Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What carb is this?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: What carb is this? Reply with quote

This is on a Thing I'm going to check out this evening (if it doesn't get sold out from under me first!)

I can't find any pictures of any VW carb that has the fuel cutoff solenoid terminal on the rear like this. It doesn't look like any of the applicable Solex's. Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's a piersburg carb.

But that's a guess. I think they were replacements but not 100% sure.

anybody else have any info here?
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

Just talked to the seller, and he looked at it and said it was a "Warner". I'm assuming that either he misread, or I misheard, and it's actually a Weber. But it still doesn't match up with any pictures I can find.

He did say it was an "option", but given that the car is an older resto (professionally repainted, engine rebuilt, etc.) I can only assume it was replaced during the engine rebuild. As far as I know, there were no factory or dealer carb "options" for VW in 1974.

So ... probably a Weber. But which one?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

here is the same carb with a manual choke . I sold quite a few of these when I had my store over 20 years ago they was a pretty good little carb . The box said Weber here are a few pictures . you can see the manual jet where the other one has a electric jet you can see the W stamped in the front and the VW Audi on the tag

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

Yup, that's the one! So it's a Weber version of the 30 PICT. I got a closer look at this one, and it looks to be Brazilian - I didn't know Weber made anything in Brazil, but who knows?

On this Thing, it's paired with some sort of SVDA. Assuming that everything is working, is there any reason to consider switching to a different carb, if I do buy it?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

deafen wrote:
Yup, that's the one! So it's a Weber version of the 30 PICT. I got a closer look at this one, and it looks to be Brazilian - I didn't know Weber made anything in Brazil, but who knows?

On this Thing, it's paired with some sort of SVDA. Assuming that everything is working, is there any reason to consider switching to a different carb, if I do buy it?
if it works ok use it . It was a good little carb the one I have runs real good on a single port engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What carb is this? Reply with quote

cool, never seen one of those.

now that I've seen a close up, I can just make out the W in the first pic.

neat!

I 2nd what Citroen says, if it works run it!

and I learned something too. [Thanks Citroen]

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: