Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Put new tires and wheels on her. Pricey up worth it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Those tires are great! Maybe something tough like that next time for mine.

I changed the oil on my 73 over the weekend. It barely moved last year because of a new baby but this summer I plan on having a lot of fun with it. Also cleaned the air cleaner, new fuel filter, and some misc odds and ends that made for a good Friday. I swear the top has soaked up half a bottle of armor-all and could still take more.

Found a mystery toggle switch under the left side of the dash, time to look closer at the wiring diagram. It was painted over when the car was rebuilt 20ish years ago and many of the wires are orange now as well so tracing that is going to be interesting.

Brakes are next, all the parts are collected I just need another free weekend to do them. The belt in the 8-Track broke so that has to come out now for a good cleaning and rebuild, now that I have done before. I admire the skill and knowledge of the users on this site, I'm a computer engineer by day and this car is a great adventure into something new for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Well I do live in the High Desert. Wink

[/img]
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

While the engine was out (had the tranny rebuilt) I decided to add a MST serpentine belt system. The theremostat for the shroud's flaps was missing, so I decided to pull the shroud to see what else needed work.
I ended up replacing the old loovers/flaps with a newer set I had and put everything back together. With everything back on the engine I gave the fan a spin to make sure it wasn't rubbing on anything.

I didn't expect it to rub, as it wasn't rubbing before I took the shroud off and I had left the generator and fan bolted in place.

I was wrong. The damn fan was now rubbing somewhere on the shroud. Confused

So, the shroud is now off again and this time I've also separated the generator/fan to find out where it's rubbing.

One of these times I'm going to to a job/repair and everything is going to go as planned, with no problems.

Fat chance that will ever happen Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got a 2'' narrowed and adjustable bug beam installed
Took her to the European Experience show here in Savannah

911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Tranny and engine are back in. Installed a MST serpentine belt system and my old Mallory Unilite distributor. Just waiting for the new, shorter clutch cable. I also splurged and bought a new exhaust system from Vintage Speed.

Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Put some carpet in the back to keep the dog from sliding around. Very Happy
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

I drove my Thing for the first time this summer thanks to family events of all sorts. I modified my ad to include the Bimini top and highback seats, but I will install one or both next good weather break I get, and I may just keep Thing. It sure was fun buzzing around with it again.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

I put it back into storage after driving it all week. I took the Samba ad for it down.

Funny, the ad generated no genuine interest ... but just driving around, I received two more, "Hey, do you want to sell it," requests. The first guy I gave my usual, "No," but I took the second guy's info on a smoothie napkin.

Most of all, I realized i was put-off-ish with both of these guys and others in the recent past because I really don't want to sell Thing. (I had been lying to myself and thinking I just wasn't in the mood to negotiate or I didn't want to fool around with someone who just wanted to low-ball me. Truth is no price has yet been mentioned by me or any inquirer.)
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

What did I do today? Officially started last week. She had been acting up, dying at red lights, hot start issues for ever that we learned to work around.

gave in, took her to local European repair shop. Great great guy that has run it for years. Did some work on a buddy's vert few years ago. extremely knowledgeable and great to talk cars with etc. so I turned it over to the "experts" despite my son's objections.

We just picked her up today. I did not drive her but my son did. He gave it his blessing. Said ran great, pulled strong, idled well. We did a hot start test when we got home. fired up first crank. prior would take 4-5 w/o touching the pedal or would be even longer.

while in shop, we swapped out for SVDA distributor vs mechanical. so far my son seeing improvement in performance.

with all this great news, we parked her in the garage for safe keeping.

Category 3 Hurricane heading to TX. Hopefully far south of us to avoid winds etc. Sounds like we maybe flooding away though if forecasters are correct. fingers crossed.

Ready for fall show season now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Yikes! Shocked Batten down the hatches Ziggy!!
Glad to hear you got your Thing sorted! I'm guessing the ethanol was gunkin up your carb, as it sounds like you get as many miles on your as I do each year(far between)... I've contemplated going SVdA as well..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Well the rains have finally stopped from Hurricane Harvey and sun has broke. Crazy weather. Crazy devastation.

Excellent opportunity for car nuts to get out to local cruise night taking donations for JJ Watt Flood relief.

So we hit the show with my youngest who is now 15. Thing ran crazy. Great acceleration, smooth. Definitely made for great cruise out evening night.

couple pics from event. got a kick out of "what" parked next to me. Kind of like a Thing, you got to love it or hate it. So ugly only a mother could love. A Metropolitan Nash decked in Boston Red Sox decor. I met the owner. Really interesting story about the car. Google it if get bored.

enough said. Great to get out in our Thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got back from my first long trip to visit some old neighbors in Michigan. Friday night I threw out the idea of taking the Thing to the wife. Surprised she agreed, 350 miles round trip, 8 hrs total seat time. Stopped about 1/2 way through the trip to stretch the legs since the seats aren't the most supportive. It ran great, even on the highway legs. Definitely wouldn't take it on the highway during rush hour though. When the speed limit is 70 and I'm trying to hold 60 uphill, it gets a little sketchy. Love the secondary roads, stretches of 55mph with a little break now and then going through small towns... Now that I know it'll run longer trips reliably, I'm looking forward to travelling to some VW shows. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning it up.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Finally got to take the Thing out for a cruise Sunday, it's been right dern hot here in Va. It did ok, bogged out on me taking a left turn though, kinda like the 009 flat spot type bog, not sure what's up there, maybe the gas was getting old.

Smoked a bit on first start up like it was running very rich, but it had been sitting. Later on the day it seemed to run fine.

Probably time for a tune up.

Had a bunch of folks wave at me, almost to the point of getting annoying.
Did see a nice Karman Ghia while out but that was the only AC-VW I saw that day.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
scudders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

anybody know when they made a 73 thing 4 lug ,? was this a American car ?
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

The only 4-lug versions I am aware were conversions with Beetle front ends and rear drums.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Took "The Toy" out today...beautiful day...top down, windshield down...what fun!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Finally getting around to a brake job, I'm a first timer and never done one before so it was a slow start but finished the front end by dinner time. Also replaced a broken spedo cable so I'll be able to tell how fast I'm driving for the first time ever.

Big surprise of the day was a mess of wires shoved up in the dash that are all cut off. My best guess at the moment is that long ago someone had some accessories that were removed but the wiring was not completely pulled. The best part is they were present when the car was painted an unknown number of years ago so all the wires are orange so tracing them is going to be just awesome. Oh and the fuse block is not attached to anything, its just sort of floating there in the cavity, that's pretty cool.

Spent some time tracking a mystery toggle switch tucked up under the dash as well but it got too dark.

Oops of the day? I fed the spedo cable behind the dash panels into the glove box to have a nice angle while feeding it to avoid kinking it. That was great but now the radio doesn't turn on, must have knocked something loose. That was due to come out anyway to repair the 8-track this winter, everything else works fine so not a biggie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

switched out column to early and shaved dash. put a beetle locking ignition under dash to start it up and headlight switch under dash. got interior done and stripped old black and red paint job off to the og color.
Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Lights , Getting rid of the big ass lights. using early bus lights for tail and brake and late bus backups as turn signals. Might add some small leds for backups .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 81 of 88

Jump to: