Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schorsch84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, duly noted. If I do opt for new valves (which I likely will), can any of you recommend a quality valve at a reasonable price? Looking at an old thread (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-340631--.html), I got some recommendations, but again, the thread was old so the quality may be different today. What are some good, current options?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe will not be selling you junk....... You can take that to the bank.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_120_721/valve-exhaust.html

Bus Depot though....... You can choose junk if you desire or top quality...... Your choice! Choose wisely........

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ex...sort_order

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vinziboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinziboy wrote:

On the side, anybody knows if I can reuse stock VW keepers instead of grinding the AMC ones down?

cheers,
vinziboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schorsch87 wrote:
What are some good, current options?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I bought mine from germansupplyscott. Super nice to deal with, 15 USD for you.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18602
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever checked or tested the valve springs on these AMC heads? I wonder if they are too week to fully close the valves, and also press the lifter plunger back in the center bore of the lifter body still? Reason I ask is my valves took me a heck of a lot of tinkering to get perfect. I had the common issue of valves opening when you preload the 2 turns, and it would not run. I later backed them off to .006 and it ran like a champ with best gas mileage ever. I then put the preload back on by adjusting them to zero and adding 1/2 turn until I reached 1 1/2. I noticed when I backed off it had no pressure so it made me think the hydro lifters were working correct. But my gas mileage went back down. Bad. I then did a compression test had 155 of 3, and had 125 on another. Set that low cylinder to .006 lash and back to 155 on all 4 cylinders. I have 2200 miles on the AMC heads now. I am just wondering if the springs are weak, they let the lifter open the valve and prevent from closing all the way. That long term will burn a valve.
Just thinking out loud, but my van is running pretty sweet right now.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fraggle00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are your lifters? When I pulled my motor apart, I figured mine would be find with some cleaning but I found every one air bound and a little squishy. After tearing them all down, cleaning them and bench bleeding them per bently, they're all rock hard. We'll see if they bleed down on the bench - they're going to be there for a bit as I clean up the case, but if not, I think I'm going to be pretty happy going forward.

I'll add here that I also tore down my new AMC heads, did a light grind on all the seats/valves and worked over the keepers to remove a little slop. We'll see how they go!
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the problem is exhaust valves or soft valve seats??....in my type4 AMC heads buyed in evwspart after 15,000 miles valves look good, but the seats are deeper !!
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

Here is a photo to demonstrate why you want to replace the exhaust valves on AMC heads. The stock AMC valves on the heads I just rebuilt were ready to come apart. Notice how the valve has worn away where it rotates in the valve keepers. The other valve is the intake which for some reason didn't wear like the exhaust.

VW designed the valves to spin within the keepers. You will note the rocker hits the stem off center in order to cause this spin. I believe the valve lifters are also designed to spin in order to spread the wear over the whole surface.

Go Westy and other builders replace the stock AMC valves on new heads for good reason. They are junk!!

Both AE and TRW are reported to be good valves.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

Over 2 years on my AMC heads and right at 30k miles with no issues. I have not pulled the valve keep off to inspect but I have no symptoms or power issues. I am going to inspect the best I can by just pulling valve covers.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

jalan,
Your valve head looks like this because the valve keepers that came with the AMC head have a problem. There should be gaps between the two keepers once installed but the keepers that came with the head is too big. Look at the two installed keepers, if both sides of the keepers touch each other the valve head is not making correct contact with the keepers so the keeper is hammering the valve head. Only one side of the keeper should be able to touch the other keeper. Either new keepers should be used or the existing keepers should be grind down. Search the samba for photos.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

The keeper gap should look like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

Last year ECS Tuning had an insanely hot deal on brand new complete AMC cylinder heads for the ALH, so I bought one as a spare for my van, but I'm wondering if I should tear it down and replace the valves and keepers. Does anyone know whether the valve issues are found on all their heads?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

I just had another set of AMC heads rebuilt and this time the exhaust valves were in even worse condition. Sure glad I didn't wait another few thousand miles.

I notice that Rocky of RJE still doesn't trust the stock AMC exhaust valves.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

jalan wrote:
I just had another set of AMC heads rebuilt and this time the exhaust valves were in even worse condition. Sure glad I didn't wait another few thousand miles.

I notice that Rocky of RJE still doesn't trust the stock AMC exhaust valves.

These are wasserboxer heads, right?

Can you verify the condition of the keeper problems outlined by stevey88?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

i've got a thread going on my #4 exhaust valve leaking on my 2016 AMC head. i'll be tearing it apart at some point here. GoWesty reportedly changed the valves when they resell the heads. it'll be interesting to see what i find.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i've got a thread going on my #4 exhaust valve leaking on my 2016 AMC head. i'll be tearing it apart at some point here. GoWesty reportedly changed the valves when they resell the heads. it'll be interesting to see what i find.

Just curious, how did you diagnose the thread is going? Leak down test or visual inspection? Ive got 2014 amc heads (stock) with a little over 20k on them and knock on wood, all seems well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

i meant a Samba thread is going... as in posts!

but yes, leak down test. see my thread!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711454&highlight=

www.thefixitworkshop.com
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

If you want to jump past the usual disinformation about AMC wbx heads, I have a new blog post going over the common questions:

https://intrepidoverland.com/amc-wbx-cylinder-heads/

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
If you want to jump past the usual disinformation about AMC wbx heads, I have a new blog post going over the common questions:

nice. as always, thanks for the great info.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AMC Heads 2015, replace exhaust valves?? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

This answers a lot of my questions, thanks 10cent!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: