Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alika's Syncro transmission work
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Thank you guys Very Happy Very Happy

Icolquhoun,I'm not sure I understand your advice, I did drill the C-channel and bolted it to the main case. When I added the piece of pipe to keep the pinion nut tool all the way in, there was no way it was to ever slip out of there Wink
The C-channel stuck under the vise was to brace the transmission from spinning around Idea
I have already a Tdi adapter plate from Germany I got a couple years ago before RMW offered it on the US market. Did you make yours? It looks good Smile
I wish I had a lathe to make little parts like that.

Aloha all!

I know exactly why you have the c channel and it's exactly the way I hold mine to keep it from spinning as well!
I was just suggesting the have the holes drilled in it so that you have more of a length sticking out to the side of the trans so a adjustable wrench wedged in the vice won't be required Wink
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Oh I see! Well, that was the only piece of C channel I had laying around Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Sven, are you up to the lathe challenge for my coolant flange adapter ? Wink
You really think it's gonna be enough of an oil cooler? The weird shape is not gonna make it easy to get a fan to blow air on it :/

Aloha all!

Yeah, I forgot to check your "drawing by words". D
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Looking good. Forgetting parts does keep us humble....

I agree with Sven. That cooler is perfect. Keep it simple.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Thanks Otter Wink

I will still test the flow see how much GPM that thing gets. I'm a little worried about cooling performance though, but we'll see Idea
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alika, did you end up using this method? I can't tell in the 2nd photo if it is attached to the pipe that goes across.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Hi!

Yes I did, I'm missing a few pics and work to post it:

Here is the line going from the gundrilled mainshaft to the 4th gear oiling port

Redrilled the banjo a little bigger.

It's a stainless steel 8mm line for an Audi 1.8T engine that I cut and bent.
Glued with special compound to a modified round flare and a modified banjo fitting.

I don't have a pic yet of the stud installed, it's basically a gundrilled M10x1.25 bolt on which the hexagonal head has been modified to receive a brazed femalle threaded flare to attach to the nut on the steel line pictured above.

On that stud is a long 10mm IDx18mm OD sleeve from a Subaru belt tensioner roller that got bored partially at 1/2" ID to act as a chamber.
The line from the mainshaft ball bearing oiling port rides across it and will be brazed like a tee on top of the sleeve that will be like a banjo fitting.
The stud will be drilled to be like a banjo bolt.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Alika do you have pics of how you made the groove in your pinion bearing?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Alika do you have pics of how you made the groove in your pinion bearing?

Hey man!

no, I did it with a disc grinder: put some grease on the races to not get them pitted by the sparks. I marked the bearing with a sharpie and I followed the line: one pass to make a slight groove that would guide the disc for the following passes.

Cheers!
Doka Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Bringing back an old one...

Alika did you get this up and running? I'm about to embark on case modifications for oiling and am wondering how that bmw assembly worked out. I have access to one and it seems like a slick all around solution.

I've been scouring the forums and you and Sodo are to be thanked for laying this stuff out. Between you guys, Gears, and the well documented efforts of Herman you've made it so much easier for the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Doka Todd wrote:
Bringing back an old one...

Alika did you get this up and running? I'm about to embark on case modifications for oiling and am wondering how that bmw assembly worked out. I have access to one and it seems like a slick all around solution.

I've been scouring the forums and you and Sodo are to be thanked for laying this stuff out. Between you guys, Gears, and the well documented efforts of Herman you've made it so much easier for the rest of us.

Hi Todd!

thank you for your interest Smile

I haven't mounted the transmission yet as this is for a Syncro I've been building for many years (a conversion to Syncro and to M-Tdi).

I don't have any feedback to offer to you I'm afraid, but some people have voiced concerns on another post about the amperage, something about the pump not able to last if run continuously.

If you need any reduced bushings for in and out fittings for an oil circulation system off the drain/fill plugs, I have them in the classifieds.

I'll finish the plumbing soon on the transmission and will post pictures as time allows.

Aloha and good luck with your project, it's rewarding!
Doka Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Thanks Alika. I'm likely going the way of the Exa pump (weddle etc.) as it's a proven part. The BMW setup was so inexpensive comparatively that I really wanted it on the short list.

I've been having some conversations with other members on the direction I'm taking with this rebuild, and as I've said to them, I really need to thank and commend you and the others on the documentation and experimentation you've conducted getting an oiling system to work properly. I have design experience, and am a machinist by trade and am fully aware of the expense of time and money that comes with this trial and error. You guys have made this easy for me, drilling and tapping holes is easy when you know where they need to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Doka Todd wrote:
Thanks Alika. I'm likely going the way of the Exa pump (weddle etc.) as it's a proven part. The BMW setup was so inexpensive comparatively that I really wanted it on the short list.

I've been having some conversations with other members on the direction I'm taking with this rebuild, and as I've said to them, I really need to thank and commend you and the others on the documentation and experimentation you've conducted getting an oiling system to work properly. I have design experience, and am a machinist by trade and am fully aware of the expense of time and money that comes with this trial and error. You guys have made this easy for me, drilling and tapping holes is easy when you know where they need to go.

You're welcome!

It's our pleasure to share things on the forum, I'm sure you'll find better ideas and improvements as you work on it, that's the way it goes Wink
Lucky you're a machinist, are you for hire? The local ones here suck...

Aloha!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alika's Syncro transmission work Reply with quote

Here is a little update from the work I did a few months ago, I had more pics but I lost my phone Crying or Very sad

I got some 8mm stainless steel tubing. The manifold-T above theLow gear housing has been machined in France last summer, it is hollow inside, to make a little oil chamber, and the bolt that goes through it is gundrilled and has ports like a banjo bolt. The mini T manifold has smaller ID on the outer edge than the inner edge for machining purposes.

Banjo bolt drilled at 60° , offset on the length to preserve strength

The last pic with the tube bent on the ground goes from the access hole for the pinion bearing oiling port, right side of tranny, above tranny and down to the big rectangular manifold, the rear side of it. The opposite forward entrance of the manifold will be the feed from the pump. The manifold is drilled and tapped bigger on the inlet side for machining purposes to create a chamber.

The big oil dump fitting with the blue tape will have a flex line to the manifold, you cannot see the port but it is horizontal and will go through the black aluminum angle profile that supports it. It will be sandwiched with copper washers, bc the mounting holes were too close to clear the fitting hexagonal part, I screwed up the manifold design, I didn't think of that....

Here is the Syncro diesel gas tank mounted and a view for the clearance above the transmission:

I banged the chassis beam with a sledge hammer to gain a couple precious millimeters for the fitting on the end of my gundrilled mainshaft.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: