Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rmh60bug Volksrod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Been busy with work & garage upgrade ! As you can see in the pic a lot going on ! A proud display of the boys & my projects LOL. Doing new wiring, lights, insulation, wall sheating, ceiling, workbenches the whole dang garage will be new ! My Wife is AWESOME !!!! Be back to the Bug soon, working in plush conditions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those with a sharp eye, yes the bikes are a 70 XLCH Sportster, 76 CB200 & a 83 Virago 920 ( bobbed ). Harley is mine, boys own the yamaha & honda.

Didn't quit on the Bug, just have the chance to get my garage done !
Slow & Steady boys
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Don't give up on me guys ! I have parts ready, ideas in my head, swap meets coming up, and interior all planned out ! Just need to get this garage done ! But once it's done I will have a nice place to work.
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

All the big stuff is done ! Workbench is coming around, old quality power tools acquired, new tool box nestled in. Volksrod & Bikes are patiently waiting ! Garage is taking longer than I hoped. Thank goodness I have boys that are gearheads, they have been huge help.
Slow & Steady is the key
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:
Stuck on rear bumper ideas. Don't really want to use a baja cage style. Would rather use a old bug bumper. Not sure if coming off the rear engine mount only will be strong enough ( vibration mainly ) Really just cosmetic bumper anyways holding my license plate. PA laws say I need one !

Any input is welcome ! Can't believe this has over 7K views !

PA law says you have to have a hood over the engine (or a Baja cage) and fenders too (unless it is registered as a hotrod and this wouldn't fit the criteria PA states for doing so.) I have my PA inspection license.

I personally wouldn't worry about the bumpers or fenders at all and I won't when I finally build my volksrod. The cops around here don't even seem to notice hotrods, classic cars or my lowered bug.

Hell, if you really want bumpers, nerf bars or "T" bars are technically a bumper.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Keith, this site has been great for help !
Leaning towards the Baja cage style at this point. Mainly because I will not be running fenders ! Give the police less to ding me on, if and when I get pulled over.
I mocked up some "removable" fenders, need to finish them at some point. Seems to be the same in my neck of the woods with police, if your driving like a idiot that gets their attention.
The laws for hot rod, classic, antique for PA are so backwards. Figure I will just roll the dice and run the car. If I have to out fenders on it so be it. Luckily I have a "Hot Rod" shop that will "overlook" cosmetic issues for inspection. His famous line, " It wasn't like that when I inspected it "
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Need to get wiring harness & interior ordered. Any input is welcome to steer me in the right direction.
Going with Rebel Wire VW kit for harness. They look like a good quality product. Everything I read about these guys is good.
Interior....( wife and I made a deal, outside ratty, inside nice ) No backseat, decking the rear. Who makes a decent quality seat cover, door panels, armrests, carpet for a bug ? Don't want to break the bank, but don't want garbage. Looked at Jbugs, TMI, Aircooled, Sew Fine, MidAmerica. Looked at reviews here, but most are "stock" bugs. Let me know what your preference, or your own experience is.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Finally ! Garage is done, only heat left to do. Ground is froze, no gasline yet. But still way more room & light, tools easily accessed, and dedicated benches. My Wife is a keeper !

Best part, back to work on the Bug !
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

First order of business FENDERS..... Thanks PA DOT. Have to have these for inspection. The are removable ( after inspection ) I want a open wheel Volksrod.
Attaching to bearing cap bolts, ran longer ones to stick out of backing plate.

Made up these as the main struts for fenders.

Mock up of fenders, and attaching method. Left the tubing long for now. Cut once measure twice. Will use my brake line edging once the are done. Make them look a little better & no sharp edges.

Any input is welcome. 200 brains are better than one !
Slow & Steady is the key
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:
First order of business FENDERS..... Thanks PA DOT. Have to have these for inspection. The are removable ( after inspection ) I want a open wheel Volksrod.
Attaching to bearing cap bolts, ran longer ones to stick out of backing plate.

Made up these as the main struts for fenders.

Mock up of fenders, and attaching method. Left the tubing long for now. Cut once measure twice. Will use my brake line edging once the are done. Make them look a little better & no sharp edges.

Any input is welcome. 200 brains are better than one !

MAN That is some BEAUTIFUL fab work. I know it's a little late now, but I think I would have started with a pair of these, though:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649345_200649345

I'm definitely paying attention to your build. I'm building a rat rod but starting with a Super Beetle. Plan to run the exact same exhaust but without any fenders (NC doesn't require them)
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and encouragment Coffee Freak !
I did check out a lot of trailer & bike fenders. Even took the back tire into a bike shop & trailer parts place ! The width of the back tire was the issue, I figure if I have to widen them to fit I will just build all 4. That way they match. See how it goes !
On a side note over 10000 views blows my mind ! Thanks Samba Folks
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

One fender done ! May do some other struts for vibration. See how the act going down the road. The " garage wiggle " test seems like they will do OK.

All that's left to do is brake line edging. Lots of work just for PA DOT to stay off my butt.
Not bad for a 55 gal drum !
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Finished off the fender. Got the brake line edging on. Happy with it. I wanted to make them look decent, even tho they are only for PA inspection.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Front fenders started. Figured out a mounting point that should work. Used high grade studs in place of caliper bolts. Using high grade cap nuts to hold caliper to stud. The extra sticking out is just the right lenght !

Showing caliper studs in place of bolts

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Last 3 fenders done. Just edging needs put on. For just throwing them together they came out pretty decent. Not pro fab work, but not bad for shade tree !

Pic of my youngest son, he is 5'-8" to give a reference for height and stance.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the front fender edge done. Mounted up, now for the other side

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

I finally finished the damn door ! Been busy with work and coaching track. Last real big hurdle, now need some warm weather to get this done !

Also any input on where the best deals for oil temp/psi, amp, tach & speedo gauges ? Looking for VDO style or similar.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

New harness showed up today in the mail. Rebel Wire VW Bug Kit. Very well made, well marked, good quality. I have the main harness ran to the back of the bug. Need to get some Wire Wrap before I do the engine. Make it look nice.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the harness fished thru the "A" post to the rear end. Dropped out the power wire & back up light down the "B" post to the battery tray. Spt the harness at the rear for engine & lights. Need to get some more braided wire cover to make it look good. Slow & Steady

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Rebel Wire VW Kit no complaints at all. Heat shrink, zip ties, loom & brackets. I am way to picky for wiring. Trying to make it all neat & tidy.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Rear wiring done. Looks clean. Wire hanging down is license plate light, wires for taillights resting on fenders. Need to reroute air lines for shocks, hide them better. And....... figure a bumper & taillights out ! Next up the front wiring, hopefully be able to make it look clean. The old girl needs a bath also

Slow & Steady is the key
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: