Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:

Anybody with knowledge of its history please fill me in.

Looks great and loving the color, but will wait for it's own thread to continue oggling so as not to sidetrack this thread!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Me and my 2WD had a great time Razz , great relaxation like always, won some swag (did not sleep through the raffle this year!!) Food was great... night time was some cold chit!!! Brrrrrrr... see ya'll next year! Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Me and my 2WD had a great time Razz , great relaxation like always, won some swag (did not sleep through the raffle this year!!) Food was great... night time was some cold chit!!! Brrrrrrr... see ya'll next year! Very Happy

Hey it was fun chatting with you about your van detour to the dark side and your current vans evolution!

See you next year!
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Bring on the pictures!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

362 days left. See you guys next year!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

A great event!
Thank you to everyone who helped
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

My $0.02:
OK, it's called Syncrofest, so I reckon Syncros should take precedence at registration.
But there are more 2WD Vanagons surviving than Syncros, and excluding these would cut lots of great people out of this event. This I feel would be detrimental to the community nature of the gathering. I am happy to be a member of this community.
However overcrowding puts a strain on the organizers as well as the limited space available. It seems attendance has reached critical mass.

A solution might be to put a cap on the total number of Vans admitted, and to close registration when that number is reached.

I hope to see as many of you as possible next year!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
My $0.02:

A solution might be to put a cap on the total number of Vans admitted, and to close registration when that number is reached.

^^^ This is what Seth did this year, cut back on sales and it sold out or reached the total earlier than most expected.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Ok. How 'bout this. An entrance fee for six two wheel drive vannies max and we pack as many volks into the van as shrinerly possible. Just like back in the drive-in movie days..
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Ok. How 'bout this. An entrance fee for six two wheel drive vannies max and we pack as many volks into the van as shrinerly possible. Just like back in the drive-in movie days..

Shrinerly....lol

Last edited by newfisher on Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Just restrict registrations to actual Volkswagens, the way they do at Volkswagen shows.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

A great event as usual, hats off to the organizers. The event was well managed with respect to the number of attendees.
An interesting mix 0f 2-4WD vehicles and lots of interesting owners along with them.
I was happy to see 4 Tristars and quite a few Double cabs as well as a couple of Syncro single cabs.
The dinner was delectable and cooked to perfection, the pancake breakfast and the ever free hot dogs and Popcorn are always a hit.
My biggest take away from the trip is the importance of having nothing loose in your Wheeler when on the track. If you have a remote refrigerator just using straps to tie it in, is not enough. The positive Turn buckles that Go Westy and other vendors sell is MUST HAVE. When you are on you side in a rolled vehicle, that Fridge should be hanging there. I was in a vehicle that went on its side and the fridge was loosely strapped down and was not a projectile but was definitely loose when we went over.
I went through 10 Vanagon windshields as well as one for a Favorite vendor of mine.
All in all I am counting the days till next year. I think the Trail bikes were a little much, especially since this is a kid friendly event. This show is always improving and I think it is going to do nothing but get better with age.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

I appreciate how difficult it must be to plan these events.
I never heard a discouraging word. This says a lot for the organizers.

I also give major thanks to the organizers!

Brainstorming future improvements:
each year the gathering evolves, sometimes in unexpected ways.

and each year a great deal of thought goes into how to optimize factors that bear improvement for the following year.

some of the challenges this year:

1. Registration closed before some people with Syncros had signed up.

possible solution:
Only register Syncros for the first 2 weeks. Only allow 2wd to register starting the 3rd week.

2. Amplified LOUD Music at 2am.

Ban Amplified Music!

3. Motorcycles speeding through camp

Ban Motorcycles in camp.

4. static campers, that do not drive the trails, both syncro and 2wd

Priorize perimeter parking for people that intend to drive on the trails, so they do not get blocked in by static campers.

5. a child safe, no drive zone

I block the road, past Stoner Hill, to prevent through traffic, so that families with children can play safely on that road without vehicles driving in and out among the children.

6. Not enough Syncro Driving going on.

a. I propose a return of Syncro University, new driver training. Im willing to host a mini seminar once a day, at the training hill, to give new drivers an intro.

b. I propose a regular syncro tour of the park, for example, line up at 11am every morning. There are many Syncro drivers that would enjoy taking people for rides, and could also lead a small group of vans on trailrides of varying degrees of difficulty.

c. I propose a regular 2wd tour of the park, for example, line up at 12 noon every morning. Im willing to lead this one.

7. Non Vanagons

I propose ALL non Vanagons be required to park in the oddball lot, even when unloading.

Observations:
There seemed to be a smaller crowd than last year.
Last year people could sign up when they arrived, without having to preregister. This year that was not an option, due to the sell out.

The event has become more static camping oriented than Syncro trail riding oriented. I propose more planned trail rides

There is a larger percentage of 2wd than Syncros. I propose registration priority for Syncros.

Some people want to party and play loud music. IMO, this is not appropriate at SyncroFest, it affects families with children, the late night noise is just not appropriate during the main event. I propose that amplified music be allowed only on Sunday Night, when everybody but the party Zone goes home.

disclaimer: I am not a member of the organizing team, these are just my opinions
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Ban the the license plates of the loud music from future Syncrofests. No sympathy for them at all.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

Who's got the Finnish Army High Top? Just a little jealous here! Very Happy

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Who's got the Finnish Army High Top? Just a little jealous here! Very Happy

Looks like swedish M90 splinter camo. I want one.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
possible solution:
Only register Syncros for the first 2 weeks. Only allow 2wd to register starting the 3rd week.

That's basically what Seth said a page or two back and I like the idea. As a 2WD owner, I totally understand giving priority to Syncros, but to ban 2WD's outright from the event is not kosher.

Jon_slider wrote:
2. Amplified LOUD Music at 2am.

Ban Amplified Music!

Hollister SVRA has quiet hours: 10pm to 6am.

Simply need to enforce the park rules like BBB does at Havasu: "Making noise during the quiet hours will get you kicked out. Period. No discussion."

That said, it is kind of rude to play your music loud enough to be heard all over camp, regardless of the hour.

Jon_slider wrote:
a. I propose a return of Syncro University, new driver training. Im willing to host a mini seminar once a day, at the training hill, to give new drivers an intro.

b. I propose a regular syncro tour of the park, for example, line up at 11am every morning. There are many Syncro drivers that would enjoy taking people for rides, and could also lead a small group of vans on trailrides of varying degrees of difficulty.

c. I propose a regular 2wd tour of the park, for example, line up at 12 noon every morning. Im willing to lead this one.

I like ^those!

Is the "Syncro Stop" still being used? That was introduced after my trip to SF and thought it was a wonderful idea.

Finally, more pics, please! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Brainstorming future improvements:
each year the gathering evolves, sometimes in unexpected ways.

and each year a great deal of thought goes into how to optimize factors that bear improvement for the following year.

disclaimer: I am not a member of the organizing team, these are just my opinions

Jon - Remember back a few years when there was a Syncro De Mayo event? (I know you do) What happened there? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446839

I know it's not exactly the same circumstances, but disagreement over what the event should be and who would be included caused a huge rift in the Vanagon community. Seems like you are heading down the same road with your post wanting to make it something else or have it get it back to it's roots. That's the problem when an event gets too popular, it morphs or dies. I'd hate to see the same arguments rise up again over Syncrofest.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
possible solution:

That's basically what Seth said a page or two back and I like the idea. As a 2WD owner, I totally understand giving priority to Syncros, but to ban 2WD's outright from the event is not kosher.
Is the "Syncro Stop" still being used? That was introduced after my trip to SF and thought it was a wonderful idea.

I agree the Syncro Stop is a great feature, I do not think it was implemented this year, and that is what my suggestions regarding trail tours and rides is intended to do.

fwiw, Seth never suggested staggered nor priority registration, it was me:
Jon_slider wrote:

suggestion for next year:
Imo Syncros should have priority at SyncroFest.

I propose two separate SyncroFest registration schedules.
1. Syncros ONLY, will be allowed to register for SyncroFest for the first period.

2. 2wd will be allowed to register, AFTER the Syncro registration period closes.

I suggest that the 2wd people create their own event(s)
There is a large demand for 2wd gatherings, and they will come to be spectators at Syncro events, if they are allowed. I think that needs to change and 2wd people need to get their own event(s)..

I also did not say that 2wd should be banned at SyncroFest. I did say that 2wd people should Also start their own event. Especially the VanLifers, FullTimers, Ravers, and 2wd people that are static campers, and have had a large presence for the last couple of years.

fwiw, I called Hollister OHV and made some preliminary inquiries regarding cost and availability. I will be happy to share info and help organize an event that is 2wd and static camping oriented, and that also includes Syncros. The Hollister staff person I spoke to also mentioned a nearby site that could be of interest:
http://www.boladoparkeventcenter.com/w.facilities.htm
PM me if you want to brainstorm starting a new event.

Overall, I remain really grateful to the SyncroFest organizers, and look forward to ongoing improvements in the event structure.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncrofest 7: May 4-7, 2017 Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
fwiw, Seth never suggested staggered nor priority registration, it was me:

Oopsie... apologies. Embarassed Just turned another year older... memory is going downhill. Laughing

Jon_slider wrote:
I also did not say that 2wd should be banned at SyncroFest.

Didn't say you did; but that has been suggested and I simply replied in general.

Jon_slider wrote:
I did say that 2wd people should Also start their own event. Especially the VanLifers, FullTimers, Ravers, and 2wd people that are static campers, and have had a large presence for the last couple of years.

For any large event that involves using the vans (road-tripping, trail-riding, etc.), it will be very difficult to have them as 4WD- or 2WD-only. If it's 2WD only, the Syncros will feel left out; if it's 4WD only, the 2WD's will feel left out...

Jon_slider wrote:
I will be happy to share info and help organize an event that is 2wd and static camping oriented, and that also includes Syncros.

^...see what I mean. Wink Razz

Frankly, if there is a "Vanfest" type of event, it should be out of California (no offense), and more central to the entire Western region. A benefit of being in Europe, in a day's drive you can reach numerous countries, hence Busfest being so huge every year. The downside of being in the western USA, in a day's drive you could pass through just 1 state. Confused

We're really getting off-topic; perhaps a new thread for the new potential event and continue with SyncroFest awesomeness in this one? Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: