Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Today I still do what I've always done. In the 2004-2007 period I did spend a lot of time developing Porsche's water-cooled engine, and took that time away from T4 and other aircooled work.

Fast forward till today and I have patented two products that save those water-cooled engines, of which more than 100,00 were built. I have 4 more Patents pending for other items as well.

My company grew and created a secondary division, which kept us going strong through the great recession. Today I have a crew that runs the water-cooled Porsche side of the house, while I continue building aircooled Porsche engines, and T4s. Its my therapy now, and I have gone back to working by myself, the way that it used to be. I play with the things I want to, while my crew handles the rest.

I still do a ton of T4 development work for my engine program. The only thing I do today with the water-cooled Porsche side is related to development, and training Porsche technicians that travel from far and wide to attend my hands- on engine rebuild school.

If someone wants a Camper Special, (CS+ today) and they answer all the questions right, I'll build them one. They better have patience, and monetary resources, as it won't be quick, and it won't be cheap. What matters most to me today is ensuring that I don't have any customers for these engines that have an unreal expectation, so I lay it all out on day #1, and its a big reality check. Few can take the truth, in the way that I present it, which is tactful, but very "on point". I do this to set the tone for the build, and when I do this, and people are the type that appreciate it, we will have a flawless project with them

I stopped sharing, because I learned that when you argue with a fool, the people standing around won't know which one is which.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Today I still do what I've always done. In the 2004-2007 period I did spend a lot of time developing Porsche's water-cooled engine, and took that time away from T4 and other aircooled work.

Fast forward till today and I have patented two products that save those water-cooled engines, of which more than 100,00 were built. I have 4 more Patents pending for other items as well.

My company grew and created a secondary division, which kept us going strong through the great recession. Today I have a crew that runs the water-cooled Porsche side of the house, while I continue building aircooled Porsche engines, and T4s. Its my therapy now, and I have gone back to working by myself, the way that it used to be. I play with the things I want to, while my crew handles the rest.

I still do a ton of T4 development work for my engine program. The only thing I do today with the water-cooled Porsche side is related to development, and training Porsche technicians that travel from far and wide to attend my hands- on engine rebuild school.

If someone wants a Camper Special, (CS+ today) and they answer all the questions right, I'll build them one. They better have patience, and monetary resources, as it won't be quick, and it won't be cheap. What matters most to me today is ensuring that I don't have any customers for these engines that have an unreal expectation, so I lay it all out on day #1, and its a big reality check. Few can take the truth, in the way that I present it, which is tactful, but very "on point". I do this to set the tone for the build, and when I do this, and people are the type that appreciate it, we will have a flawless project with them

I stopped sharing, because I learned that when you argue with a fool, the people standing around won't know which one is which.

Wink that would go well on a shirt! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

That would be a long read for a T-shirt Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Quote:
Then waterboxers with high compression.

My bad. I thought this was a reference to the DH and MV engines for the Vanagons. I have memories of the Porsche engine work.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

No VW wassers for me. The few wasser based engines I built were converted to Oxyboxers.

The only Vanagon I own is a Diesel Bundeswehr Doka.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

That would be a long read for a T-shirt Laughing

You KNOW I just meant the final quote!....but I could do it both ways if you want. Laughing Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I am curious as to why the air-cooled engines seemed to hold more interest for you in developing them. It seems like that is what you are most interested in and would rather do. Just wondering what is is about the air cooled engine that makes it different for you in this way.

My guess would be that it is more challenging to get right and that water cooled engines are more forgiving of less precise work. I run into people who seem to see ACVW engines as simple and crude, but I think the opposite. The elegance in the engineering behind them makes for a cleaner design that some may interpret as simple or crude

Last edited by orwell84 on Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
but I could do it both ways if you want. Laughing Ray

Careful now, that's just TMI! Razz

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I am curious as to why the air-cooled engines seemed to hold more interest for you in developing them. It seems like that is what you are most interested in and would rather do. Just wondering what is is about the air cooled engine that makes it different for you in this way.

My guess would be that it is more challenging to get right and that water cooled engines are more forgiving of less precise work. I run into people who seem to see ACVW engines as simple and crude, but I think the opposite. The elegance in the engineering behind them makes for a cleaner design that some may interpret as simple or crude

Aircooled engines are what built this business. Its what I first learned on, and I like to do more with less. I also like to bring things back from the dead, and restore them. Its kind of hard to do that with the new, plastic stuff.

All that said, I like the modern Porsche engines as well, as they have issues that we can solve, and help hundreds of thousands of people. Its also a way for us to experience more modern technology, and adopt the things that we can for the aircooled engines.

Aircooled engines are my therapy, so I watch what we build, and who we build it for, simply because therapy can become a nightmare if you deal with the wrong guy. Today about 75% of people are "the wrong guy".
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Your customer struggles are shared by many business owners across many industries....
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Quote:
Then waterboxers with high compression.

My bad. I thought this was a reference to the DH and MV engines for the Vanagons. I have memories of the Porsche engine work.

Someone was pimping ceramics heads and really high compression (higher than the Euro engines). If Jake says it wasnt him, then I guess my memory was wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Your customer struggles are shared by many business owners across many industries....

Business have gotten a lot better at culling out profitable customers from the chaff. Airlines are a prime example. I fire about 1/3 of my clients each year when I am at the point of diminishing value or if they don't follow my advice. You pay me for my advice, and if you know better, then you shouldn't be paying me.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone was pimping ceramics heads and really high compression (higher than the Euro engines)

Nah. It was the Boxster's engine he was tweaking' on, if my three remaining brain cells can agree upon. No worries
Brian 11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

[img]Jake,

Brian here. Been awhile sine I have been on SAMBA. Been Getting Life back in order. Still have your Company Bus original Power Stroke motor and Transmission in Type D preservation in my 72 sunroof stored along with the original GEX S%h^i@t motor with Weber Carb and transmission. Please feel free to state what this motor has done and the things you put it through. This information is no longer on the Web. But knowing JR reputation I purchased it. Back to working on Helicopters again Sir. Contractor and Military finally found out cutting personnel numbers did not work out. Now working on the Romeo. This thing? Being I work on the avionics I call it an X Box 360 on Steroids with a broken foot still. Sorry I am Old school but adapting. I did in the meantime build engine harnesses for G.E. turbines and make contact lenses for J and J. Got a video of that before I left. Monster machine. Learned a lot about robotics and vacuum / pressure actuators and MANY sensors. To all of you that do not know I arrived at Air Cooled Heaven years ago to purchase the Company Bus original Power stroke engine and 6 rib transmission in a water cooled 1990 Suzuki Swift. Yes JR let a water cooled vehicle back then on the property. Was a long drive up to the compound which is now paved. Passenger seat removed. We shoe horned the engine into the back and the trans went into the passenger floor. This motor Jake assembled with a VW Rabbit fuel injection system. It was his test mule. JR told me face to face, Don't Rev it and Pop the clutch. The 6 rib will be Toast. Jake I still have it and hopefully soon in the Next 2 years will be getting the Bus restored. In Arizona not Florida. Bought a home in Lake Havasu the sister and brother in law helped overhaul and are currently living in. They Bug out when I move in. Would like to converse with you as to the engine and transmission before I send the bus to Az. for restore. I will be putting this all together after the bus is restored. If you still have my contact info Please give me a Buzz at your convenience. If not I do not hear fro you I will try to contact you through your current info. Did not fall off the Planet. Just had some Life's Journeys to make decisions on the forks in the road. Enough said here. We can converse more off site. Including stuff I never sent you. No promises though but I will do what I can do. To all out there. I met the man. Got a tour of Air Cooled Heaven back then and was Blown Away. Today what I see it is 10 X's better. Times change and so does business. JR has moved on but has not forgotten the past If I was 30 years younger I would want to live in Georgia as an apprentice. I do hold that muffler I purchased from Len to Fit to this Motor. Best to you and yours JR. Brian. . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1963 Beetle Nana's Little Bug
1977 Ford F100
1972 Nova
No computers, No abs. Yea! GOTTA LOVE THE OLD STUFF!!!
If everything I tell you is a lie and I then tell you I'm lying, am I?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Niiiiiice header!

Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

IIRC, that's the Tangerine bus exhasust?

What’s That Noise?!?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Brian, Nice hearing from you... That was many moons ago!! I wondered what happened to that engine.
TravelingInAFriedOutKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Just read this entire post and all replies. Damn did I learn a lot about my engine. I was just quoted $4000 to rebuild the top end of my FI type 4. Now that I know quality parts aren't even available- I won't be throwing my money away. Seems to me the best options now are (obviously) pay Jake 25k to do it right, throw a type 1 in there and rebuild it every 50k miles, or do a subie conversion.

As a poor college kid who just paid $4500 for the bus, I think I'm shit outta luck. The PO told me that the motor had been rebuilt 17k miles ago. I believed him based on me driving it for about 50 miles before pulling the trigger. Funny how things end up. I think I'll be exiting the VW community until I have real money. Or I win the lottery.

Sad
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Quality parts are still available. They are just difficult to source and take time to find.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

TravelingInAFriedOutKombi wrote:
Seems to me the best options now are (obviously) pay Jake 25k to do it right, throw a type 1 in there and rebuild it every 50k miles, or do a subie conversion.
Sad

Yeah, it may seem bleak, not having the funds to have your engine rebuilt. But the fourth option to consider is to pull the engine and diagnose/fix it yourself. Thousands of VW owners have done it, so there's no reason you can't. It will save huge amounts of cash, and you'll learn a lot about your engine. That's what college is about, right? ...learning and struggling? Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: