Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntrstlarOvrdrve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

I dug up an old thread where Glenn said he gave up trying to find a match for the paint about 5 years back..but has anyone found a "close enough" match? It doesn't have to be dead nuts accurate, I just want to freshen mine up as most of the original paint has since flaked off.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

PM Glenn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

As far as I know - No but I found this older post with one that looks nice but not 100% correct as it's plain paint and not a "hammer tone":
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4668834#4668834
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IntrstlarOvrdrve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks! I hadn't found that thread in my search. I did some more digging last night, I know this isn't really correct either (it's just as correct as the blue on the dist you posted!) but at least it's hammertone. I might give it a shot.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/HAM-41150.html?gclid=CKG60sic0dMCFRc9gQodXI8AUA#.WQh95Wd1vIU

And if all else fails, what black paint is everyone painting their distributors in? Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

NOS

BTW, they were black 019s that were complete and then painted over including the hardware.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IntrstlarOvrdrve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks, Glenn! I'd known there were just painted over, in fact mine is about half black again. Laughing

Like I said, if all else fails I'll just paint it back to black. I just wanted to clean it up a little and thought it would be cool blue again. What are you using to paint them black?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

IntrstlarOvrdrve wrote:
Thanks, Glenn! I'd known there were just painted over, in fact mine is about half black again. Laughing

Like I said, if all else fails I'll just paint it back to black. I just wanted to clean it up a little and thought it would be cool blue again. What are you using to paint them black?

I use a satin black finish.

Left is NOS and right is restored.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

The original black paint was notoriously thin.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, I don't all that much care for the original screamer blue paint, overspray and sloppy. The black looks good, but the "over restored" one in that thread linked looks great.

On most of the 019 distributors I've tore down, they were mostly the same tone, but one had a bit of a teal tint, more than the usual blue. I personally like the black, and use rustoleum 500 degree engine paint, since it holds up very well. If you use it, do the semi-gloss and throw it in the oven (or hotbox if you have one) for an hour or so at 250 degrees to knock down the shine and cure the paint, it will be stronger faster that way.

It looks less gloss in person, but works great if you go this route...

This is the paint I use-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darynoval1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this!
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

would this match the original screamer? Ive bought it at the local big box hardware store for another project.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for blue Bosch Screamer distributor? Reply with quote

Shadd wrote:
would this match the original screamer? Ive bought it at the local big box hardware store for another project.

No, it doesn't.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: