Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
cv66seabear wrote:
I literally ordered every part for the brakes, drums pads, springs, etc. I know it's overkill but I thought it might be best just to totally rebuild them, plus it never hurts to learn something new!

Thanks again,
Kent

Excellent logic and fantastic reasoning!
It must have something to do with the name. Laughing

But BusDaddy is right.... Keep all your old parts to make sure the new ones are gonna work. Did you get brake hoses too? They're simple enough to replace and should be done regularly.

You got that right! I'll be looking at everything. Bought the brake parts at JBugs, so I hope the fit is right.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
beatles4 wrote:
Hey guys, I have taken apart my axles and have removed the cv joints to repack and install new boots but I ran into a snag. The snap rings clips that are on the end of the axles that prevent the cv joint from sliding off too far were damaged in the removal process. From inspecting the axle it looks like either an e clip or a snap ring would work best. Any idea what size I would need or what other people usually do?

My idea was something that looks like this but I have no idea what the correct size would be.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-933-940?sei...hgoda9ULHQ

Buy yourself a pair of duckbill snap ring pliers so you don't have to fight so hard getting the snap rings on and off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is precisely what I used. Well, actually I used a Knipex 90 degree bent snap ring plier but the ends of the clip kept slipping off of the plier.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
beatles4 wrote:
Hey guys, I have taken apart my axles and have removed the cv joints to repack and install new boots but I ran into a snag. The snap rings clips that are on the end of the axles that prevent the cv joint from sliding off too far were damaged in the removal process. From inspecting the axle it looks like either an e clip or a snap ring would work best. Any idea what size I would need or what other people usually do?

My idea was something that looks like this but I have no idea what the correct size would be.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-933-940?sei...hgoda9ULHQ

Buy yourself a pair of duckbill snap ring pliers so you don't have to fight so hard getting the snap rings on and off.

That is precisely what I used. Well, actually I used a Knipex 90 degree bent snap ring plier but the ends of the clip kept slipping off of the plier.

Duckbill pliers are flat on the ends with a small indent in each bill to solidly hold onto the ends of the external retaining ring. Very useful tool.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wear safety glasses,they are Snap rings.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Flores726
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys. So I'm new to this whole VW scene. I have a fortin shifter but it only goes into shift pattern but no reverse. Could I be able to use this on my 74 bug?
Thanks
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Flores726 wrote:
Hey guys. So I'm new to this whole VW scene. I have a fortin shifter but it only goes into shift pattern but no reverse. Could I be able to use this on my 74 bug?
Thanks
\
are you pushing down to get it into reverse? and if you are new, do you know that reverse is not like other shift patterns? it is on the left side of the H, and down.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The screws that hold the turn signal housing together seem to have been lost. Im on my way to the hardware store now to see what I can find. Any clue as to what size I should be looking for?

Also the itty bitty screws that attach the turn signal lever to the housing is missing one screw on each side.

Thanks

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
jonasbegood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If you have a 30 amp generator, how much amps can you safely pull from it?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
The screws that hold the turn signal housing together seem to have been lost. Im on my way to the hardware store now to see what I can find. Any clue as to what size I should be looking for?

Also the itty bitty screws that attach the turn signal lever to the housing is missing one screw on each side.

Thanks

turn signals are different thru the years. whatchagot?
Flores726
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Flores726 wrote:
Thanks
\
are you pushing down to get it into reverse? and if you are new, do you know that reverse is not like other shift patterns? it is on the left side of the H, and down.

If I push down it's solid and doesn't budge. Yes I've drivin a VW before and I am familiar with the shift pattern. Lol.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:

Thanks

It's for a '73. I ended up buying a pkg of each #6-32x3/4, #8-32x3/4 and #6-32x1/2.

Thank you Alman72

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
alman72 wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:

Thanks

It's for a '73. I ended up buying a pkg of each #6-32x3/4, #8-32x3/4 and #6-32x1/2.

Thank you Alman72

But all the fasteners on a VW are metric, none of those will work.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

they may work if installed with anger. I do not recommend installing anything angry
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Arrrgh!

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

found a cold start valve in my stash. 022 906 171 A
google says for a 914 1.7? only one hit, so not sure, so here I am. any chance of interchange on a transporter? 1979? other?

edit-this pic from 914 world ebay link, not mine, but mine is the same
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

itll work just fine

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What would be the optimal compression ratio for a Type 4 2.0 engine using the camper special kit from the type4store on a 72 camper bus loaded with the furniture. Preferably a weekend driver / sometimes daily.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Another day, another stupid question.

I'm adding a second battery to help ensure I don't drain my starting battery. 1979 Campmobile.
I have a few questions:
1. The stock alternator produces about 70amps, do I need to/or even can I change to a higher output alternator? Is 70a enough to charge both batteries?

2. When plugged into shore power, is the main battery being charged, and therefore the aux battery would be too, or is shore power going straight to the circuit breaker and then to the outlets (one big extension cord)?

3. If the circuit breaker/shore power is not already linked to the battery, can I link the shorepower to with the Bluesea ACR I'll be using, to help charge batteries?

4. What do you guys use to put a kayak on the top of the poptop?

As always, thanks for your help!
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Finally found the owner of this bay! But, Ive never dealt with a Riviera and not sure what this plate is. Can you decode this like the M-Plate? Ill post the M-Plate as soon as I can but the door was jammed and there is too much stuff in the way to get to the plate. So I got the VIN plate and this one.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

79 fi bus sat along time before I got it. can the fuel pump be cleaned? gasket set somewhere? as I am not a huge purest, is there a suggested aftermarket pump? thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 321 of 515

Jump to: