Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus rims
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? No One?

I could really use some advice. I'm running General Grabbers AT2's at the moment and I have a trip coming up with no spare tires or rims and cash is tight, please will someone answer my question, give an opinion? anything? Is this Thing on?

I'd like to strap two spares to the roof (which happen to be on stock 14" Bus rims from a 72 Bay Window Bus). Am I correct in understanding they will work on rear? Will they even have a chance in front considering i'm using 4 lug to 5 lug wheel adapters (super beetle front brakes mod) which widens my stance about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch?

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
Chris in Santa Cruz, CA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that I have four 15" wheels on my 1972 and they do not have the four slots in them and I'm trying hard to find two more and not having much luck. I have no spare right now. If I could find two more with the same offset but with the slots for spares thats ok too.

previous: 1965 1500 Variant S (first car), 1976 Westfalia, 1978 Bus, 1982 Vanagon
groop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 15" rims all the way around on my '74. Yes, they rub, but only if the steering wheel is all the way cranked- not something I would do for ordinary driving.

No idea what type of vehicle they were on originally, but they're factory VW for sure.

My spare is a 14". Lets' hope I never need it
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to know for certain, is to bolt 'em on and go for a drive. Seems to me that the offset of the spacer should negate the interference on the inboard side, however exacerbate clearance (lack there of) at the fender lip. I have run wide five 14" bus wheels on my thing...briefly (one week), they ALMOST fit.
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

I wanted to post a visual, I recently bought a rim under the impression that it was a early VW transporter/Kombi Rim, to my surprise once it arrived, it was far from identical, yet very similar perhaps you can verify what I've come to find out.

Both are 15" the wider rim came off of a 1960 Kombi. The thinner rim came from a seller on TheSamba. The design is the same 4 Slot rim I initially thought this was specific to the Kombi. Once the Rim showed up I sanded down to the identifying spots, it apears that the thinner rim was made in '72. And also has a prefix of KH 72 also the Rim size reads; 4J x 15. Any verification would be greatly appriciated. Also if anyone is interested please PM me, thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit*

Okay, after dogging and digging and digging I'm going to leave this here to my understanding this is a repoduction VW rim made by Kelsey Hayes. I believe it was intended to replace stock Bus & Thing rims as noted. I think this is also why its appearance is simular yet different over all, knowledge is power and now we know.

-Eddie
Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

I have a bus rim I bought for a spare. Never had a tire put on it, though!

I can confirm that it does interfere with the spindle. I may still use it as a spare until I track down a Thing rim. If I needed to, I could move a rear tire to the front, and install the spare on the rear.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Dave just to clear up the misunderstanding an early Bus rim was used as an early thing rim. They're one in the same. The one I had mentioned above is different but the same* it was made here in the US as an aftermarket option which is why it is a tad different when it comes to width, depth, and weight. Wink
Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Head is swimming after reading the threads. Was really planning on running 14" bus rims on my 74 Thing with 27x8.50r14 which would also allow me to standardize the fleet and primarily bc I already HAVE them.

It appears it will rub. Will a spacer fix this or will the spacer cause more problems (hitting somewhere else or something)? I know that some dont like spacers and point out they aren't as strong.

And does lifting the Thing fix the interference on the front? Or do bus rims still hit the control arms?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Bus 15" rims are about 8mm deeper back space then Thing 14", 14" bus more yet, T3 15" rims are very close to Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278016
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Bus 15" rims are about 8mm deeper back space then Thing 14", 14" bus more yet, T3 15" rims are very close to Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278016

Any idea how much of a spacer I'd have to run to put 14" Bus rims on front?

Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Well at least 8mm maybe 12 at most, (1/2") best to try it, you quoted my answer.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

You would have to add studs/nuts if you add spacers, stock lug bolts would not work anymore
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Head is swimming after reading the threads. Was really planning on running 14" bus rims on my 74 Thing with 27x8.50r14 which would also allow me to standardize the fleet and primarily bc I already HAVE them.

It appears it will rub. Will a spacer fix this or will the spacer cause more problems (hitting somewhere else or something)? I know that some dont like spacers and point out they aren't as strong.

And does lifting the Thing fix the interference on the front? Or do bus rims still hit the control arms?

I’m not sure if lifting will allow you to use a bus 14 rim on the front. But when I bought my Thing it had Beetle spindles which lowered it 3” inches. Not my taste, so I put in correct Thing parts, when I was done I noticed a loud rubbing sound. Found out the PO had put 14” bus rims on. Long story short, using beetle spindles will allow you to use bus rims. Not sure why you’d want to, but to each their own.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Well here's my two cents worth..I had s 70 Hi roof van that had a engine fire and 4 almost new tires.. well one by one I put them all on my 73 thing and almost wore them out..For years finally switched to front disk brakes so I switched to 15" bug tires..on front ,no problem so I guess ignorance is bliss..I never noticed that the wheel were rubbing but I never balanced the wheels..When u get front disks u need 15" wheels ,my spare is a bug 15" and I still have those 14" bus rims in back and they don't rub ,I have a couple of extra thing wheels if anybody needs them..cheap.
Bill in Puerto Rico till thle crisis is over then back to VT
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Well I discovered Golf/Jettss use the same size lugbolts 12mm but they are a lot longer...so that might help if you go the spacer route. I just ended up with 2 95's 1 golf,cabro & 1jetta..so now I am a part-time water pumper guy(the) Bill again
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Well at least 8mm maybe 12 at most, (1/2") best to try it, you quoted my answer.

Yeah... math isn't my thing. I apologize. So I was thinking the bus rim is 1/2 (12mm?) wider, plus 8mm?

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

5 bolt 15 rims are all the same width, 15 bus rims set closer to the inside of car, (more back space) as do 14 bus rims but 14s are 1/2 wider. both sets of bus rims moves tire closer to spindles,wheel wells and spring plates in the rear, and may rub. 15 in. T3 rims are almost the same offset, (back space) as thing 14 rims. Bus rims have more back space because they have reduction gear box's as did early Things. They all should work but depending on tire size may rub
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Well I have 15" rims on my thing in front and they are from a early bug..I thought bus rims 15""were wider but it's been a while since I had a bus w stock 15 rims maybe back in the 70's and you know what they say If you remember the 60's or 70's you weren't really there.. I actually had a bus with stock 16" rims..I think it was a barn door bus... Bill still stuck in the islands of the Caribbean
Thanks see you soon (the states)
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rims Reply with quote

Question? Has anybody tried to reverse the rims in the back of a thing? We used to do that all the time on bugs back in the day .I saw a picture of one (bug) on the samba recently and would like to know if anyone else has tried this. And if so which rims would you use.. I tried to do that last fall w one of my 14" bus rims but It wouldn't line up due to the front lip. I don't want to break off the hubcap clips to find out.. Thanks again Bill..still on the island(PR)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: