Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
I spent the last two evenings reading your thread and really enjoyed it. Many of the projects look familiar and you gave me a few new ideas to consider. Your engine and engine compartment are gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing your project...gives me inspiration to continue on with mine!

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. I've learned so much from others on this site that I feel like I need to give back as well. Very Happy

busdaddy wrote:
Looks fantastic Bill!

I've really gotta dig down deep in the very bottom of the barrel for anything to point out now, and that plating is slicker than whale shit on an ice floe Wink

So...., reaching way down deep..., should that oil pressure sender have the circumcised tip on the plastic part below the terminal for a rubber boot to grip?, when exactly did they change from smooth?
There should also be a reuseable translucent white nylon tie wrap sort of band on the decel valve hoses between the manifold nipple and the controller on the decklid surround.

No project is ever really finished, besides it gets really boring when it is truly done for good. Wink

Very Happy

I've honestly never heard of those items in bold before? Any pics Mark? I'm also happy to report that my OCD is NOT that out of control either. Laughing I am happy with how it looks now but most importantly, how it starts, runs and drives. I remember driving these bay buses as a young man in the early 80's at an alignment shop I worked at. I remember road testing them before and after the alignments and thinking how nicely they ran and drove. I was driving a bug at the time. This bus is FINALLY driving like I remember them from back in the day. Amazing what happens when you reinstall all the original, restored parts back on them.

notchboy wrote:

Better call Saul!

Those look great. Cant wait till the show nazi accuses you of chrome plating stuff that was not original chrome Laughing Cool

I know, right? The Caswell zinc brightener that you add to the plating solution really makes the zinc plating "POP" and it looks like chrome. But the brightness will fade and dull over time as the zinc starts to oxidize again.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

My bus had KYB gas adjust shocks on it. I wasn't a fan of the ride so I purchased some stock Sach's shocks for it. I know Koni's are well thought of but I couldn't justify the cost of them. If I find I don't like these Sach's, I may consider the Koni's down the line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I mentioned a few times already in this thread, I've learned to Zinc plate parts with Caswell products. One of the reasons was for situations like changing these shocks this morning. I pulled the original nuts, bolts and washers. All were rusted. I said to myself "just do it" and took this hardware to the plating bench. I wire wheeled the rust off them. Then, they were dunked in the acid/water mix which removed the rest of the rust and the remaining original zinc coating. They were then thrown into the ultrasonic parts cleaner to bathe in the hot water w/degreaser in it. Finally, they were replated. I forgot to take a before picture. It only took 30-45 minutes to strip and replate them in between doing other things.

I then installed the new shocks after applying anti-seize to the shock stud, bolt and threads.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Wooooooaaahhhhh theeerreeee buddy! Early bays had dark green shock absorbers from the factory!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Wow, just read your thread. Beautiful job.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
Wow, just read your thread. Beautiful job.

Thank you!

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Another build tread that is worth reckoning with. You are giving justice to your Westy. I will keep track of the development. Cool one!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Another build tread that is worth reckoning with. You are giving justice to your Westy. I will keep track of the development. Cool one!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Thanks Dong!^^

It's hard to believe that I haven't worked on the bus since May. Shocked I've only been driving it and enjoying the time behind the wheel. I haven't had any mechanical issues since the full mechanical refresh.

The remaining big rocks the bus still needs is to restore the interior and paint it inside and out. I've been looking for better original cabinets locally without luck.

I installed an NOS dome top Pierburg of Mexico pump on the engine a while back. I had planned to reinstall a restored, correct German VW logo'd Pierburg pump. Wolfsburg West has come out with a new Effee diaphragm assembly for the Pierburg pumps thats perfect. It's exactly like the one in the NOS kits I have.

I went through my core pile of rebuildable original Pierburg pumps and found a correct one to restore. I took the time to strip and re zinc plate most of the hard parts during the restoration.

I then wanted to verify that this main Diaphragm spring had the right tension for the correct fuel PSI. I installed the pump with a T'd in fuel pressure gauge. The pump put out right at 3psi.

Of course, the restored pump makes the rest of the engine look like shit now.. Razz

Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Very nice...

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Wow.. no updates since last November. Sheesh. As my previous post stated, I've finished the mechanical overhaul of the bus a while back. My day job, side job and family has prevented any further body work or interior work on this bus. I'm just enjoying driving a reliable VW.

My son was in town before going back to college. He wanted an overnight camping trip in the bus. Just Dad and son. I haven't driven the bus much the past couple of months due to the summer heat in Phoenix. I gave it a quick look over, aired the tires up, checked the oil and loaded up the camping gear.

For spare parts, I loaded the following-

* Spare NOS fuel pump.
* NOS tune up parts.
* V-belt
* Credit card.

And miscellaneous hand tools in a bag. The last two break downs I've suffered the past 20 years in a classic VW were both fuel pumps on new to me old VW's. Both were craptastic Brazilian fuel pumps that I hadn't changed before they fell apart. I also recently had a condenser act up but it got me home. First bad condenser in 35 years. I've never had a fuel pump failure with a NOS VW Pierburg or restored VW Pierburg fuel pump which is the only fuel pumps I run now.

The camp site we chose is 220 miles from my house in the Arizona mountains near Show low. The altitude is around 7500'.

We split town around 6:30am to try and beat the heat before getting into the cooler air in the mountains. The drive up to Payson has some pretty serious, steep grades that required me to down shift into 3rd to maintain 42mph with the pedal to the floor. The bus was heavy with us and the gear. The bus ran perfect on the 100 mile drive into Payson before turning on 260 towards Show Low.

The drive to Show low is beautiful. Wide open valleys and ranges with big, tall pine trees. They've gotten some good monsoon storms this summer so everything was green and lush. I did a horrible job snapping pics though. There's a long, steep grade to get up to the rim towards Show Low. It was my first time on it with the bus. I had to down shift to 2nd and floor it to maintain 35mph to get up and over this steep grade. I could clearly feel a difference in the horse power from lower oxygen in the air. I almost pulled over and tweaked the timing but didn't. The bus handled it like a champ though.

We enjoyed a nice lunch and dinner on the grill and the campsite then proceeded to freeze overnight when it dropped down into the high 50's. He slept in a tent in a big sleeping bag and I slept in the bus with blankets and no heater. Burr.. I'm too old for that shit! lol

The drive home was also uneventful though hot when we got out of the mountains. It was in the 103 range and the bus worked perfectly. No issues at all. I was glad that all the time and labor of me going through all the mechanical systems on this bus equated to another trouble/drama free camping trip. My son enjoyed the time and the folks waving, giving us the piece sign (deep sigh) and conversations. We did see another early bay camper and a Vanagon in the mountains as well.

I got 19MPG on the trip as well. Not bad considering all the grades I had to pull.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Nice.. That's what campers are for, right?

Not just for working on, y'know.. Wink

I remember that long, hard pull out of Phoenix;
Everybody has their foot down, trying to get out of town!

What’s That Noise?!?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Nice.. That's what campers are for, right?

Not just for working on, y'know.. Wink

I remember that long, hard pull out of Phoenix;
Everybody has their foot down, trying to get out of town!

Exactly! Being on this site, you could get the impression of that! Wink

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Totally awesome thread, Bill

Quote:
We enjoyed a nice lunch and dinner on the grill and the campsite then proceeded to freeze overnight when it dropped down into the high 50's. He slept in a tent in a big sleeping bag and I slept in the bus with blankets and no heater. Burr.. I'm too old for that shit! lol

I’ve gotten countless seatings at restaurants in SFO by asking to be outside when the temp dips below 75F. No, I don’t need the inverted propane torch.

You need about three weeks of temp swings for your body To learn how to adjust to temp changes and keep you comfortable. Take three weeks from work just before your next trip on medical leave. Tell them you have a note from a Doctor on theInternet.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Time to revive this thread for an update-

A month or two ago, I found a complete original and correct set of cabinets in great shape. They were pricey though. They were located an hour north of San Diego. I'm in Phoenix. I was texting with Gary (Aeromech) and he happened to be off this day. Gary offered to drive up, look at them and if they were in good shape, grab them. This is exactly what he did. He loaded them all up in his truck and hauled them to his house until I could drive over from PHX and pick them up. What a super thing he did! Thanks again Gary!

While I was trying to decide the best way to get them from SD to PHX, Stuart Z had driven down to San Diego with Notchbacks trailer and stuff from Seattle. Gary mentioned to Stuart I needed some cabinets moved to PHX. Stuart reached out to me and a deal was made for me to pay him to haul them out to PHX in his Vanagon. I had never met Stuart but had read his adventures on The Samba over the years. I "gently" reminded him to NOT text and drive (while my cabinets were onboard Wink ) and he promised he wouldn't!

So, Stuart's engine in his Vanagon was crapping out when he arrived in SD. He purchased a used, complete engine on Craigslist in SD. He installed it and did some test drives. He said it seemed to run fine. That night he crossed the desert with this unknown engine. Shocked Aw to be young, fearless and free. Stuart arrived the next morning and we unloaded. He then crashed out in his van. We spent the next day fixing some of his customers distributors and zinc plating some of his customers parts.

Stuart's a good guy and if you get a chance to meet him, do so. Thanks Stuart for hauling them across the desert for a reasonable fee.

Here's us with Stuart driving my bus and Eva bravely putting on a good face!

Now the bad part. The cabinets are in great shape. However, my bus was missing the head banger, sink/refrigerator and other misc pieces. The long cabinet was a poorly made copy of the original as was the seat. I pulled them all out of the bus. I'm now staring at a ton of work. Ugh! Crying or Very sad Before I install them, I'm going to need to-

* Remove the rear windows.
* Remove the rear hatch and sliding door.
* Gut the rest of the interior inside.
* Repaint the inside of the rear hatch and slider.
* Remove the paint off the hardware.
* Strip and re zinc plate the door striker plates, screws and hardware.
* Replace all the crappily made wood panels with the correct Baltic birch. Ceiling panels, side panels, rear hatch and sliding door panels need to be replaced.
* Someone in this buses past repainted the interior a bright white. Of course they happily oversprayed anything they could. Pulling parts or taping off these items that shouldn't have been painted didn't seem to be a thought to them. The good news is the paint they used adhered nicely. My plan is to pull the windows and everything else and then wet sand their repaint job, remove the overspray and then spray over it with the correct Pearl white.
* Fix the drivers side rear vent window.

The good news is there's no rust inside this bus. So, that will save a lot of time. I ordered and received the correct reproduction linoleum floor, aluminum entry track and the plastic guard from NLAVW.com who are in Great Britain. I give this company a strong thumbs up! Fantastic communication! Blazing fast shipping that arrived in less than 7 days. Super nice people as well. I will use them again.

Now, I need to find the time to chip away at this project while working full time, having a side business and other "wife" duties. Can't wait... Razz

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

The deconstruction continues of the interior of this bus so I can repaint the interior the correct color again. Since I've owned this bus, the drivers side rear vent wing window has been frozen. I couldn't turn the knob to clear the frame to see if it would swing open. The knob was stuck solid. I wanted to get this vent wing assembly out right away to see if it was all rusted out like many report. I'd then start searching for a replacement while working on the rest of the interior.

I got my gal to hold the window as I pried it and pushed it out with plastic screw drivers. I was thinking of cutting the window rubber but it was in good shape. I then I had the vent wing to pull. I've never removed one before. It took a minute to find the two clips. Once I pried them open, it popped out.

Once I got the vent assembly on the bench, I could see it looked better than I expected. The opening knob was simply frozen to it's mount. I sprayed some PB blaster in between the knob and mount and let it soak. Then, I hit it with a wooden block and it started to move. I was able to move it with a lot of force. It then it became easier and easier to move.

I finally knocked out the tiny roll pin and was able to get the knob off it's support. It was full of corrosion. I cleaned it out with a dremel and small wire wheel. I then sanded the mount smooth with 400 grit paper. Testing it on the mount, it started moving very smooth again. I applied some grease and mounted it and resecured it with the roll pin.

The frame had some nice rust developing on it where they usually rot out. The good news is the frame is very solid. I grinded off a frame mount assembly rivet to open the frame up and remove the glass. I plan on blasting all the rust off the frame in my blast cabinet. Then treat it with a rust converter followed by a few coats of semi gloss paint. I am happy to not have to damage my wallet by purchasing a replacement.

The vent wing rubber is either original or a VW dealer replacement. It's perfect still and soft. I don't think this vent wing has even been out of the bus. I'll remove Mr. Over-sprays paint off it and put it back on when the window frame is repainted.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

In between some fuel pump and distributor restorations, I blasted the rust off the drivers side rear vent frame. It certainly has some pits from the corrosion but the frame is still rock solid.

I also stripped and re-bright zinc plated the vent wing clamp and screw.

I got 99% of the rust blasted off the frame. I then neutralized the seam were it was tough to get it all out. Then, i primed the blasted areas with Zero Rust which also neutralizes any rust and then seals it tight. I plan to sand the whole frame down with 400 wet and dry sandpaper. Then paint the frame semi-gloss black

The vent wing clamp was starting to have rust break through as the original zinc plating was almost gone.

I stripped the corrosion off with an acid mix, wire wheel followed by a dip in the zinc plating tank followed by an additional blue chromate coating. Should be good for another 30 years.

blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

I have been getting into the depths of thesamba and found this awesome thread and was just going to see if you have gotten any further with the inside of you kombi?

Hope its going well
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

I’m digging the zinc plating. How much does such a setup cost?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I’m digging the zinc plating. How much does such a setup cost?

It depends on how exotic you go in setting up the plating station. There's lots of equipment needed to zinc plate correctly. I'd say a minimum of $600 with the cost of equipment and chemicals to get started.

The hard part is learning how to plate correctly. It took me a long time to get the process down right to get good, consistent results. Like anything else, I'm still learning too.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

So, it's only been 10 months since I took the interior apart Shocked No work has been done to this bus at all. My distributor/fuel pump restorations have kept me busy.

I've been recently "motivated/threatened" by the boss (Fiance) Shocked telling me to get the bus interior done so I can take the cabinets out of a bedroom they are being stored in. I have a few weeks before Thanksgiving guests arrive. So, I need to repaint the rear interior back to the original color quickly. Then reinstall the glass, put the new floor in followed by installing the cabinets.

So, after calling Gary and Robbie to remind me of a few things on the vent wing parts/assembly (since it's been 10 months since taking apart the wing window) I finished it. I first sprayed the frame with a rust converter paint to neutralize any remaining rust. I then put three coats of black on the frame.

I layed the parts out that I "thought" came from the vent window assembly. Then read a few old threads on this vent wing for additional reminders. I had already stripped the rust and old zinc off the tension clamp and re zinc plated it last year.

I had one rivet holding the frame off so I could easily remove the glass frame from the main assembly. I made a mistake twice in the reassembly steps. I first put the rubber gasket in the mainframe. Then I realized I couldn't get the glass and frame in. I yanked the rubber seal out and laid it in loose. Then, put the glass and it's frame back in the wrong direction. Finally, I put it back in the right direction so the two pins went in their spots. I then put the rubber seal in around it. Getting the rubber seal in was complicated by using the original VW rubber that was just a bit hard but in great condition.

I then put in a new aluminum rivet to close the frame together again.

Not a fun project by any means. The main frame was rusted at the bottom as most are but it was still rock solid after media blasting the rust off. I sealed it well with several coats of rust converting primer followed by 3 coats of paint. Hopefully this repair will last for decades to come.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Jump to:
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: