Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuning/popping issues
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparky232
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm pulling my hair out here. Finally got my 61 356 running pretty decent after 3 years of headaches but can't seem to figure out what is going on with some backfiring through carbs mainly when just cruising down the road around 2,000 rpm. Im certain this is being caused by number 1 cylinder mixture screw not having barely any effect when tuning. I've cleaned idle jets on that carb, synced with snail, replaced all the usual stuff (cap rotor plugs wires), checked points and timing, checked floats, and still can't seem to figure out whats up. Have also given it the quick once over with carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks and come up with nothing. So essentially, lean condition on 1/2 carb but cant figure out why. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Btw, i'm running weber 40s, carter electric pump, 12v alt conversion.
Thanks in advance for any insight
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

sounds like a lean condition, I would think at 2000 rpms you would be coming off the idle jets. have you done a valve adjustment check exhaust valve not opening properly due to a bad cam.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

Exhaust leak? Sometimes that will make it pop especially on deceleration.

Have you done a compression test? Could be a burnt/leaky valve?

Edit - Just re-read the post and I see it is popping back through the carbs. Most likely nothing to di with exhaust but still could be a valve not sealing correctly.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

If the carbs were Zeniths and not Weber then I would still suspect dirt in the internals. It sounds like a partially blocked passage? to me especially as one of the mixture screws does not have any effect.

I know little about Weber carbs but in principle provided as you say the electrics are all first class then it sounds like the carb to me.

Did you check every single jet, air and petrol?

Hope you find it, I can imagine its most annoying.

Roy
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

Try spraying some quick start at idle around the carb and manifold.
Maybe a leak ? Check for a idle jump when doing this.
sraucher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning/popping issues Reply with quote

Possible warped carb manifold?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: