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

"Camper Special" seems to be used to refer to a number of things; the camper special engine kits sold by the type 4 store when JR was directly involved, the kits they sell now and the engines he now builds himself. It makes sense to me that someone pursuing their chosen profession, intellectual curiosity and personal goals would end up wanting to use their time to build the best possible product, run their business on their own terms and deal with a clientele that is informed and appreciative of what they are spending their money on. It also makes sense that someone taking potshots from the peanut gallery for many years (myself included) would lose patience with responding to these comments.

My neighbor in Florida spends his money on putting aviation grade engines in fanboats. I think it's cool. I sort of get it. But I don't know shit about fanboats. It would make no sense to call my neighbor or his engine builder an asshole.

My own thing with my bus is to learn as much as I can and become as self sufficient as possible, within my budget and time limits. Getting to a great campsite with my kids, powered by something that I put together on my dining room table does something for me that having JR building one for me could never do.

So my own intention is to behave on this forum in a way that doesn't discourage people from contributing. Basically, I will try not to be a dick.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Jake,

Thank you for the video as well. It gave me the confidence to start a rebuild and mess it up all by myself! Wink

Those videos are treasures to the VW community. Well put together and clearly explained.

If I had the extra cash for your engine services I would. I hope you make a decent living, you deserve it. Not many craftsman like you left in the VW world.

Many regards.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Raby blowing up. It isn't a new thing. He's been around for a long time. Back to the gerry and type2.com days at least.

First it was high compression type 1 hand grenades.

Then waterboxers with high compression.

Then ceramic coatings.

Seems like some cryo stuff was in there.

Then nickies.

Then stroked Type IVs. Probably a few other things I'm forgetting. I'm getting old.

Always drama, lots of drama, at every stop. A genius trying cutting edge stuff who trips occasionally/often or a dude who takes money (now lots of money) from suckers? I don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

wow...and people wonder why he's got an attitude....

jake is a cool cat. I have never bought a thing from jake raby, yet he gave me a few of his 11 herbs and spices when I set out for Subaru conversion greatness.

yes, gave. for zero dollars. I offered to send him money, beer, bullets, hand grenades and hookers. he didn't want anything. well, he did....respect. and someone with a fucking brain between their ears I am sure helped.

I don't understand why people dislike him. he want's it done right? Is that the issue? or should he give his time away "just because"? he has helped so many in ways most would never understand....yet he still gets shit on.

some of you may think I am a "kool aid" drinker and just blowing jake for the simple fact he helped me out. that isn't the case at all....jake has done more for you T4 guys than any other individual....EVER.

sorry if some can't justify the cost of what he does, but some day you may realize you will never have what he can provide "cheaper" a clone is just that...if you don't like what he's selling, there is no need to bash him. if you would pull your head out of your ass and get to know jake, he's a pretty good guy that will go to the ends of the earth to help you....IF you deserve it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Think what you want. Say what you want. I'll respect either of the opinions from those who love me, or hate me... those are the two groups, and there's no one in between.

Just remember, best friend or worst enemy. That's my only two groups.

For the last decade I have taken the VW industry with a grain of salt. I have continued to build the best products I can for those who appreciate them. The other group that makes up the opposition is the group that I feel are insignificant. I don't waste my time with them, or their smart assed comments.

I've seen lots of people and businesses come and go over that last 27 years. Lots that went did so because of the way they did business. I have remained the same, and today I do what I want, when I want, and for the people that want it, as much as I want to build it. Without playing the political games with magazine people, or event organizers and etc I have been able to stay backlogged without any advertisements in the last 4 years at all. I haven't updated the website in almost 6 years, other than to remove content about engines I no longer want to build.

How? Because the people who appreciate what I create tell their friends, who do business with us, are impressed, then tell their friends about us. It's the most old school approach to business, and one that takes character to achieve.

That said, though the way I do business always stays the same, I have evolved the program for the modern world and we keep making it better.

I didn't build the Camper Special engine for 3 years since the last one was built. That one just turned over 40K trouble free miles and the owner is happy that the oil sample came back perfect.

The results of the Camper Special resulted in people emailing about one 2-3 times per week. I got sick of saying no, and having to explain myself. I came up with the Nickies version of the CS, and called it the Camper Special Plus. I'll build you one of these as long as you have 25k to spend, aren't a dick, and you pass my straight talk interrogation. It's not about being elite, it's about making sure I don't deal with a demanding jerk that thinks money is everything. I treat these buyers the exact same way as I do the owner of a 2017 Porsche that wants my engine to replace his.... exact same way. The money does not mater, and I turn away more work than I accept. I did this when I was a broke ass New entrepreneur driving a 62 15 window bus with no back window and a bad generator. Then I couldn't afford to deal with a jerk. I have built this business from that point with dedication, and integrity. I have done this with no loans, and I owe no one, anything. Perhaps that's the part people dislike, as jealousy is a bit more than evil.

I sold the Type 4 Store almost 5 years ago because I hated dealing with the retail public. Today I offer the Camper Special Plus, I'll build no more than two of them per year and it cost as much as my 356 Porsche conversion engine. Today it all costs the same, no matter what engine it is I build, or what it goes into.

There's my 2 cents. Love me. Hate me. You'll never change me. I'll never give a damn about what you think, or why you think it. Don't like that? Tell me to my face. You'll never forget my response. I promise.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Think what you want. Say what you want. I'll respect either of the opinions from those who love me, or hate me... those are the two groups, and there's no one in between.

Just remember, best friend or worst enemy. That's my only two groups.

For the last decade I have taken the VW industry with a grain of salt. I have continued to build the best products I can for those who appreciate them. The other group that makes up the opposition is the group that I feel are insignificant. I don't waste my time with them, or their smart assed comments.

I've seen lots of people and businesses come and go over that last 27 years. Lots that went did so because of the way they did business. I have remained the same, and today I do what I want, when I want, and for the people that want it, as much as I want to build it. Without playing the political games with magazine people, or event organizers and etc I have been able to stay backlogged without any advertisements in the last 4 years at all. I haven't updated the website in almost 6 years, other than to remove content about engines I no longer want to build.

How? Because the people who appreciate what I create tell their friends, who do business with us, are impressed, then tell their friends about us. It's the most old school approach to business, and one that takes character to achieve.

That said, though the way I do business always stays the same, I have evolved the program for the modern world and we keep making it better.

I didn't build the Camper Special engine for 3 years since the last one was built. That one just turned over 40K trouble free miles and the owner is happy that the oil sample came back perfect.

The results of the Camper Special resulted in people emailing about one 2-3 times per week. I got sick of saying no, and having to explain myself. I came up with the Nickies version of the CS, and called it the Camper Special Plus. I'll build you one of these as long as you have 25k to spend, aren't a dick, and you pass my straight talk interrogation. It's not about being elite, it's about making sure I don't deal with a demanding jerk that thinks money is everything. I treat these buyers the exact same way as I do the owner of a 2017 Porsche that wants my engine to replace his.... exact same way. The money does not mater, and I turn away more work than I accept. I did this when I was a broke ass New entrepreneur driving a 62 15 window bus with no back window and a bad generator. Then I couldn't afford to deal with a jerk. I have built this business from that point with dedication, and integrity. I have done this with no loans, and I owe no one, anything. Perhaps that's the part people dislike, as jealousy is a bit more than evil.

I sold the Type 4 Store almost 5 years ago because I hated dealing with the retail public. Today I offer the Camper Special Plus, I'll build no more than two of them per year and it cost as much as my 356 Porsche conversion engine. Today it all costs the same, no matter what engine it is I build, or what it goes into.

There's my 2 cents. Love me. Hate me. You'll never change me. I'll never give a damn about what you think, or why you think it. Don't like that? Tell me to my face. You'll never forget my response. I promise.

Jake some of the trolling you get from people might actually be funny......if it were not for the sad fact of how much positive information and hard work you have injected into the industry in general and type 4 engines in specific.

Earlier today in a PM I got the question of what I think of Jake Raby and some of this CS pro and con issue.

I wrote a page...explaining about the years and zillions of words of conversation regarding all aspects of type 4 development and upgrade.....pistons, cylinders, cooling systems and shrouds, head and cam design, pushrod technology, engine balance, bearing technology, ignition upgrades, windage trays and oil control, exhaust system technology, cylinder heads and valves and rocker shaft technology, balancing the package/combo with gearing and tires size......and a whole huge pile of technique during assembly........all over in the STF and later on your forums and on some of the 914 forums.

I went on a bit to try to explain a little of the timeline of the CS development which you showed and explained quite a bit of while it was happening......and that the initial results while excellent, were expensive because of the huge amount of hand labor required.....the custom camshafts, camshaft bearings, pushrods and a slew of knowhow required to assemble them.
It required this.....because you offered the complete package with a warranty. Something you could not get in a type 4 engine....for a bus....with better than stock performance....from anyone anywhere at the time.

It didnt take long for the assholes and hecklers to starting complaining that in their mind.....nothing ACVW should cost that much. So to cut the price....you started offering complete kits......and when you could not get the average bus owner to invest in either the toolw, diligence.....or exhaust required to make the assembled kit reliable and warrantable.....you stopped offering the kits. I would have done the same. Too much risk to reputation and warrantability.

And then there were the people who were pissed simply because they felt that you should make your products cheap as a service to the "community". These are usually the same people who every couple of months crack open a whining thread about "why wont manufacturers step up and make us some cheap quality reproduction parts".....all the while not willing to invest in quality parts unless they fit a Walmart budget.

You have always answered the phone, you make great parts and are a stand up guy. I was sorry to see the BS that drove you out of the public forums. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
And then there were the people who were pissed simply because they felt that you should make your products cheap as a service to the "community". These are usually the same people who every couple of months crack open a whining thread about "why wont manufacturers step up and make us some cheap quality reproduction parts".....all the while not willing to invest in quality parts unless they fit a Walmart budget.

^^^^well said.

I will just never understand why the vw "hobby" should be cheap....where you have rc cars, dirtbikes, quads etc and those are far from cheap...with zero return on the investment when it comes time to cash out....yet people pour 1000's of dollars into them. I have said it before, and I will say it again....I am sorry your "hobby" is my profession...it doesn't mean I should work for free.

that goes the same with woodworking, machinists, welders etc etc...I will never understand why a craftsman should work for free because it's a "hobby"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I may have been one of the last people to buy a fully assembled and dyno tuned Camper Special from Jake...and there's not a day of bus driving that I've regretted the decision. You see, I'm somewhat new to buses...well, 4 years new now, but I've been wrenching on aircooled VWs for the past 25 years. When we bought our '75 bus from the original owners, friends of our family, not only did I want it to be a vehicle for family bonding but we also wanted to do right by the sellers, who gave us a sweetheart deal.

Yes, I could have learned everything specific to my year, combed through the stack of receipts that came with the vehicle, and tried to get the replaced-at-some-point, maybe twice-rebuilt prior engine running well. But how long would that have taken me?

I did my research, and after some discussion my wife consented to the major purchase, which is when I called Jake. From the very first call, whether with Jake or a member of his team, it feels like he was "on call". He'd always answer emails or calls same-day, even on weekends or Sundays (when I never expected to receive a response). I didn't know '75 exhaust ports or tin from '74 stuff, and Jake helped me find and purchase all the right tin for the new engine.

His contract says there's no warranty, but I've received much worse service from companies with which I did have a warranty. Jake sent me progress photos, video of the engine on the dyno, and managed to deliver the engine a day before the warmest December day in VA we'd had to that point...and I worked 14 hours straight to install both my Rancho tranny and the CS (only to have the temps drop to 15 degrees the next day).

And the service didn't end with delivery...he and I have chatted many times about the right additional parts to mate with the CS, status checks at regular intervals and most recently on my 40K engine oil analysis from Wix/ALS.

I'm just saying this because Skills and others have talked about all the knowledge Jakes has dropped on the community for free...and those guys know how to apply that serious insight...but I was on the other side of the spectrum, an eager learner trying to get my Westy on the road and reliable so my family could enjoy it before our daughters grow up and set their sights on things other than family camping. And from that perspective my experience with Jake and his team was stellar...he was never condescending and always helpful.

Just my $0.02...

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

^^^^well said.

I will just never understand why the vw "hobby" should be cheap....where you have rc cars, dirtbikes, quads etc and those are far from cheap...with zero return on the investment when it comes time to cash out....yet people pour 1000's of dollars into them. I have said it before, and I will say it again....I am sorry your "hobby" is my profession...it doesn't mean I should work for free.

that goes the same with woodworking, machinists, welders etc etc...I will never understand why a craftsman should work for free because it's a "hobby"

Haha, I have been in constuction for 30 years and still people want me to work free or damn near. My friends who know my work pay me and are happy that I find time to due their work! I don't work on other people's cars anymore other than at a local get together where we BS, and check out others problems.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

^^^^well said.

Haha, I have been in constuction for 30 years and still people want me to work free or damn near. My friends who know my work pay me and are happy that I find time to due their work! I don't work on other people's cars anymore other than at a local get together where we BS, and check out others problems.

C'mon man...you two know what thats all about...right? Its 2017....its been 100 years since the glorious revolution.....if someone wants something...they "NEED" that something....and you and everyoneelse must all do your part to provide it to them...... Laughing

Don't be so selfish.....its about being nice to people......"comrade".... Cool Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry...couldn't resist! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Not to mention I spent the better part of the morning with Skills and came away smarter because of it....

Personally I would go with the Subaru conversion...it will happen someday..hopefully sooner than later...maybe when I'm flying something with more than 80 seats...

Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

^^^^well said.

C'mon man...you two know what thats all about...right? Its 2017....its been 100 years since the glorious revolution.....if someone wants something...they "NEED" that something....and you and everyoneelse must all do your part to provide it to them...... Laughing

Don't be so selfish.....its about being nice to people......"comrade".... Cool Laughing

Sorry...couldn't resist! Ray

And.....there we have the classic Bay forum censorship......well...gotta go! Wink
Ray
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Quote:
Then waterboxers with high compression.

Wait. JR did these? Who the. What the. Where the.
I missed that part. Daym.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge Jake never wasted his time with water pampers. VW did not either for very long. He may have derived some of his technology from the last type 4 heads that VW made and got wrong. At least he had the balls to improve on something VW and Porsche opted out of. I am just glad I had the insight to learn from him and stockpile parts that are of German decent. Very few people on this board have ever heard of Johnson lifters. Very few have ever seen the ceramic lifters that were made for the type 4 engine. Their production was short due to the cheap fuck VW community. Jake at one time was working with someone to develop tool steel lifters.....that would rival Johnsons. Developed an exhaust for the type 4 with Tiger that was killer quality and a perfect complement to his CS. Once again the cheap fucks did not buy them. So in a nut shell all ya all that want quality parts for the type 4 engine are shit outa luck. If I had a beautiful 100,000 Porsche that had a defective transmission and a sub par engine and I heard about a guy who could make my 911 or 930 whole again and better then original....why the fuck would I waste my time with a type 4 engine unless I was getting paid in full ahead a time? Good luck finding guidance junior....
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
To the best of my knowledge Jake never wasted his time with water pampers. VW did not either for very long. He may have derived some of his technology from the last type 4 heads that VW made and got wrong. At least he had the balls to improve on something VW and Porsche opted out of. I am just glad I had the insight to learn from him and stockpile parts that are of German decent. Very few people on this board have ever heard of Johnson lifters. Very few have ever seen the ceramic lifters that were made for the type 4 engine. Their production was short due to the cheap fuck VW community. Jake at one time was working with someone to develop tool steel lifters.....that would rival Johnsons. Developed an exhaust for the type 4 with Tiger that was killer quality and a perfect complement to his CS. Once again the cheap fucks did not buy them. So in a nut shell all ya all that want quality parts for the type 4 engine are shit outa luck. If I had a beautiful 100,000 Porsche that had a defective transmission and a sub par engine and I heard about a guy who could make my 911 or 930 whole again and better then original....why the fuck would I waste my time with a type 4 engine unless I was getting paid in full ahead a time? Good luck finding guidance junior....

Yes......there was wo much work and innovation be in the early 2000's done by Jake......and he published and posted so much of it.......I cannot believe how many people who are the first to tell everyone getting into VW's in general and type 4 in specific......to read and research......seem to have no idea of what he did.

Yes.....based upon a lot of his information I bought and stashed some important parts as well. Ray
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Very few people on this board have ever heard of Johnson lifters. Very few have ever seen the ceramic lifters that were made for the type 4 engine. Their production was short due to the cheap fuck VW community. .

I bought a set of these ceramic lifters but I thought their production was stopped due to the materials being labeled "critical for the war effort". I didn't build my racing engine so I sold them to a racer Jake knew wanted a set.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: