Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems shifting
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Problems shifting Reply with quote

I have been having problems shifting with my 73 Thing. Sometimes when in neutral at a light I try to put into 1st gear it only goes into 3rd. For some reason the shifter will not go over enough for first gear. Really a pain at a light with people behind you. Might this be the shift bushing? If so how do I change it? I have not seen any threads here for doing this for the Thing just for beetles and karmangias. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks for your help
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

Sounds like a linkage coupler problem. If it has one. On a Bug you can loosen the two bolts at the base of the shifter and put the car in second and pull on the gear shift and tighten it in place and this adjust them to shift better.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

Either the shifter adjustment, shifter bushing, coupler, or tranny.

The first one is the easiest to do, then the other two should be looked at and replaced if necessary, and finally the tranny.

Same as a bug.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

It's probably just your shift plate that needs to be adjusted. Here is a video that might help:
https://youtu.be/IVcDysBVwq0

Good luck and please report back.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

I will look at all those things. It just seems odd that it ran fine and shifted fine for almost 2 years now I am starting to have the problem at random times. That was why I was leaning towards it maybe being the bushing is now shot or falling apart. I need to get under the rear seat to check the access panel to check the bushing. I will keep you posted. I hope I can get to it soon but I may have to wait till July when I will be back around the car.
Thanks for the suggestions.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

I had pretty sloppy shifting on my car. I replaced the plastic bushing with the Bronze one from EV4U: http://ev4unow.com/VWShiftRodBushing.html It's pretty easy, with the included instruction video.

I marked where my shift plate was with a marker, and put it back in the same place, but I still had to move it to the left a little to get my pattern centered up. Now, it shifts like a dream, and I'll never have to go in there again :>)

BNMike
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

The bushing cannot be seen by the rear access panel by the tranny (that is for the coupler. The bushing hangs in a carrier from the top of the tunnel a few inches behind your shifter. You have to remove your shifter and reach in there to see if it is there or if the shifter rod is not just touching the metal hanger. If that is the case you better replace the bushing soon since if you wear the metal hanger replacing that is a lot more labor intensive.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems shifting Reply with quote

Have you checked the transaxle gear lube level lately?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: